Sponsored

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
I would be very surprised if Jeep doesn't AXE the base sport. They had no competition. So they nickle and dimed every single option from their loyal customers. Realistically, the Bronco will cannibalize the Sport market and eat it away if they could keep up with demand. If you take a Base Sport Vs. Base Bronco. At least you have power locks, windows, and android auto / apple carplay. I don't see Jeep sticking with the Sport for 22' or 23'. It would be a stupid decision to allow potential new customers coming into the Jeep market to transition to Ford instead.

If I saw both side by side for the same price and I was on a budget. I would go with the Bronco.

I have a Willys Sport JT and had a Sport JLU before. I can't stand the manual locks, but I didn't want to spend a few extra grand for it. I don't mind the windows.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I would be very surprised if Jeep doesn't AXE the base sport. They had no competition. So they nickle and dimed every single option from their loyal customers. Realistically, the Bronco will cannibalize the Sport market and eat it away if they could keep up with demand. If you take a Base Sport Vs. Base Bronco. At least you have power locks, windows, and android auto / apple carplay. I don't see Jeep sticking with the Sport for 22' or 23'. It would be a stupid decision to allow potential new customers coming into the Jeep market to transition to Ford instead.

If I saw both side by side for the same price and I was on a budget. I would go with the Bronco.

I have a Willys Sport JT and had a Sport JLU before. I can't stand the manual locks, but I didn't want to spend a few extra grand for it. I don't mind the windows.
I think you underestimate the number of off roaders who want absolute bare bones. Whether it's because they feel it's more rugged, has less to go wrong, or just want the most basic of features, there are a whole bunch of them out there. I think it would be stupid on Jeeps part to become more like the Bronco in an attempt to compete. As of now, those bare bones buyers only have 1 option. Making the base identical to the Bronco would drive more buyers away than it would draw in.

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I think you underestimate the number of off roaders who want absolute bare bones. Whether it's because they feel it's more rugged, has less to go wrong, or just want the most basic of features, there are a whole bunch of them out there. I think it would be stupid on Jeeps part to become more like the Bronco in an attempt to compete. As of now, those bare bones buyers only have 1 option. Making the base identical to the Bronco would drive more buyers away than it would draw in.
On the contrary, I think you may over estimate how much the bare bones buyers impact the decisions of a multi-billion dollar global company. I think Jeep keeps the Sport more for the Wrangler’s branding than the actual sales demand or the profit stream from those buyers.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
On the contrary, I think you may over estimate how much the bare bones buyers impact the decisions of a multi-billion dollar global company. I think Jeep keeps the Sport more for the Wrangler’s branding than the actual sales demand or the profit stream from those buyers.
If the branding gets them into the Jeep dealer over the Ford dealer, doesn't it benefit Jeep even more if they end up buying a Sport s, Sahara, or Rubicon? The illusion of basic and utilitarian holds value, even if buyers realize, especially a 4 door, shouldn't have manual locks.

Sponsored

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
If the branding gets them into the Jeep dealer over the Ford dealer, doesn't it benefit Jeep even more if they end up buying a Sport s, Sahara, or Rubicon? The illusion of basic and utilitarian holds value, even if buyers realize, especially a 4 door, shouldn't have manual locks.
That’s a big if, but absolutely. It would surprise me one bit if the true base Sport is essentially a loss leader.

Gunfighter

First Name
P.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler High Altitude
Occupation
Trying not to get warning points
Vehicle Showcase
I think you underestimate the number of off roaders who want absolute bare bones. Whether it's because they feel it's more rugged, has less to go wrong, or just want the most basic of features, there are a whole bunch of them out there.
I have asked a couple dealers what they sell most of. They all said the Sport model - whether it's people wanting to get a Jeep at the cheap, or simply because the real hard core off road guys are simply going to mod the heck of them with more rugged stuff than what the Rubicon already comes with anyway. The axles, lockers, bumpers, lifts, tires/wheels, etc....

CrimsonGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Watching the debut video and a few things caught my eye.
Jim Morrison refers to it as "Willys Wheeler" like the package available in the JK.
It sounded like he introduced it as the Willys Extreme Recon 392.
He pronounces Willys with a long "E". (Great for the debate)
He refers to the model as a $39,435 Offroad Ready Jeep, but it had half doors on it.

Am I missing anything?

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
I KNOW this has been said... but the Willy's is a wasted trim.

"Oooooo a black grill and mud terrains!"

If the Willy's is supposed to be a pseudo-military trim, it should have a rear locker. Period. That would fill the gap between the Sport S and Rubicon VERY nicely.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I KNOW this has been said... but the Willy's is a wasted trim.

"Oooooo a black grill and mud terrains!"

If the Willy's is supposed to be a pseudo-military trim, it should have a rear locker. Period. That would fill the gap between the Sport S and Rubicon VERY nicely.
Agreed. It should have a rear locker. But it isn't "wasted". The willys sport is a great "budget" package. The Willys is a better value than a Sport S similarly optioned.

Now in terms of the LSD. It gets bad rep on the forums, but in real life it is actually quite good. I was wheeling yesterday with a stock 2 door Willys and a JK Rubicon on 35s. The Willys was able to do everything the Rubi did. In fact, there was a spot the Rubi had to turn his rear locker cause it was stuck. I saw the Willys go through it, I saw that rear tire lock instantly it was really cool. Not Jerky like BLD, it just locked and looked like a locker.

I have a rear LSD in my Jeep too and it has served me very well. It is when you lift a rear tire when you are like "crap I need a locker". Other than that it works phenomenal. But this happened to me yesterday too, and we had to do some magic to get me unstuck but we did it. The Rubicon, with lockers got stuck too on the same obstacle and had to use some momentum to get through it anyway. It did it slightly easier than my Jeep. But we both did it. A locker will always serve a Jeep better than a LSD, but the LSD is fine and the Willys is not a "wasted' package.

Sanchese

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Rubicon, 2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon on Order
I think if you are going to spend the extra money then just spend a bit more and get the Rubicon.
Life is short.
Enjoy your jeep to the fullest.

Jeepers do not like their jeeps!
They LOVE them.
Get the best! You are worth it!

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed. It should have a rear locker. But it isn't "wasted". The willys sport is a great "budget" package. The Willys is a better value than a Sport S similarly optioned.

Now in terms of the LSD. It gets bad rep on the forums, but in real life it is actually quite good. I was wheeling yesterday with a stock 2 door Willys and a JK Rubicon on 35s. The Willys was able to do everything the Rubi did. In fact, there was a spot the Rubi had to turn his rear locker cause it was stuck. I saw the Willys go through it, I saw that rear tire lock instantly it was really cool. Not Jerky like BLD, it just locked and looked like a locker.

I have a rear LSD in my Jeep too and it has served me very well. It is when you lift a rear tire when you are like "crap I need a locker". Other than that it works phenomenal. But this happened to me yesterday too, and we had to do some magic to get me unstuck but we did it. The Rubicon, with lockers got stuck too on the same obstacle and had to use some momentum to get through it anyway. It did it slightly easier than my Jeep. But we both did it. A locker will always serve a Jeep better than a LSD, but the LSD is fine and the Willys is not a "wasted' package.
An option for the Sport S to have the LSD would fill yet another gap.

But a true, rear only, locker in the Willy's as a standard feature would be amazing.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
I'd like mine to have a Detroit locker like my old Scouts did. Clunky, but never failed. Ever. We'll see how long the OEM LSD lasts. Probably a long time with the BLD keeping the stress off of it. That, and I don't just hammer the hell outta my Jeep like I did with the Scouts way back when.

I know that E lockers are very reliable right now, but Jeep/Dana/Advantek needs to make the sensor serviceable.

Rescue119

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2021 Jeep GC L Limited
i hope my 21 Willys gets built soon then if they are switching to 22s in Dec. lol

theres a new bronco finally at the local dealership. white. mid range outer banks package. been sitting for a week now for sale. meh. not tempted at all.
Sponsored