Sponsored

Apples491

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR in Hydro Blue, 2004 Lexus GX470
The factor that causes the rollover is the driver side tire being forced under the vehicle. Slow the video down to .25 speed and you can watch it compress under the frame and then pogo the jeep up on two wheels. Ford addressed this on the Bronco with the crash bars. I'm surprised it's such a difficult thing for Jeep to suss out. Further, I wonder if a solid set of frame mounted sliders would be enough to act as a impromptu crash bar.

Sponsored

Bikemobile

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Vehicle Showcase
Meh, what about with wheel spacers and 33’s? Steel bumpers and winch and a trunk full of recovery gear and beef jerky. With m.o.r.e skid plates and 1/4” steel diff covers my cog is so low i’ll never roll… rear sway delete also. Oops screwed again

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I agree. In real life hopefully you don't hit at this exact point on the Wrangler. However, Stellantis knew exactly how IIHS was going to test it so why they attempted a fix that didn't improve it is beyond me.
What you're describing sounds a lot like what graphics cards manufacturers keep getting caught doing: they design their product to achieve high scores on the specific tests, but those cards perform poorly in real life use cases.

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
I got hit on the freeway and forced into a concrete wall driver side first at about 50+ mph. Spun around once before coming to a stop. No rollover and walked away with no injuries. That's a good enough test for me.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 Jeep Wrangler 4-Door Tips Over Again In IIHS Crash Test IMG_1057.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 Jeep Wrangler 4-Door Tips Over Again In IIHS Crash Test IMG_1127 (1)

Sponsored

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Stellantis - just add a damn side curtain airbag and stop trying to fix something that is not tenable to a purpose-built vehicle. Wrangler is not representative of a road car.

Last edited:

bkgray115

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I did this test at 72 MPH is my 2014 JKU. with a steel bumper it doesn't roll over. it spins like a top then does a hand stand (see the U shapped teraflex monster track bar) then falls down on top of the rails! roll over? only in a mall crawling sport!

20190123_105100.jpg

20190123_105110.jpg

received_543379652820860.jpeg

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
People focus too much on the fact that it lands on its side. I'd rather have the momentum of the impact slow gradually over time than come to an abrupt stop. The force of impact is lessened the more the vehicle can continue moving... even if that means going on its side. I randomly watched a few small overlap impacts on youtube, and watch how violently this one comes to a stop. No thanks.
Isn't that the one Tiger Woods flipped?

Sponsored

Quadjeeper

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
Occupation
retired
People focus too much on the fact that it lands on its side. I'd rather have the momentum of the impact slow gradually over time than come to an abrupt stop. The force of impact is lessened the more the vehicle can continue moving... even if that means going on its side. I randomly watched a few small overlap impacts on youtube, and watch how violently this one comes to a stop. No thanks.
You have a valid point there.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Does the test only run with the top off?
not always, but jeep states that the top has zero structural support due to the ability of having a soft top, hard top, and it's top being removable

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
This test is TOTALLY INVALID! That Jeep didn’t have a 3” lift and 37s. How on Earth can that be anywhere near a real world test?