Sponsored

2022 Models - Press Release Dates

Caveman044

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURXR
Well if orders can't be placed until september plus a 10 or so week lead time, it will be about 7 months until I get mine. I don't know if I want to wait that long. Though I would be a little bummed if I were to miss out on uConnect 5 or the 35 inch tire option.

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
What is this gorilla glass? I've built a JLUR to my spec on the Jeep website, but didn't see any options for different glass.
The website is out of date. GG was added as an option in early May.

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
Well if orders can't be placed until september plus a 10 or so week lead time, it will be about 7 months until I get mine. I don't know if I want to wait that long. Though I would be a little bummed if I were to miss out on uConnect 5 or the 35 inch tire option.
If what sone dealers are reporting is true, production of 2022 doesn’t start until December 6th, so that likely means a January delivery date for 2022.

The salesman from Criswell made a good point also about the change over only being 2 days. Any significant changes usually take longer than that, this doesn’t bode well for Interior refresh for Uconnect5 unless the current system can be easily integrated into the current Jeep Wrangler design.

Rockstar08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
If what sone dealers are reporting is true, production of 2022 doesn’t start until December 6th, so that likely means a January delivery date for 2022.

The salesman from Criswell made a good point also about the change over only being 2 days. Any significant changes usually take longer than that, this doesn’t bode well for Interior refresh for Uconnect5 unless the current system can be easily integrated into the current Jeep Wrangler design.
Yeah I wouldn’t put any reliability in a sales person at a dealership knowing jack crap about how long Jeep is going to take to changeover the production line from 2021-2022...seriously..lol

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Yeah, I'm coming from a 15-year-old 4.8L V8 in my GMC pickup, so anything is probably going to be an improvement, both in terms of that "off-the-line" quickness and overall noise, lol.

That's what's giving me some hesitation. In my head, going from a 4.8L V8 to a 2.0L I4 just sounds like a huge step backwards, but I'm sure it's not, in reality. Plus the Wrangler likely weighs a lot less than a full-sized pickup, so there's less to get moving.
I have driven a few older V8 powered SUVs and Pick ups, The 2.0T feels faster. Some has to do with the transmission. The ZF 8-speed automatic is excellent and a perfect match with both engines. The ZF trans is a game changer.

Last edited:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What is this gorilla glass? I've built a JLUR to my spec on the Jeep website, but didn't see any options for different glass.
Gorilla Glass is supposedly a more durable glass windshield. The regular Mopar windshield is notoriously fragile.

The Jeep website is not updated at times. A lot of times. Your dealer can add it to your build.

Rogue Toad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Rubicon
Talked with my dealer today while taking delivery of a new JLUR, and he said he didn't expect 2022 ordering to open up "any time soon".

As a side note, a month ago I locked in at 7% under invoice. If I had ordered today, the best they could probably do is about 4% because of price increases, the market moving upward, other dealers doing the same, etc.

Take that for what you will.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I owned a "15 JK 3.6 and "19 JLR 2.0T with eTorque.

Definitely go test drive the 2.0T and 3.6. Both are great engines. I think you will be satisfied with the power. The 2.0T has noticeably more torque that peaks lower in the rpm band. It also has a flatter torque curve. That means the extra torque hides the weight of the Wrangler better. The extra torque makes the Wrangler feel more agile, it feels like it gets moving eaiser. This is very noticeable. Another benefit, the extra torque is great if anyone is planning on upgrading to larger heavier wheels and tires. Over all the 2.0T is a excellent motor but it has a short coming. The 2.0T is not as smooth or quiet as the 3.6. The noise is is not as noticeable on some Rubicon and Sahara models with certain options. The 2.0T Rubicon and Sahara optioned with the 8.4"/Alpine gets electronic Active Noise Control to make the cabin quieter. There are microphones in the cabin that electronically cancel engine, exterior and cabin noise.

The 3.6 is silky smooth and quieter so it does not get the electronic ANC. You can't go wrong with either engine choice.

You might be pleasantly surprised by waiting. Your trade might be worth MORE if you wait? Used car prices are still going up. Shop your cars around to Carmax, Carvana, Vroom and local dealers for baseline values. Take into consideration your State sales tax credits if your state has that.

I would definitely order the Gorilla Glass for $95. Anything has to be an improvement over the regular Mopar windshield.
That's completely the opposite of what I saw on all the dyno sheets of stock engines. The 2.0T runs out of power quickly and starts gasping for air. The torque curve is also very "peaky" and bell shaped. The 3.6L has a torque curve that's as flat and long as a Kansas highway. Granted, PEAK torque is lower on the 3.6, but there's a flatter and longer curve and it also makes more horsepower. That's probably why YouTube videos showed the 3.6 to be faster 0-60 and also while passing another car 40-60.

The major benefit of the 3.6L, at least the non-eTorque version, was that it didn't have all the complicated and sophisticated onboard systems that the 2.0T had. But I think that has changed some in the last year or so as they've moved the eTorque system around to different engines.

As far as the windshield, I've had 4 Wranglers and 2 Gladiators. I can't count how many miles I've put on them all combined. I haven't ever replaced a single windshield ever. And there's even a rock quarry 1.5 miles from my house with dump trucks on the roads constantly. I've never figured out how guys manage to break these windshields so frequently. BUT....that Gorilla glass windshield sounds interesting! They make them in a plant right down the road from where I live I think. I know that plant makes Gorilla Glass for Apple, I'm assuming they make windshields too.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's completely the opposite of what I saw on all the dyno sheets of stock engines. The 2.0T runs out of power quickly and starts gasping for air. The torque curve is also very "peaky" and bell shaped. The 3.6L has a torque curve that's as flat and long as a Kansas highway. Granted, PEAK torque is lower on the 3.6, but there's a flatter and longer curve and it also makes more horsepower. That's probably why YouTube videos showed the 3.6 to be faster 0-60 and also while passing another car 40-60.

The major benefit of the 3.6L, at least the non-eTorque version, was that it didn't have all the complicated and sophisticated onboard systems that the 2.0T had. But I think that has changed some in the last year or so as they've moved the eTorque system around to different engines.

As far as the windshield, I've had 4 Wranglers and 2 Gladiators. I can't count how many miles I've put on them all combined. I haven't ever replaced a single windshield ever. And there's even a rock quarry 1.5 miles from my house with dump trucks on the roads constantly. I've never figured out how guys manage to break these windshields so frequently. BUT....that Gorilla glass windshield sounds interesting! They make them in a plant right down the road from where I live I think. I know that plant makes Gorilla Glass for Apple, I'm assuming they make windshields too.
I advise any potential buyers to definitely drive both motors back to back and let their ass dyno make the decision. lol.

Have you driven identically geared models with the same tires, suspension, equipment back to back? Equipment matters because steel bumpers and gear is heavy. I have driven both motors in identical Rubicons a lot. My friend has my identical Rubicon but with the 3.6 ESS. Same bumpers so there was no real weight difference. Both with Rubicon gears, stock wheels, stock suspension, totally stock. My ass dyno prefers the the 2.0s torque. The torque comes in lower. Passing between 50-80 mph on the highway with the 2.0 is effortless. The 3.6 needs to rev more. The only negative of the 2.0 to me is it is not as quiet and smooth. The eTorque has been problem free. Much less problematic than ESS batteries leaving owners stranded. My 2.0 was problem free. I wish I could say the same about t the Uconnect 4 .

I sold my "19 2.0 JLR and am ready to order a 2022 whenever the order banks open. I want a 2-door JLR so not as many engine options. I really do not think there is a bad choice between the 20 and 3.6. Just personal preferences for drivng dynamics. Anyone wanting a automatic Rubicon with the 3.6 today will have to live with the eTorque. The 2.0 gets ESS. Both engines are reliable engines just different driving dynamics. Personally I liked the eTorque. It has been totally problem free. I would not hesitate buying another eTorque equipped engine.

I owned several Wranglers and never broke a windshield until the JL. I honestly was skeptical initially about all the reports of broken JL windshields. I am a true believer now after 3 JL windshields in the first 10-12 months of ownership. I would probably be on #4 if it were not for covid and driving less. So, yeah, I am going to jump and gladly pay $95 for the Gorilla Glass when I order. lol.

Last edited:

PocketsEmptied

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 JKUR, '21 JLUR
Have you actually driven identically geared models with the same tires back to back? With the same equipment. I suggest any potential buyers to drive both motors back to back. I have driven both motors a lot. Both with Rubicon gears. My ass dyno prefers the the 2.0s torque. The torque comes in lower. Passing between 50-80 mph on the highway with the 2.0 is effortless. The only negative of the 2.0 to me is it is not as quiet and smooth. The eTorque has been problem free. Much less problematic than ESS batteries leaving owners stranded. My 2.0 was problem free. I wish I could say the same about t the Uconnect 4 .

Anyone wanting a automatic Rubicon with the 3.6 today will have to live with the eTorque. The 2.0 gets ESS. Both engines are reliable engines just different driving dynamics.
I did the same and I agree. The 2.0T is snappier, had more torque throughout the range and was easier to drive in and around traffic where the 3.6 felt like it had to work real hard to deliver (it could - it'd just let you know it). My biggest complaint is the sound, the 3.6 sounded great but the 2.0T sounded like a lawnmower. All that being said I ended up ordering the 2.0T after many test drive outings of both JLURs.

Deleted member 67726

I'm almost positive that 2022 models get announced in beginning of July like last year and then when you can order one, I'm not sure I think the 392 order opened up in November? Not that I caught on until April though haha...they all just want to play games because of the chip shortage and materials shortages lol

I don't know how people ordered the Ford bronco last July and are still waiting for those, 100 dollar deposit, I would have walked from that as soon as I could lol...like the 2022 Ford f150 raptor r has to become like officially announced in another month or so here I would think...i follow the bronco 6g forum sometimes and I saw a lot of those people going and buying wranglers instead...lol

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm almost positive that 2022 models get announced in beginning of July like last year and then when you can order one, I'm not sure I think the 392 order opened up in November? Not that I caught on until April though haha...they all just want to play games because of the chip shortage and materials shortages lol

I don't know how people ordered the Ford bronco last July and are still waiting for those, 100 dollar deposit, I would have walked from that as soon as I could lol...like the 2022 Ford f150 raptor r has to become like officially announced in another month or so here I would think...i follow the bronco 6g forum sometimes and I saw a lot of those people going and buying wranglers instead...lol
Yeah, Ford is really behind with the Bronco. Their timeline and now all the delays might come back and bite them in the ass. The only positive is they have had extra time to work out QC and production issues. It better be reliable.

I herd Ford is giving some buyers $1000 incentives for waiting so long.

Deleted member 67726

Yeah, Ford is really behind with the Bronco. Their timeline and now all the delays might come back and bite them in the ass. The only positive is they have had extra time to work out QC and production issues. It better be reliable.

I herd Ford is giving some buyers $1000 incentives for waiting so long.
Yeah good point on it might be hashed out more with less issues!

I think I read they had hard top issues because it actually leaks, which is probably due to their design and making it so u can take it apart more than the wrangler one lol

The 1k off is only on everything except the bronco and the raptor basically lol
Sponsored