2022 JLU 6MT low oil

nlicalsi91

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sahara, 2005 Land Cruiser, 2008 4Runner Limited V6
I picked up a new jlu 6 speed almost 2 months ago. Just hit 2900 miles and started getting really bad spark knock between 2,000-2500 rpm only in 3rd and 4th gear

I checked the oil and it was very low. Calling the dealer tomorrow to get an appointment. Has anyone else had this issue? I’ve seen a few others in the past with earlier year models but no one so far with a 2022.

CD78B30A-8420-45C7-8A69-D9F1C1C05386.jpeg

9305CE8B-533C-429B-8A1C-0C43B6E5053D.jpeg
Sponsored

sts90

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys Unlimited XR
Well based on my experience this month , a new engine at 2400 miles, you will need one. Also after speaking with the dealership doing the repair, faulty engines are effecting both 3.6 and 2.0. So this is not the engine type but a symptom of QC. Mine is second 22 needing a new engine this year across two dealerships.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
I picked up a new jlu 6 speed almost 2 months ago. Just hit 2900 miles and started getting really bad spark knock between 2,000-2500 rpm only in 3rd and 4th gear

I checked the oil and it was very low. Calling the dealer tomorrow to get an appointment. Has anyone else had this issue? I’ve seen a few others in the past with earlier year models but no one so far with a 2022.

CD78B30A-8420-45C7-8A69-D9F1C1C05386.jpeg

9305CE8B-533C-429B-8A1C-0C43B6E5053D.jpeg
the pics there basically show the level is fine ... especially when cold . Overfilling it can cause problems too!

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
That’s not very low at all.
+1 on this, that level is not very low it is right in the band. It isn't completely "full" but it certainly isn't low either. If it isn't burning oil or leaking on your driveway I wouldn't worry about it. Keep an eye on it, the dealer would probably just add 1/2 quart and send you on your way.

Edit: Remember, to check your oil on a level surface.

Sponsored

OP
OP
nlicalsi91

nlicalsi91

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve never had the oil on a dipstick drop like that. Old JK or gladiator. Do you all think that the reduced oil could have been causing the spark knock? I’ve been running 93 octane since I picked it up

58Willys

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Low oil will not cause spark knock. What makes you think you are getting pre-ignition/spark knock?

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
I’ve never had the oil on a dipstick drop like that. Old JK or gladiator. Do you all think that the reduced oil could have been causing the spark knock? I’ve been running 93 octane since I picked it up
Absolutely not... and with 93octane you should have 0 knock . now if u recall the level of oil was higher recently then yes u might have an issue but nothing to do with knock. Thats another issue

OP
OP
nlicalsi91

nlicalsi91

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Low oil will not cause spark knock. What makes you think you are getting pre-ignition/spark knock?
This is what I’m hearing in 3rd and 4th hear between 2000-2500rpm

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
This is what I’m hearing in 3rd and 4th hear between 2000-2500rpm

That sound is pretty bad.. I personally wouldn't run it like that ..u should not hear that at 2000 rpms at all

Sponsored

OP
OP
nlicalsi91

nlicalsi91

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That sound is pretty bad.. I personally wouldn't run it like that ..u should not hear that at 2000 rpms at all
That’s not my Jeep but mine sounds just like that in 3rd and 4th. The next appointment with a loaner I can get isn’t until mid to late October. Called the dealer I bought it from and 3 others on Long Island.

fdFifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
My '19 3.6 MT would briefly ping all of the time with load changes. 93 octane would help but you'd still get it every so often. What's shown in that video is definitely extreme and I'd be pretty concerned if it was running like that.

But in your instance, I'd take it in and see what the dealership says. If you look in the manual, it actually says that some pinging is typical. Personally, I don't find that to be acceptable but it's hard to know what if any damage takes place if it's supposedly accounted for in the design of the engine.

Hopefully, one of the dealerships can take a look and determine if there's another issue at play. In the meantime you can try continuing to run 93 to see if that helps. Temperature can also be a big factor, so you may not notice it as much as the weather begins to cool down. You can also try raising your shift points a bit (500 rpms or so). I didn't find that to make much of a difference for me, but it may be worth a try if theres a long wait to get into the dealership.

The oil level seems ok to me. Maybe a tad low but still within what I'd consider to be ok operating range.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
That’s not my Jeep but mine sounds just like that in 3rd and 4th. The next appointment with a loaner I can get isn’t until mid to late October. Called the dealer I bought it from and 3 others on Long Island.
weird .. that it is only audible in those gears as the higher gears put more load on the engine so , it should be audible ..if not, more audible in 5th and 6th. unfortunately, when one owns a jeep one must also own a second vehicle preferably not a jeep. By the way , that sound right there sound like rods slamming on a crank journal. This is not just simple pinging. This makes me question how u only hear it in two gears.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
My '19 3.6 MT would briefly ping all of the time with load changes. 93 octane would help but you'd still get it every so often. What's shown in that video is definitely extreme and I'd be pretty concerned if it was running like that.

But in your instance, I'd take it in and see what the dealership says. If you look in the manual, it actually says that some pinging is typical. Personally, I don't find that to be acceptable but it's hard to know what if any damage takes place if it's supposedly accounted for in the design of the engine.

Hopefully, one of the dealerships can take a look and determine if there's another issue at play. In the meantime you can try continuing to run 93 to see if that helps. Temperature can also be a big factor, so you may not notice it as much as the weather begins to cool down. You can also try raising your shift points a bit (500 rpms or so). I didn't find that to make much of a difference for me, but it may be worth a try if theres a long wait to get into the dealership.

The oil level seems ok to me. Maybe a tad low but still within what I'd consider to be ok operating range.
My experience with dealerships is piss poor. They will kick u out the door the first change they get as they see they cant make more or any money on you. They will tell ure imagining things and hearing unicorns sing. Unless the part falls off they'll try to discredit any grievances. As far as fuel.. I had to use 90plus octane and a small fuel additive bottle (lucas). This has basically gotten rid of my pinging that I would always suffer from when using anything lower . I don't care what chrysler says about pinging ... the sound is always a bad thing and especially if u want to keep it for longer time this is something to worry about. What happens in the long run is pretty much summed up in the video above..basically a festering wound.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Is the check engine light on? Any EGR codes?
Sponsored