Sponsored

sts90

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys Unlimited XR
So when I was kid in 90's the first Lego set I bought with my chore allowance was a 1997 release Amazon Crossing set. Also my favorite show at the time was National Geographics. I later found out the vehicles they were driving, are Toyota Land Cruisers. That was too expensive for the poor high school stop sign on pavement country boy. Fast forward 20+ years, I still don’t have Landcruiser money, but I saw that Gobi color. I thought this is my chance. I might be able to build that childhood dream. I ordered my Jeep April 13th. I found some good references in the JK Africa concept and FJ40. I think I can blend it into a something like my childhood dream.
So my references are:
Jeep Wrangler JL Dead - 2022 Gobi Willys XR - Jk Africa/ FJ40 Blend Build EE52D62E-32A0-438D-9416-39BC6BEBD956

And

Jeep Wrangler JL Dead - 2022 Gobi Willys XR - Jk Africa/ FJ40 Blend Build FB2EC8C3-3551-486B-B29F-BFF392253EED

So here I go:
First Day:
Jeep Wrangler JL Dead - 2022 Gobi Willys XR - Jk Africa/ FJ40 Blend Build 643A1178-F1B4-4C24-9CC1-C355E4498A1D

Current Day:
Mods:
1) Teraflex sway bar disconnect.
2) MetalCloak bumper with end caps.
3) Warn Evo 10-s winch.
4) Motormic Recovery Shackles from kit.
5) Sahara Running Boards.
6) Badlands Hook.
7) Fishbone Rear Storage Rack.
Jeep Wrangler JL Dead - 2022 Gobi Willys XR - Jk Africa/ FJ40 Blend Build 4F738205-6084-47DF-B6FD-DF400207667E

Parts waiting on processing, and planned.
In processing:
1) Hard Top for two tone paint job.
2) Metalcloak front bar waiting on ship was damaged in install.
3) Terra Acoustics speaker upgrade shipped.

Planned:
1) Back window enablement kit.
2) LOD sliders with step.
3) Full Metalcloak rear bumper.

Undecided but envisioned
1) Engine skid plate.
2) Transfer case replacement skid plate.
3) Color match Gobi fenders. I have line on factory high rise I would need to repaint or go after market.
4) Limb risers.
5) Leveling kit.
6) Retro White wheel replacement.
7) Two large flood lights.
8) Amber Cover for Fog lights.
9) Rock Block Mud Flaps.

This was truly my first teenager dream. I am just doing it 20 years too late. I am open to opinions, ideas, and experienced don’t do’s. Also criticism is expected to a popular vision. I look forward to reading your comments both kind and harsh. Thanks for reading.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dead - 2022 Gobi Willys XR - Jk Africa/ FJ40 Blend Build BA6651A5-D96F-4108-AA93-00193FEB0333
Sponsored

Last edited:

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
Enjoyed reading your intro! You're off to a great start and looking forward watching you build your dream(s). Keep the posts coming✌🏻

-Steven

Last edited:

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
I would definitely go with the Rubi fenders. Once painted, don’t forget to get the rear fenders covered with PPF. I recommend 10mil, as I had to get the 6mil changed cause although it did its job, it had been battered by rocks thrown by the front tires. Upon doing that , I also installed weathertech splash guards.

With this said, I would get the wheels painted Gobi like the africa concept rather than white.

americonium

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Black
Occupation
Engineering Technician
I apologize for my ignorance, but what is a rear window enablement kit? Thanks...

Sponsored

OP
OP
sts90

sts90

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys Unlimited XR
I apologize for my ignorance, but what is a rear window enablement kit? Thanks...
If you buy a jeep as a softtop the connection for rear windshield wiper, washer, and defrost is not there. Also the controls on steering column or cilmate control defroster is not there. You will also need a computer update. Kit: Mopar 82215312AC Hardtop Wiring Harness Conversion Kit for 18-22 Jeep Wrangler JL without Heated Steering Wheel

Last edited:

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

This is a really cool build direction and one that seems unique. Can’t say I’ve seen anyone else emulate it. Looking forward to seeing yours!

mikem20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Great story and start to an awesome build! I too had that same Lego set. 👍🏻

Sponsored

4xe-brice

First Name
brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4xE Rubicon
Hard Top Installed awaiting transport to paint shop. I hope for open booth this week. However that Willys Black grill really makes it pop!
Jeep Wrangler JL Dead - 2022 Gobi Willys XR - Jk Africa/ FJ40 Blend Build 1663691168522
That matching black does look awesome!

I was gonna say, if you are still thinking about doing the white roof/gobi sides & fenders, it could be cool and super unique to paint the grill matching white! Plus it would tie in to the toyota you are using for reference.

Would try to see if someone could photoshop that for you to see what it could look like! Also, if you are selling the XR wheels, I would be interested lol.

Also another thought if you wanted to slightly change directions... I think gloss black color matching fenders would look really good with the current set up especially if the rock sliders are color matched as well. Then get the steely looking wheels painted gobi to tie it all together!

Either way good stuff man, she is coming together nicely!

starrs

First Name
Galen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Occupation
Registered Nurse
Look into the company called Nomad for wheels. More specifically the “501 convoy” great looking steelie lookalike that is aluminum.

ELJL

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Looks great!! 👍🏼

Last edited: