Sponsored

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
It does confirm one thing for me, that plastic bumper doesn't do a damn thing. It just folded in at the frame mounting point and snapped right back.

And no wonder it flipped, look where they struck the barrier. 1/8" outside of the front frame. The bend in the frame at the back of the front wheel well pushed the entire Jeep (and passenger compartment) aside away from the barrier. The barrier was stuck at the perfect position to cause maximum lateral deflection. It literally followed the frame down to the bend at the back of the front wheel well and pushed the Jeep aside by the frame.

IMO, a steel bumper would have a different outcome (it would absorb energy and spread out the lateral deflection). If the Jeep struck the barrier 1" closer to the center (and hit the frame) or 2" further towards the outside (and missed the bend in the frame) both would have different outcomes. I'm not concerned about the engineering aspect of it. This is a very specific scenario that hits the barrier just right.

Personally, I'd rather have a deflecting impact and end up on my side than an impact that is 100% absorbed by the vehicle and stay on the tires.
I agree. In real life hopefully you don't hit at this exact point on the Wrangler. However, Stellantis knew exactly how IIHS was going to test it so why they attempted a fix that didn't improve it is beyond me.
Sponsored

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm no engineer mind you, but how could they fix the problem without redesigning the entire styling of the vehicle? The small overlap test just hits plastic and tire on the wrangler, and by the time the majority of the energy from the impact contacts the actual body, the angle of the hit is going to be conducive to forcing a rollover.
I don't know. But my point is that Jeep thought they could, apparently, because they made modifications and then presented it for retesting. It would have been way better to do nothing and chalk it up to inescapable design if that was the case.

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Marine, Full-time Overlander.
Not a realistic test, unless you are drinking and driving and run into an immovable object. If that is the case your drunk ass is gonna flip.

Sponsored

NewbJLUOwner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Diesel 2022
Vehicle Showcase
My 2 cents
This test shows what would happen hitting another vehicle or an object, without stopping or slowing down, at a significant speed. That means the driver would have to be completely distracted, asleep, or dui/dwi has happened
However, most drivers in real world applications, would have slowed down, veered, or avoided this impact
The reality is, if someone runs into the front or rear of my Jeep or hits me from behind, then quite frankly, I'm feeling very safe & very sorry for them.

Gossamer

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, Tesla M3P
43,000 US road deaths last year. That's a lot of flipped Jeeps.

desmo2

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 TJ '97-'11. '21 billet silver JLR
So, we all agree that a Wrangler is one of the most off-road capable vehicles in mass production.

Yet, when subjected to crash tests built for road-going cars, we are supposed to get flustered because our Wrangler didn't conform to the standard?

Well, duh. It is built differently, with a different focus. I am honestly happy enough with how modern safety standards have massively improved the Wrangler's crash performance from its old CJ days.

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
People focus too much on the fact that it lands on its side. I'd rather have the momentum of the impact slow gradually over time than come to an abrupt stop. The force of impact is lessened the more the vehicle can continue moving... even if that means going on its side. I randomly watched a few small overlap impacts on youtube, and watch how violently this one comes to a stop. No thanks.
This is my thought in general. We as people are squishy and our soft bits really don’t like drastic changes in momentum.

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I agree. In real life hopefully you don't hit at this exact point on the Wrangler. However, Stellantis knew exactly how IIHS was going to test it so why they attempted a fix that didn't improve it is beyond me.
Why do you keep saying they attempted to fix this specific non-problem? What are you referring to?

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I am a structural engineer and refuse to criticize the engineers involved here. In fact, I will guess my odds of rolling over on my side will be off-road rather than on, and at a much slower speed.

Besides, I am guessing my aftermarket aluminum bumper solved this issue. :rock:

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why do you keep saying they attempted to fix this specific non-problem? What are you referring to?
When IIHS tested a 2019 Wrangler a few years ago, it flipped in this same test in exactly the same way. Stellantis spent the next few years making fixes and the 2022 model has those changes. But now it's failed again.

The 2022 Jeep Wrangler 4-door tipped over in the driver-side small overlap crash test in a repeat of a problem shown by an earlier model. Structural modifications made by the manufacturer did not eliminate the issue.
. . .
Stellantis had been working to address this issue since the test of the 2019 model brought it to light.
https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/jeep-wrangler-tips-over-in-crash-test-despite-modifications

And here's the original test story from 2020: https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/jeep-wrangler-tips-over-during-iihs-crash-test

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Yes, but keep in mind I'm not commenting on the safety aspect of it. Just the massive engineering failure, which has implications throughout the vehicle (corroding hinges, anyone?). Whether you care or not about their goal, Jeep ought to be able to reliably assess whether they can pass the test following their modifications. They can't even do that. They keep producing vehicles that they believe pass and then they get surprised with failures.
Keep in mind the cost factor. There's a million engineers out there throttled back by a few accountants.
Sponsored