Sponsored

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal
i just ordered mine. did you get yours yet?
It’s long wait. You will be lucky to see it before 10-12 weeks but prepare for longer. I’ve been waiting since October for my Rubi XR. 2022 didn’t start production till Dec16 so there was some back up in production. Good luck though I hope you get yours quickly.

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
Fast forward into the future from when i previously posted in this thread. The NOW. We have found out a lot of details since the initial announcement of the Willys XR.
I decided to get the 2022 Willys Xtreme Recon for a couple of reasons.

1. Heavy duty front wide track D44 with iron knuckles.

2. Factory Lift.

3. Factory 35 inch K02 tires

3. Reinforced tailgate.

4. Really nice Factory bead lock capable wheels.

5. 4.56 gears

6. 2.0T engine now available

There's other things like the rock sliders and stuff but they're not as important. For the money those important items I listed are a big deal price wise. When I broke it down between this or a standard Rubicon for me the Willys XR won. Keep in mind I'm on a budget and off road bits are more important then interior creature comforts of the Rubicon. Especially now with the price increases. So I'm not saying one is better then then other I'm only speaking for me and my budget and what makes sense for my build and pocket.

The standard Rubicon 2.0T 4 door Auto msrp around $49k and gets none of those upgrades I listed above. Still has 4.10 gears and regular D44 axle ect ect. To get those upgrades above of the Willys XR you have to go to the Rubicon XR package which starts at $55k msrp.

So I decided with Willys Sport Extreme Recon with the 2.0T Auto. Which comes out to around $43kish msrp. I get a ton of heavy duty important upgrades straight from the factory over the standard Rubicon and I can add electronic Eaton lockers installed for $3k if i decide I want them. Or just add one for $1,600 to the front since the Willys come with rear LSD. Which still comes in cheaper. That build would be an absolute true off road beast for the money. Also the non power doors will be easier to take off and not wrestle with that wiring harness on every door. And the fact that ill have the doors off most of the time in the Summer that's a plus.

Other things that pushed me in this direction was the styling. I love the military styling and blacked out accents of the Willys. Add in the Limited time Gobi color option and this thing is going to look sick!! Yes I went with Gobi my dream color. I'm so pumped they brought it back. And i love the way the Xtreme Recon looks straight from the factory. And a rig that looks good right from the start without adding anything is HUGE for me!!

Also a quick highlight why I went with the 2.0T? With gas prices at $5.00 a gallon it's a no brainer. Ive seen people get 27mpg with it. That's the direction all the Auto makers are heading for good anyway. Small Turbo engines that make good power and Electric. I also love the fact that with a Tune the 2.0T makes the power of a small V8!!

Anyway I hope this write up helps people make a decision one way or other in this crazy environment we are in and maybe helps save you a few thousand dollars đź’¸ In the end all Jeeps are awesome and everyone has different tastes wants and needs.

Last edited:

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Fast forward into the future from when i previously posted in this thread. The NOW. We have found out a lot of details since the initial announcement of the Willys XR.

2. Factory Lift.

3. Reinforced tailgate.

5. 4.56 gears

There's other things like the rock sliders and stuff but they're not important. For the money those important items I listed are a big deal price wise. When I broke it down between this or a standard Rubicon for me the Willys XR won. Keep in mind I'm on a budget and off road bits are more important then interior creature comforts of the Rubicon. Especially now with the price increases. So I'm not saying one is better then then other I'm only speaking for me and my budget and what makes sense for my build and pocket.

The standard Rubicon 2.0T 4 door Auto msrp around $49k and gets none of those upgrades I listed above. Still has 4.10 gears and regular D44 axle ect ect. To get those upgrades above of the Willys XR you have to go to the Rubicon XR package which starts at $55k msrp.

So I decided with Willys Sport Extreme Recon with the 2.0T Auto. Which comes out to around $43kish msrp. I get a ton of heavy duty important upgrades straight from the factory over the standard Rubicon and I can add electronic Eaton lockers installed for $3k if i decide I want them. Or just add one for $1,600 to the front since the Willys come with rear LSD. Which still comes in cheaper. That build would be an absolute true off road beast for the money. Also the non power doors will be easier to take off and not wrestle with that wiring harness on every door. And the fact that ill have the doors off most of the time in the Summer that's a plus.

Other things that pushed me in this direction was the styling. I love the military styling and blacked out accents of the Willys. Add in the Limited time Gobi color option and this thing is going to look sick!! Yes I went with Gobi my dream color. I'm so pumped they brought it back. And i love the way the Xtreme Recon looks straight from the factory. And a rig that looks good right from the start without adding anything is HUGE for me!!

Also a quick highlight why I went with the 2.0T? With gas prices at $5.00 a gallon it's a no brainer. Ive seen people get 27mpg with it. That's the direction all the Auto makers are heading for good anyway. Small Turbo engines that make good power and Electric. I also love the fact that with a Tune the 2.0T makes the power of a small V8!!

Anyway I hope this write up helps people make a decision one way or other in this crazy environment we are in and maybe helps save you a few thousand dollars đź’¸ In the end all Jeeps are awesome and everyone has different tastes wants and needs.
I wouldn't expect 27mpg unless you hyper-mile around like one of those prius owners camped out in the left lane doing 55mph. Coast to stop signs for a mile in advance and take 15 minutes to get back up to speed. The last guy I saw post numbers like that was on a 1,000 road trip...his average speed was 43mph. I'm very happy and impressed with the 2.0t and 20mpg is obtainable stock if you are easy on it. Ours is tuned on 4-4.5" of lift and 38's, winch, armour ~200lbs of recovery gear/tools that never get unloaded, and we tend to drive on the faster side and still average 17.2mpg in normal use. Impressive for sure, as people with similar builds and driving style that I know locally tend to average closer to 13-14 out of the pentastar and they get walked leaving a red light side by side.

Sponsored

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn't expect 27mpg unless you hyper-mile around like one of those prius owners camped out in the left lane doing 55mph. Coast to stop signs for a mile in advance and take 15 minutes to get back up to speed. The last guy I saw post numbers like that was on a 1,000 road trip...his average speed was 43mph. I'm very happy and impressed with the 2.0t and 20mpg is obtainable stock if you are easy on it. Ours is tuned on 4-4.5" of lift and 38's, winch, armour ~200lbs of recovery gear/tools that never get unloaded, and we tend to drive on the faster side and still average 17.2mpg in normal use. Impressive for sure, as people with similar builds and driving style that I know locally tend to average closer to 13-14 out of the pentastar and they get walked leaving a red light side by side.
Yeah. I probably won't be getting 27 mpg I'm just saying people are doing it. It's good to know it's possible if you need it too. Gearing is important too. A lot of people throw bigger tires on without upgrading the gears and the mpg ends up suffering. The Willy's XR upgrades the gears to 4.56s from the factory for the 35s.

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired

2. Factory Lift.

3. Reinforced tailgate.

5. 4.56 gears

@JeepViking13
Jason, I also felt the Willys XR was right for me, But there are 2 things you listed that I am still unsure of. Iron Knuckles (I haven't seen this in anything official), and the Factory Lift. At first I assumed it was coming with the 2" MOPAR lift, but the only thing I ever see listed is '35" Tire Suspension'. Some have speculated that it comes with the Rubicon springs, and they're probably correct. So I'm not sure I can say it has a factory lift. We wouldn't say a stock Rubicon has a factory lift.
Just my 2 cents.

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
@JeepViking13
Jason, I also felt the Willys XR was right for me, But there are 2 things you listed that I am still unsure of. Iron Knuckles (I haven't seen this in anything official), and the Factory Lift. At first I assumed it was coming with the 2" MOPAR lift, but the only thing I ever see listed is '35" Tire Suspension'. Some have speculated that it comes with the Rubicon springs, and they're probably correct. So I'm not sure I can say it has a factory lift. We wouldn't say a stock Rubicon has a factory lift.
Just my 2 cents.
The suspension is bigger then the standard Rubicon. It doesn't have to be called a lift. It's just bigger from the factory. Go look at a standard Rubicon and then a Rubicon with the XR package side by side. Big difference. As far as the knuckles go I've read that they are iron from multiple sources. If i stumble upon one again ill post it. The front Axle is a wider beefier Dana 44 also then the standard Dana 44 on the Rubicon. The Mopar 2 inch lift is sort of an aftermarket lift designed for dealers to install. Some dealers mess the installation up and you'll see some people complaining. The XR Wranglers are built already tall from the factory so you dont have to worry about a lift and the aggravation. Just a better way to go. That's just my opinion.

I chose to go the Willys XR route knowing that all I have to add is an Eaton electronic Locker if I chose for $1,600. Most likely add just one to the front being that the Willys comes with LSD in the rear. For the money this will be a hell of a rig. If I went standard Rubicon it would cost more money not just from the initial cost but add to add 4.56 gears, a lift, bead lock wheels, 35 inch tires, tailgate reinforcement, ect as most do. And the front axle still wouldn't be as beefy as the XR and would have aluminum knuckles. And aftermarket 4.56 gears would void a Rubicon warranty in that area just the same as my Eaton Locker would. So no difference. 6 in one hand half a dozen in the other!!

There's no wrong answer on which Jeep to start with. There's more then one way to skin a cat. It's just how do you want to do it? And everyone has different needs and wants and different budgets.

Last edited:

AirportDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUXR, 2018 GC Trailhawk Hemi
Occupation
Aeronautics Professional
@JeepViking13
Just my 2 cents.
Havng just taken delivery last Friday of a 2022 Rubicon with the XR package, I can confirm the knuckles are cast iron, not aluminum!

Zoro2012

First Name
Ravi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Cayenne
Move over Rubicon!

IMG_3612.PNG

IMG_3305-2.jpg
I just booked my yellow (high velocity) Jeep Willy’s with xtreme recon package, similar color combo like urs, I really like your black Hood guard and the black casing that you added next to the side mirror. Can you please let me know where you got those and if possible, can you please post a picture of front view of your Willy’s.

Sponsored

Pic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wife’s)
I just booked my yellow (high velocity) Jeep Willy’s with xtreme recon package, similar color combo like urs, I really like your black Hood guard and the black casing that you added next to the side mirror. Can you please let me know where you got those and if possible, can you please post a picture of front view of your Willy’s.
If you don’t mind me asking, what is the sticker price of your build?

Zoro2012

First Name
Ravi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Cayenne
If you don’t mind me asking, what is the sticker price of your build?
I booked 2023 - Jeep Willy’s unlimited - high velocity - Xtreme recon package, plus some add on - sticker price came out to 49k ish ..

Willys_Wonka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUW
I really like this option I've had a rubicon , sport & a Gladiator loved them all but i have been pleased with just a LSD in the rear for what i do. so i now have the Willys Diesel comes with LSD, big brakes M210/M220 narrow axles & a 8HP transmission. 373 gears running 285/75/17 tires which is really close to those KO2 35/12.5/17's 2.5' lift. i am so happy with the power & looks

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 Jeep JL Willys Extreme Recon Announced for $40,930; Orders Open in October 9C5F5CE8-A35B-4692-9F4C-3842F417BDB1
Todd, how do you think 35x11.5x17 would be on a JLUW instead of 285/75/17? I already did a ruby spring swap and probably will also add 1" front and .5" rear coil spacers ahead of the larger tires. Current tires are 285/70/17.
I really like this option I've had a rubicon , sport & a Gladiator loved them all but i have been pleased with just a LSD in the rear for what i do. so i now have the Willys Diesel comes with LSD, big brakes M210/M220 narrow axles & a 8HP transmission. 373 gears running 285/75/17 tires which is really close to those KO2 35/12.5/17's 2.5' lift. i am so happy with the power &

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal
The Willys has normal fenders and narrower axles then a Rubi so it’s likely you will need more lift then 1”/.5” and different wheels or wheel spacers to set them out to run 35s.
Sponsored