First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 TJ
Link: https://www.autoblog.com/2021/09/27/2022-jeep-wrangler-xtreme-recon/

2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Xtreme Recon First Drive | Bracing for Bigfoot
Jeep adds factory 35s and another lift. Is that enough to slay the 'Squatch?

IMG_7604.jpg

Ford has only just waded back into the 4x4 SUV pond with the introduction of the revived Bronco, yet 2021 has already become a year of competitive escalation. Even before Bronco officially went into production, Jeep answered back with the V8-powered Rubicon 392 and the plug-in hybrid 4xe. And then, just as Bronco’s new Sasquatch package was about assert its dominance, Jeep announced its own 35-inch tire package, parrying Ford’s attempt at one-upmanship.

That package results in the 2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Xtreme Recon. Jeep actually made it available on the Rubicon and Rubicon 392 for the very end of 2021 model year production, but examples have been thin on the ground. Lo and behold, Jeep brought some along to a media event during which it was announced that the package will also be offered on the Wrangler Willys for 2022.

In addition to 35-inch BF Goodrich KO2 All-Terrain Tires (LT315/70R17C) on bead-lock ready 17-inch wheels, the Xtreme Recon package adds a new 4.56:1 axle ratio and a factory 1.5-inch lift with new shocks tuned for the job. The total lift is actually more like 2.0 inches over the standard Rubicon since the tires themselves contribute a bit to the Wrangler's ride height. Jeep also fits the Xtreme Recons with reinforced tailgate swing-arms to help prevent fatigue from the heavier spare.

Image-from-iOS-93.jpg

The extra ground clearance translates to what are, at least for the moment, best-in-class figures for approach angle (47.4 degrees), breakover angle (26.7 degrees), departure angle (40.4 degrees), ground clearance (12.9 inches) and water fording (33.6 inches). And they had the decency to invite us to an off-road park to show it off.

Jeep’s event came ahead of Detroit 4Fest, which took over Holly Oaks ORV Park in southeast Michigan Sept. 25-26 – the same week that saw Motor Bella’s second preview day canceled due to flooding. The monsoonal September continued to reshape the park even as we ventured into it; to say things were a bit sloppy would be an understatement.

The dirt at Holly Oaks is the sort of fine, dusty cast-off that turns immediately into sloppy potter’s clay if you so much as spit in it. After the 5-plus inches of rain, the property looks like one giant bowl of half-melted chocolate ice cream. KO2s at the corners or not, mud is challenging for street trucks, and Jeep mapped out a series of tests designed to give us a feel for the extra lift and big tires without concern that we’d spend half the time testing the tow hooks.

IMG_7597.jpg

The already-battered hills took a mighty pounding from our team of Rubicons and Rubicon 392s. We chose the former, and were thankful for it, as the lighter nose trivialized some soft slopes that gave way under the heavier V8-powered trucks. A Rubicon 4xe that came along as a support vehicle also fell victim to its extra mass, bogging down in a fender-height puddle under which lurked the sort of muck that will enthusiastically dislodge a combat boot.

The Xtreme Recon’s added ground clearance trivializes a lot of ground obstacles, but the added height comes at a cost. The big tires can’t swing as far as the smaller, skinnier offerings on other Rubicons, and the added resistance from the wider rubber translates to extra heft in the wheel, especially when going full-lock in tight spaces. Jeep does not call out the Xtreme Recon’s turning diameter specifically in the Wrangler’s tech specs, but we’d bet good money it’s a little bit larger. This is exacerbated in 4WD, where drivetrain binding makes tight maneuvering difficult, especially in a long-wheelbase Unlimited. As a result, Jeep’s segment-besting figures do need the tiniest asterisk.

IMG_02592.jpg

And impressive as the Xtreme Recons may be, they require you to purchase a four-door. Ford dealers will gladly sell you a Sasquatch-package two-door Bronco (provided you’re cool with spending $20,000 over sticker for a car that already has several thousand of somebody else’s miles on it) and while the Rubicon Unlimited Xtreme Recon may have the edge on paper, we’d probably trade its loft for the Bronco’s smaller footprint. Jeep could resolve this easily by offering Xtreme Recon on its two-doors, and if enough customers ask, we’re confident it will happen.

Regardless of which vehicle you add it to (Rubi, Rubi 392 or Willys), it’s a $3,995 option. A Willys with only Xtreme Recon starts at $40,930 (including $1,495 for destination). That puts 35-inch tires in reach of some of Jeep’s more frugal customers, certainly, but unlike Ford’s Sasquatch package, Xtreme Recon doesn’t include locking differentials. They’re standard on the Rubicons, of course, but not available on the Willys, even as an option. For the dedicated off-roader, that makes a two-door Sasquatch a much better buy at its sticker price of $37,380. Pfft. Good luck with that.

Our time with the Xtreme Recon was short and we were unable to sample it on the street, where we expect its shortcomings will be even more pronounced, but for those who want off-road superiority (or at least the look of it) without sacrificing a warranty, it’s not a terrible deal.
Sponsored

ridesaway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Unlimited Sport; 2014 Dodge Durango, 2009 Dodge Ram
Thanks for posting.
The 2-door vs 4-door is a good point of conversation but the lockers on "lesser" than Rubi-models is a great point. Not just to go against the Bronco but in the market of off-road ready from the dealer vehicles such as Ranger, Tacoma, and Pro 4x (yes these are trucks and the Gladiator direct competition) but are also long-time comparables to the Wrangler for off-road function.

blueweb

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 TJ Rubicon, '22 4xe Rubicon
The Xtreme Recon package is still very limited in my opinion. I can't select the Xtreme Recon package in a two-door model, with the 2.0-liter engine, in a 4xe variant, EcoDiesel, nor with the 6-speed manual transmission.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Thanks for posting.
The 2-door vs 4-door is a good point of conversation but the lockers on "lesser" than Rubi-models is a great point. Not just to go against the Bronco but in the market of off-road ready from the dealer vehicles such as Ranger, Tacoma, and Pro 4x (yes these are trucks and the Gladiator direct competition) but are also long-time comparables to the Wrangler for off-road function.
Ford and Toyota don't provide locker(s) in all trims either. I really don't think offering a locker package, whatever it is called, XR, Sasquatch, when it is available as a Rubicon makes good business sense. I've posted it before, but it complicates and adds complexity which is why something like the Bronco launch has been an utter failure.

Also, the Wrangler is the pinnacle of off road, even in the Sport trim. Making every trim more equal dilutes all of the other trims. Best to offer only a handful of trims and let the buyer make their Jeep, their Jeep. Kinda the definition of it's a Jeep thing, they are all so customizable, that they end up being unique(ish).

Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
The only advantage I see for the XR package is the 4.56 gears. Everything else is an easy aftermarket upgrade. As for lockers, you're better off adding those to the Willys since the D-44 ones on the Rubicins are prone to sensor failure.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
The only advantage I see for the XR package is the 4.56 gears. Everything else is an easy aftermarket upgrade. As for lockers, you're better off adding those to the Willys since the D-44 ones on the Rubicins are prone to sensor failure.
While it’s true that you could bolt on the iron knuckles, bigger rear brakes, and stronger front axle from the XR, doing so wouldn’t be easy.

Sponsored

byhumba

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Too bad they could not test drive on the streets. I'm eager to see how it performs on road and test it next to an original 392 offroad.

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
And Jeep has pretty much forgotten about the 2 door models. I doubt any upgraded package will be offered.
I was just told the XR will be offered on a two door Willys in 2022. I just have to find confirmation on it now.

RubiJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and 1992 Suzuki Sidekick
I find it odd they used a 1.5" lift instead of the Mopar 2" lift. Should we read between the lines and if the 1.5" lift is better will it be offered?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I am so over this non-stop coverage of XR. It is as if suddenly no other Wrangler is capable of tackling the trails. Which is far from the truth.

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
I am so over this non-stop coverage of XR. It is as if suddenly no other Wrangler is capable of tackling the trails. Which is far from the truth.
It's just like the new hot chick that transferred into high school :LOL:
Sponsored