Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Marine, Full-time Overlander.
Yesterday, I hit 2000 miles on the odometer, and I wanted to let others know what they can expect as far as real world MPG on a 2022 JLURD. I know that this has been covered before, but I thought there might be some that would be interested in a recent example.

My Jeep is still stock. Rolling on 33" factory ATs, with no lift.

The first 940 miles was from Gupton Motors in Tennessee to Austin, Texas. I averaged around 80mph and my fuel consumption was 24 mpg. (edit: I originally said 27.3 mpg. I got dyslexic on my notes!)

The remaining miles were all local here in the Hill Country. You can't go more than a mile or so without going up a grade. The flip side of that is you can't go more than a mile or so without going down a grade. My average speed around here is about 5 mph under the speed limit simply because I am never in a hurry. I do not have a lead foot, even when on the interstate.

- 47% of my driving was the trip back home at highway speeds.
- Approximately 33% of my driving has been on two and four lane state highways going back and forth to my shop in Spicewood.
- Approximately 20% of my driving has been in traffic around the downtown Austin/Lakeway/Bee Cave area.

Outside of some maintained dirt roads I have not taken this wheeling yet. Too much work, and my wallet is still sore!

As you can see in the picture my combined MPG is 26.8, which I am really happy about.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLURD - 2000 Mile Diesel Fuel Mileage/DEF Report IMG_5882

@High-Strung asked about DEF consumption, and once I figured out how to get to the screen I took a picture. I am at a quarter of a tank left at 2073 miles on the odometer. I guess I need to go get me some DEF! Naw, I will wait until the light comes on.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLURD - 2000 Mile Diesel Fuel Mileage/DEF Report IMG_5886
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Astro Jeep

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
and that's why I am buying my second diesel Jeep, only problem diesel fuel costs seem to be on the up swing lately
That's true, but fuel always goes up, and down. Only problem is, is that over time it trends upward like everything else. My main purpose in buying a diesel is for the low end torque. I want to eventually spend my free time camping, and I want to pull an expedition trailer.

OP
OP
Astro Jeep

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
You already hit 2,000 miles on a 2022, while I still don't even know when I'm going to get mine yet. Congratulations!
Thank you, and yeah, I do. I wish it was all off road, but no dice. My shop is 20 miles from my apartment, so that adds up fast. Fortunately, I am moving in May so my commute will be a whole lot less. Also I had to edit my original post. I said 27.3 mpg for the first 940 miles. I misread my notes. It was 24 mpg for the trip back home.

Sponsored

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Plus A8 & F8 Green
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
As you can see in the picture my combined MPG is 26.8, which I am really happy about.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLURD - 2000 Mile Diesel Fuel Mileage/DEF Report IMG_5886
If the EVIC / Trip A (or B) calculations are anything like they are in several other current FCA vehicles.....your 26.8 mpg displayed average will not be representative over the entire 2000 miles. Generally....the last 200 to 300 miles is what the displayed average will be.

It would be interesting to see what your total miles traveled divided by your total gallons consumed (ie hand calculated) comes out to.

On a side note....you should look at purchasing the Road Trip HD app. I use it for my business as I run hotshot in a 2018 RAM 4500 Cab & Chassis.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLURD - 2000 Mile Diesel Fuel Mileage/DEF Report FFF59ACC-9CD0-4C30-B720-2039DB304F3E

Deleted member 59498

Not bad at all for 80mph

I am 70-75 so expect about the same.

Is on the boat almost to Anchorage now also!!! Maybe if lucky this week at dealer weekend for sure hopefully.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
Rub it in!😄 Great looking MPG, you need to be closer so I can bask in that silver zynith glory. I keep having to stop myself from buying parts for a vehicle that's not even in-state. :headbang:

OP
OP
Astro Jeep

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
If the EVIC / Trip A (or B) calculations are anything like they are in several other current FCA vehicles.....your 26.8 mpg displayed average will not be representative over the entire 2000 miles. Generally....the last 200 to 300 miles is what the displayed average will be.

It would be interesting to see what your total miles traveled divided by your total gallons consumed (ie hand calculated) comes out to.

On a side note....you should look at purchasing the Road Trip HD app. I use it for my business as I run hotshot in a 2018 RAM 4500 Cab & Chassis.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 JLURD - 2000 Mile Diesel Fuel Mileage/DEF Report FFF59ACC-9CD0-4C30-B720-2039DB304F3E
I did not know that about it being representative. That is good to know.

I just got home from my mother's house, and I filled up the tank there. It was 34 miles home and I averaged 30.1.

OP
OP
Astro Jeep

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Rub it in!😄 Great looking MPG, you need to be closer so I can bask in that silver zynith glory. I keep having to stop myself from buying parts for a vehicle that's not even in-state. :headbang:
I am moving my shop this summer, but I have no idea where I am moving yet.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Astro Jeep

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Not bad at all for 80mph

I am 70-75 so expect about the same.

Is on the boat almost to Anchorage now also!!! Maybe if lucky this week at dealer weekend for sure hopefully.
I hope you get it soon. I want to see pictures of it basking in that Alaska glory.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
I did not know that about it being representative. That is good to know.

I just got home from my mother's house, and I filled up the tank there. It was 34 miles home and I averaged 30.1.
Here's hoping I can see MPG like that for at least the break-in period, but the Derringer and PedalMonster next to me are telling me to keep dreaming after break-in. The plan is to keep them at conservative levels lol.
I am moving my shop this summer, but I have no idea where I am moving yet.
Probably don't want to be anywhere outside Texas or Florida.

OP
OP
Astro Jeep

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Here's hoping I can see MPG like that for at least the break-in period, but the Derringer and PedalMonster next to me are telling me to keep dreaming after break-in. The plan is to keep them at conservative levels lol. If I remember correctly, and I probably don't, I think the manual said there is no break-in period for the diesel. I just drove it at highway speeds right off the bat.

Probably don't want to be anywhere outside Texas or Florida.
I don't think I will be putting on a PetalMonster, or a Derringer. I am pretty happy with it as it is. Once I start towing an expedition trailer I might change my mind though. I am a pretty conservative driver. I am never in a rush.

I won't be going to Florida. I need a place to go camping! I am thinking the Dallas or Houston area. I need access to an employee pool that knows what they are doing. I am also thinking S.C. or N.C. since my biggest client is in S.C. I am not gonna start looking seriously until the end of April. My lease is up at the end of June. Fortunately it is just me and my son, and a few machines so it won't be too big of an operation.

Deleted member 59498

I don't think I will be putting on a PetalMonster, or a Derringer. I am pretty happy with it as it is. Once I start towing an expedition trailer I might change my mind though. I am a pretty conservative driver. I am never in a rush.

I won't be going to Florida. I need a place to go camping! I am thinking the Dallas or Houston area. I need access to an employee pool that knows what they are doing. I am also thinking S.C. or N.C. since my biggest client is in S.C. I am not gonna start looking seriously until the end of April. My lease is up at the end of June. Fortunately it is just me and my son, and a few machines so it won't be too big of an operation.
That is good to hear. I was thinking of dropping the money but will wait and see at this point and see how I like it.

I still think the 3.6 is a peppy engine with the manual, especially 3rd gear which is to me the power gear that you can get that tq and hp out of. I have never understood people saying it is wheezy or under powered. Can't wait to feel the Diesel.