Sponsored

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
I'd like mine to have a Detroit locker like my old Scouts did. Clunky, but never failed. Ever. We'll see how long the OEM LSD lasts. Probably a long time with the BLD keeping the stress off of it. That, and I don't just hammer the hell outta my Jeep like I did with the Scouts way back when.

I know that E lockers are very reliable right now, but Jeep/Dana/Advantek needs to make the sensor serviceable.
My ears be perking up when I hear some IH talk...

I had two, both Scout IIs, a 71 and 79.

The 71 was the most impressive.

You?
Sponsored

tampahoosier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD and 2005 TJ
It’s been brought up a couple times with no hard conclusions. I think this was not the most well rehearsed release. If I’m guessing, I think he may have been referencing that idea a base Willys Sport + XR package could be as low as $39,865. That would be right about $5K over the base 4 door Willys Sport on their build page. So it’s possible that either (1) the XR will cost slightly more to add to the Willys or (2) the base price of the Willys is going up by $1K for next year. It’s speculated that the vehicle “as shown” would be potentially closer to $50K, which would make sense because half doors & XR will be at least $8K in options.

They might change all that pricing before orders actually open.
You’re right, and I see that now. I had extra time last night to quit being lazy and read through the pages. Noticed a few sleuths already pointed out they may have been referencing the cheaper Willys sport trim. Still if it does come with D44s as I suspect it’s a pretty solid deal!

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
My ears be perking up when I hear some IH talk...

I had two, both Scout IIs, a 71 and 79.

The 71 was the most impressive.

You?

A ‘73 and a ‘75. I liked the ‘75 the most, as it was a nicer vehicle when I bought it and better overall the the ‘73. The ‘75 was tannish yellow and white. I pulled the full hubcaps off, painted the steel wheels black and put chrome lug nuts on it. I started a black wheel trend that continues to this day, Ha! Can’t tell you how many guys at high school asked what kind of wheels I bought for it. The same look as Fifteen52 Analogs.

Both had 345 V8s and 727 autos. The ‘73 was a dark Bronze color with cloth seats that had similar material to a base Cadillac. My daughter loved riding in it with the top off when she was 3-4. When I sold it, she cried. Fast forward, the first new car she bought after she graduated from college was a 2 door JK based on the top off memories of the Scout.

Both took and incredible amount of what today I would call abuse, but back then was fun. They were easy to work on and parts were plentiful. They were cheap to buy in the 80s and early 90s. Today they are crazy expensive if you find one that is complete and rust free.

Anyway, back to this topic. In 2021, it is actually quite amazing that not only can you still buy a proper Jeep (albeit modernized and comfortable) but that Jeep continues to improve it and offer options such as this.

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
Highly doubt it but I really hope Jeep adjusted the Willys price. $40k would be a good deal if it was the standard Willys with LEDs, power locks, windows 4 door with Extreme Recon. As I said before though most likely it's the Willys Sport. I guess we'll see October 5th.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
"I remember when" half doors and soft uppers were the base trim, full doors were an option. 1989 YJ, base trim
Would it be possible for this JL, as shown, to be a return to that base model and pricing ? In other words, not dual- door price jump, but a truly well- equipped "Stripper" that so many have been asking for ?

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
"I remember when" half doors and soft uppers were the base trim, full doors were an option. 1989 YJ, base trim
Would it be possible for this JL, as shown, to be a return to that base model and pricing ? In other words, not dual- door price jump, but a truly well- equipped "Stripper" that so many have been asking for ?
Good question and one I’ve been wondering about. If that were the case, then the base price on this could be explained. Half doors, soft top as a base, no cost option. JKs had that option. Not many takers though, as there was no credit given for not getting full doors.

So, Jeep would have to offer half doors only, as a base option with a lower price for opting for them.

I think they would find buyers today if that lowered the base price. People are trying to spend less and there is nostalgia for it. Plus, JL soft tops are not hard to live with.

Rescue119

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2021 Jeep GC L Limited
I would say no. How many Jeeps 2dr or 4dr do you see daily with doors off. I rarely see any during the hottest days of the summer. hell I rarely see a 2 dr now.

Funny thing is my local Ford dealer has a new Bronco Outer Banks Trim finally on the lot and parked beside it is a 2018 JKU white Sahara with a sold sign on it lol

JoeBanks

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport JLU
That sounds like a solid idea. 👍
I had a YJ with half doors/soft top and think that would be a great way to cut cost and enjoy the 2 door in “true” Jeep configuration.
The new JL soft tops and windows are waaaay nicer than my old YJ…I usually drove her with the back window removed so I could actually see others on the road.

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Highly doubt it but I really hope Jeep adjusted the Willys price. $40k would be a good deal if it was the standard Willys with LEDs, power locks, windows 4 door with Extreme Recon. As I said before though most likely it's the Willys Sport. I guess we'll see October 5th.
It would be nice if the price of a true base sport 2 door was $25K again. It would also be nice if global supply chains weren’t fully jacked up causing costs of everything to go up. But unfortunately, I think $40K is the new $30K on vehicles.

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
A ‘73 and a ‘75. I liked the ‘75 the most, as it was a nicer vehicle when I bought it and better overall the the ‘73. The ‘75 was ~ it and offer options such as this.
My 71 was loaded: SOA, 6 pt cage, 35s, lunchbox in the rear, etc. and I paid $2500 in 2009. But you're right, NOW that Scout would be $5000 or more. smh

In any case, I agree on the Jeep mindset. It truly is amazing how they continue to sell and hold value... and just now Ford is realizing there might be something there. Several years ago GM brought the Blazer "back" and FUBAR'd it hard.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Yeah, the whole reusing a name and saying that they "brought it back" is misleading to say they least.

The Bronco name was brought back, but certainly not the vehicle. The new Bronco is something completely different and looks more like a Scout 800. Nothing "Bronco" about it really.

I remember when GM released the LS V8s and said that they brought the 327 back. Lots of guys were excited. I explained to more than a few that it had nothing whatsoever to do with the the old SBCs. Plus, it was actually a 325, but the liter displacements are the same.

Some even said that Jeep brough the Cherokee back. But the current one is in no way related to the legendary XJ. That should be Jeeps next project. A Unibody, integrated frame, solid axle Cherokee revival. Slab sided. The bulk of the structure could could be built of aluminum to save weight.

Speaking of revivals, the Willys name stamped on Jeep hoods goes back to the first CJ2A in 1945. The last flat fender Jeep with Willys stamped on the sides of the hood was the 1968 CJ3B. Willys was awarded the Jeep trademark after a lawsuit in which they, Ford and Bantam fought for the rights. Willys Overland won.

Jeep keeps both names alive in packages they offer as to keep the trademarks active. Wouldn't want them to expire and have someone "bring back" Willys Overland and begin to market a knockoff named a CJ 12.

benny_rt2

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 YJ - 1999 TJ - 2004 TJ
there is an option for the Sport and Sport S to have a LSD. Mine has it. and I agree, locker on the willys. but the trim is still good with the LSD.

a lot of the stuff you read online is from people who have no clue what theyre talking about. those of us who have been wheeling their Jeeps hard know what works and what doesnt. the LSD is one of those things that get a lot of bad rep online. Mostly also because they werent that great historically, same with stock axles. You have all of these old guys saying that all sucks then young people read it and repeat it. things are always improving and the LSD on the JLs works quite well.

agreed. Also a rear LSD plus adding a front Torq Locker for the m186 would be awesome combo. Unless in the snow or ice maybe, but can learn to drive with a front torq locker in snowy climates if they are careful

Jeeb

First Name
JEEB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps!
Looks so good. But I'm so confused with the pricing. A four door Willys currently starts at $39,865. How are they going to start at the same price ("under $40k")?

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
Looks so good. But I'm so confused with the pricing. A four door Willys currently starts at $39,865. How are they going to start at the same price ("under $40k")?
Pretty sure the pricing is based on the willy’s sport.