Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
An option for the Sport S to have the LSD would fill yet another gap.

But a true, rear only, locker in the Willy's as a standard feature would be amazing.
there is an option for the Sport and Sport S to have a LSD. Mine has it. and I agree, locker on the willys. but the trim is still good with the LSD.

a lot of the stuff you read online is from people who have no clue what theyre talking about. those of us who have been wheeling their Jeeps hard know what works and what doesnt. the LSD is one of those things that get a lot of bad rep online. Mostly also because they werent that great historically, same with stock axles. You have all of these old guys saying that all sucks then young people read it and repeat it. things are always improving and the LSD on the JLs works quite well.
Sponsored

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
That is totally great for Jeep buyers. The announcement doesn't mention it, but the willys pictured shows the Rubicon fender flares. ?!?

T Town

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spaceship
Watching the debut video and a few things caught my eye.
Jim Morrison refers to it as "Willys Wheeler" like the package available in the JK.
It sounded like he introduced it as the Willys Extreme Recon 392.
He pronounces Willys with a long "E". (Great for the debate)
He refers to the model as a $39,435 Offroad Ready Jeep, but it had half doors on it.

Am I missing anything?

I grew up in Toledo passing the Overland plant every Sunday. Had an uncle and grandfather work at the plant and never heard anyone pronounce it Williss. Always Willeeze. It may be incorrect but that’s how people have always said it.

thegame81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xtreme Recon 392
Clubs

That is totally great for Jeep buyers. The announcement doesn't mention it, but the willys pictured shows the Rubicon fender flares. ?!?
It's not a Rubicon fender flare they are xtreme recon fender flares.

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
It's not a Rubicon fender flare they are xtreme recon fender flares.
You are totally right, I meant the fenders on the Willys pictured are high tops and there's no mention of that in the description of what the package includes. unless that particular Willys was for show and the real XR on the willys will have the regular Willys ''normal'' fenders with just that little lip, since the axles will most likely not be the wider Rubi axles either ?!?

Sponsored

West1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
My Jeep was built and delivered in eight weeks, during Covid. So, I think the lean manufacturing philosophy and marketing (one better than Jeep) is the real reason for Fords inability to produce the vehicle.

Ford knew in Oct 2020 how many reservations they had. They predicted, very accurately, how many reservations would convert to orders, but probably as much or more-so, the configurations available.

Lean manufacturing requires minimal inventory. Ford knew what they needed in Oct 2020, they converted MY2021 vehicles to orders in Jan 2021, and when manufacturing ramped up several months later, they shit the bed. They over-promised and under-delivered. Nothing to do with Covid, everything to do with lean manufacturing (inventory) which caused constraints, marketing (allowing too many build configurations), and maximizing profit in-the-moment.

Edited to add: builds were supposed to be based on reservation time stamp. First reserved were to be built first. Dealerships got a limited allocation which did not allow all reservations to be built, so that was a constraint. However, once the vehicles were "ordered" and in the system, what buyers were told were they would be built based on reservation timestamp as parts allowed. What happened was there were so many configurations that (limited inventory) parts would be put together to make a vehicle but it made the next vehicle in line unbuildable, so the system would have to go down the line, past many many other reservation timestamps before it could find a configuration that there were parts to build. What you saw was a four-door Outer Banks with soft top was the easiest to build.

Ford sent out several emails telling people if they changed their order they would get their vehicle faster. There are (no joke, literally) thousands of people that changed their order to get their vehicle faster, from two-door to four-door, from hard top to soft top, etc. Thousands of people are moving up in line, in front of earlier reservations, because of part constraints.

Ford didn't have the lockers/front axles to build all of the First Editions (7,000 known builds configured the same way) and also account for the Sasquatch package available on all other trims. They offer four different gear ratios available across seven trim levels, you can add front and rear lockers to any of those. For example a Big Bend could be configured with four different ratios, including lockers in the rear or front and rear, which depending on part constraints would "bump" a Badlands and make it unbuildable. They offer two transfer cases that have multiple software configurations, to provide for different GOAT-modes depending on the trim. If you took all of the hardware (mechanical configurations) and software and electronic packages and listed them be option/feature, you could enlist the help of world-renowned engineering firms with IBM super-computers to give you a sense of how many different Bronco configurations you can come up with. It's stupid complicated and creates bottle-neck after bottle-neck, and pushes reservation holders (buildable units) all over the MAP.

For people that want all the options ala carte, like a buffet...what you'll end up with is a lot of really great configurations, and many that are only one minor difference than the other, that have a much much greater wait time.
Very good summary of the issues with the Ford Bronco ordering fiasco. I can only hope Jeep learns from Ford’s mistakes.

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
It sounded like he introduced it as the Willys Extreme Recon 392.

He refers to the model as a $39,435 Offroad Ready Jeep, but it had half doors on it.
It does sound like he said 392, but I’d guess he misspoke. Brining the 392 to other trim levels would be awesome, even if it was like a $10K+ option, it would still be cool. Just seems very unlikely.

the willys pictured shows the Rubicon fender flares. ?!?
I wouldn’t be surprised if the higher fender flares are on all XR models, even if they start to offer it against every trim. It’s likely a functional thing to ensure those larger tires don’t rub. They might rub lower fender even with that 1.5 lift.
Also from a production thought, they probably are creating a new assembly line for the XR package, so it’s easier if every XR goes down one line with one parts set regardless of trim. That’s a guess though, I don’t know.

Bradley

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Explorer
Which other broncos came in a 4 door? Lockers? Sway bar disconnects? Low range transfer cases? Nope, not a JL knock off at all. Let's ignore the blatant numbers 1 upping. Beat the JL in tire size by a little, water fording by a little, approach, departure, breakover angle all just barely one upped. Of course the XR package flipped all those numbers back to jeep anyway as cpoying someone else with a dash of 1 upping is easy.
Competitor and knockoffs are two different things... Ford added all of that because they knew they needed to compete with Jeep. Let's not forget how the off-roading industry has adapted since the last Bronco was around... in order to be relevant and serious in the off-road world you NEED to offer those if you want to compete with a Wrangler. The Troller in Brazil is a knockoff... the Bronco was a competitor to the Wrangler for years before 2020... just because they brought it back and updated the tech and benchmarked the Wrangler does not change that.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Competitor and knockoffs are two different things... Ford added all of that because they knew they needed to compete with Jeep. Let's not forget how the off-roading industry has adapted since the last Bronco was around... in order to be relevant and serious in the off-road world you NEED to offer those if you want to compete with a Wrangler. The Troller in Brazil is a knockoff... the Bronco was a competitor to the Wrangler for years before 2020... just because they brought it back and updated the tech and benchmarked the Wrangler does not change that.
It’s a knock off with hopes of riding Jeep’s success and product development. The same as the trx is a raptor knock off. At least ram went all in on the drivetrain, blowing away the competition and virtually every factory truck ever made. Ford bungled their knock off from the day they started taking reservations, and in the interim Jeep launched, sold, built, and delivered the 392 and the XR package insuring that the only lead that the bronco ever had was on paper before they could ever deliver 1. Also, the full size bronco was never a competitor for Jeep, you’d have to go all the way back to the early bronco to even claim they were in the same segment.

Sponsored

tampahoosier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD and 2005 TJ
That pricing cannot be right. The current Willys MSRP starts at $39,865 according to Jeep website…. But this article says the Willy’s with Extreme Recon will be priced at $39,435…. How will it be roughly $400 cheaper??

Forgive me if someone already caught this and asked, I didn’t want to read through 16 pages!

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
That pricing cannot be right. The current Willys MSRP starts at $39,865 according to Jeep website…. But this article says the Willy’s with Extreme Recon will be priced at $39,435…. How will it be roughly $400 cheaper??

Forgive me if someone already caught this and asked, I didn’t want to read through 16 pages!
It’s been brought up a couple times with no hard conclusions. I think this was not the most well rehearsed release. If I’m guessing, I think he may have been referencing that idea a base Willys Sport + XR package could be as low as $39,865. That would be right about $5K over the base 4 door Willys Sport on their build page. So it’s possible that either (1) the XR will cost slightly more to add to the Willys or (2) the base price of the Willys is going up by $1K for next year. It’s speculated that the vehicle “as shown” would be potentially closer to $50K, which would make sense because half doors & XR will be at least $8K in options.

They might change all that pricing before orders actually open.

Sdallnct

First Name
Scott Dallal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sport 2door manual
if you are gonna run 33s I wouldnt lift the jeep. the JLs are a little taller than the JKs. if I were you id get Rubicon springs which will give you a really nice stance with 33s. or you can get a set of small spacers.
I hAve looked at that AEV spacer kit.

jrchain

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, Tundra, GX 460, Outback, 1200 GSA, CRF 450L
Does this imply Sarge green will continue for 2022?
Sponsored