Sponsored

Rockstar08

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I’m planning on ordering a 2022 JLUR with a 6spd MT. I don’t plan on going with bigger tires at any point. Would it not make sense to go with 4.88 gearing and stick with the 4.1 with the LT285 tire?
Yeah the point of the 4:88 gearing I think is for bigger tires mainly. Unless you do some crazy rock crawling the 4:88 gears would help a little but personally if it were me and I was only going to run the factory 33” tires I wouldn’t pay for the 4:88 gears.
Sponsored

Obispo325

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Chevy Tahoe and hopefully a Bright White JLUR
The order code is showing non painted 🤷‍♂️
Yeah. Jk. They did have them on that Willys for the announcement a couple weeks ago. I wonder if they just took a Rubicon and swapped stickers and the grill on it for the event then?

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah. Jk. They did have them on that Willys for the announcement a couple weeks ago. I wonder if they just took a Rubicon and swapped stickers and the grill on it for the event then?
I was surprised they showed painted. The code appears to be non painted with no option for painted but who knows.

they could have swapped hood and grille for event 😂

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
I’m planning on ordering a 2022 JLUR with a 6spd MT. I don’t plan on going with bigger tires at any point. Would it not make sense to go with 4.88 gearing and stick with the 4.1 with the LT285 tire?
I am no expert on "optimal" gearing in a manual. Can only speak of my own preferences and experiences of driving manual vehicles for 20 years and now driving my own 6sp manual with 4.10s on both OEM KO2s and now larger heavier 35 inch Nitto TGs.

My experience with 4.10s and 33s:
ON ROAD/4HI/2WD: OEM setup is good from driver experience perspective. In my opinion, all manual jeeps should have 4.10s from the factory. The only complaint I have with 4.10s was reverse (too tall). Also, a lot of other MT drivers also seem to think that 6th gear is useless with the 4.10s at highway speeds (can't 'maintain speed or pass in 6th'). I personally was totally fine with highway I live at sea level and highways I drive on are flat-ish. So I say 4.10s are very good and but not for these two concerns, I would even go on to say OEM 4.10s and 33s are great for standard usage.

OFF ROAD/4LO: I like lower gearing as I like going really really slow on trails. Think tractor. The 4.10s could be shorter, even with 33s. I wanted shorter than 4.10s even with 33s.

My experience with 4.10s and 35s:
On ROAD Driving still totally acceptable albeit with less off the line ease. OFFROAD/4LO the 4:1 rubicon transfer case is significant gear reduction so still incredibly capable. That said. No question for me. 4.56s would be better and even better than that, the 4.88s Jeep is now offering. In my area, regearing apparently runs $2,500. $900 cost for this option would have been zero question.

Again, just my opinion commingled with my personal preferences of how I want my own Jeep to drive. Hope it helps you in your decision @Orcman84.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
Yeah the point of the 4:88 gearing I think is for bigger tires mainly. Unless you do some crazy rock crawling the 4:88 gears would help a little but personally if it were me and I was only going to run the factory 33” tires I wouldn’t pay for the 4:88 gears.
@Rockstar08 said it much more succinctly than me. I share the same thoughts.

Sponsored

89speedy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Willys
So when is the order bank opening? Thought it would pop on October 5....

MRV861792

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep MOAB (Sold); (Waiting) 22 Rubicon w/XR
Occupation
Executive Project Manager / Risk Consultant
Based on what Jeep has said, the following is known:

1. XR will eventually be available with a manual.

2. XR manual will be available with 4.88s.

What is unknown is:

1. When the manual XR will be available.

2. Whether the auto can get 4.88s.

3. Whether the manual can get 4.56s.
Your correct - I'm about to order a 2022 Rubicon with the XR package and really wanted the manual transmission but I believe (not 100% sure), it's available on the Willy's and not the Rubicon at this point.

Deadpool_JL

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Islander 2.0T Firecracker Red
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT
No Uconnect 5. That’s disappointing.

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
For my 2021 build, comparing the last 2021 build sheet to the new 2022 build sheet, 2022 Invoice is $1971 less, MSRP is $2496 less. The only difference in options between the two is the Mopar HD Rock Slider w/Step Assist doesn't appear to be available for 2022. That was $878 and $975 for invoice and MSRP.

On my POC for my JLUR on 8/21, MSRP was $59,170, my dealer knocked off $2k no questions asked. I was a novice, hadn't discovered JLWranglerForums. It was my first time ordering any vehicle. With the chip and inventory shortages I really didn't know what to expect. I went in assuming MSRP, so I was happy with $2k less at $57,170.

Then I discovered JLWranglerForums and found out about TreadLightly. So I signed up for that and called my dealer and he said he would honor the 1% under invoice. On 9/29 I got my control number and emailed it along with my TL welcome letter. He responded and confirmed since the order was placed before 10/1 they would still honor the 1% under invoice discount.

1% under my 2021 invoice (Aug Build Sheet) is $55,000. Even after adding the cost of the RockSlider w/Step Assist to the 2022 FWP the 2022 invoice is $537 less than the $55k.

It will be interesting to see what my final invoice is when my 2021 is delivered.
wow, you have a very nice dealer!!! My dealer sale's guy point-blank told me that they are not accepting any special pricing or supplier discounts (1% under invoice). Three other dealers told me the same story. My price was MSRP, take it or leave it. My guess is your dealer was a bit more flexible since you ordered a fully loaded Wrangler so their profit margin was more. I ordered a Willys with a manual and soft top! No extras. My OTD pricing was less than $50K

Sponsored

Garemlin

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys Gladiator
I thought Moab was the Mopar option, and Morphic was the 3rd party Mopar look alike to the Moab wheels, only slightly wider. Could be wrong.
I thought that was the name of them. I know Quadratec calls them that. But they are the same wheels that came on the Launch Edition Gladiator.

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe (wife's)
wow, you have a very nice dealer!!! My dealer sale's guy point-blank told me that they are not accepting any special pricing or supplier discounts (1% under invoice). Three other dealers told me the same story. My price was MSRP, take it or leave it. My guess is your dealer was a bit more flexible since you ordered a fully loaded Wrangler so their profit margin was more. I ordered a Willys with a manual and soft top! No extras. My OTD pricing was less than $50K
When did you order? I ordered mine on 8/21, more than a month before Wrangler was removed from AR programs. Others have reported if you placed a sold order prior to 10/1 then FCA would still Honor the AR program pricing. This is almost word for word what my dealer told me.

My dealer is part of a large dealer group in the Twin Cities. I've bought several vehicles from them over the years. They've always been very good to deal with. I'm confident they'll hold up their end.

wfo9

First Name
Britt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Truggy, Tube Buggy on 43s, 4Runner, JLU XR
What's the pros/cons or difference between 4.56s and 4.88s. Thanks!!
The 4:88s help with the crawl ratio in 4Lo.. This is more important on a manual.. With an auto the torque converter acts as another reduction gear of sorts (somewhere near a another 1.75 reduction) in slow technical terrain.. You simply need a much lower crawl ratio with a manual compared to an auto even if the transmission 1st gear ratios are the same.