sts90

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys Unlimited XR
That matching black does look awesome!

I was gonna say, if you are still thinking about doing the white roof/gobi sides & fenders, it could be cool and super unique to paint the grill matching white! Plus it would tie in to the toyota you are using for reference.

Would try to see if someone could photoshop that for you to see what it could look like! Also, if you are selling the XR wheels, I would be interested lol.

Also another thought if you wanted to slightly change directions... I think gloss black color matching fenders would look really good with the current set up especially if the rock sliders are color matched as well. Then get the steely looking wheels painted gobi to tie it all together!

Either way good stuff man, she is coming together nicely!
I am not planning ing on removing Willys sticker from the Jeep and the gloss black grill is one signature item in that package. I planning on getting a classic “4 wheel drive” decal for rear as the factory one is deleted with the XR package. The fenders are staying for now, as I agree with you, it works currently and will work with LOD sliders. I thought long and hard on paint match OEM fenders but they have too much black. That will detract from the Gobi lines. The jk color match fender do not have that thick black line and do not detract from the line.

On the ideal about making the grill white, it just does not work with the lines in my opinion. To implement the correct lines on the grill, I would need to remove the 7 slot grill, add mesh grill, and outline grill/headlights in white. I like both the Land Cruiser FJ and Willys MB heritages. FJ series was Toyota’s model reverse engineered from the Jeep with there spin on it. This is probably why I love both, it is as if Jeep had a child during occupational rebuild time in Japan. However this still a Jeep and 7 slot grill stays.

The wheels, I just know yet. The solid wheels look good but concerned with brake ventilation and mud clearing. I want the Jeep to looking good, but this is still a Willys Jeep and Willy’s Jeeps’ wheel in my mind. Just want something close but wider slots. No I don’t have not found what I am looking for yet.

Thank you for your thoughts and reading mind.

OP
OP
sts90

sts90

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys Unlimited XR
Driving

I want this vision to come to life but not in a show piece. I want the bumps, scraps, dents, and repairs will tell his story. As you have read in the my other threads, the Jeep has already had major repairs. However despite the stress of all night wheeling adventure in a mud hole because it had just rained. He got me home 50 miles with a blown engine(blown head gasket, cracked piston) and braking system(blown vacuum pump, check valve). He did not even tell me he was broken until Sunday only with yellow CEL but never stopped driving. This is how I am sure my Jeep is a he, but don’t know his name yet.

I only get to pass this way once with my boys who are now 7 and almost 2. I want then to remember their time with me as simpler without electronics and easy buttons. This is the main reason I bought the Willys. I felt the Rubicon had too many electronics and easy buttons. I learned many trades and skills In my life. Every single one had me start doing things the old/hard way and so much more was learned. I am not going to break a working formula. My toddler points at every Jeep now and says “Beep” because he can’t pronounce the “J” sound yet. However, when he points at my Jeep and says “ Daa Beep.”

Jeep Wrangler JL Dead - 2022 Gobi Willys XR - Jk Africa/ FJ40 Blend Build 39B432F9-65B7-4C84-AC69-81AB9D1D8D50

(First top down ride with the Family, night time return picture)

I understand this a second story on build thread but feeling everything in the end is a story because this all we will remember. I want my main characters to be a jeep, two boys, and the boss(aka my wife).

Thank you for reading, and help me keep the build simple please.

XRRubicon

First Name
Armen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon XR
Hard Top Installed awaiting transport to paint shop. I hope for open booth this week. However that Willys Black grill really makes it pop!
Jeep Wrangler JL Dead - 2022 Gobi Willys XR - Jk Africa/ FJ40 Blend Build 39B432F9-65B7-4C84-AC69-81AB9D1D8D50
really liking that front bumper! do you have a picture of it straight on you can share?

OP
OP
sts90

sts90

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys Unlimited XR
Terra Acoustics upgrade installed.

Couple install notes:

• The match the notch in speaker frame to dash notch.
  • Run your wire for tweeter down at the dash cutout closest to the window at about 180 degrees opposite the dash notch.
  • Tuck the tweeter wire around the top of speak between dash and foam face speaker padding.
  • FYI Cheap Harbor Freight Pittsburg Yellow trim tools work better than included one.
Doing those three things will prevent tweeter wire vibration. I found this out the hard way and redid the whole install. Time to install is about 20 minutes tops taking your time.

Review:
These speakers give you greater clarity, increased sound stage, and small volume per dial number increase. How I rated this is 22-24 was knob setting at 70 mph with soft top. Now I feel 18-20 is about where I sit. Was it worth it at the price point?, I feel it was. Given, I did not have pay for a install and it was plug & play. I believe any quality sound shop worth its salt can blow this out the water but you will need all the trimmings with a larger price increase.

Next Step on Sound:
I will be looking for over head speaker replacements. However I will be looking to same increases and a Plug & Play units.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dead - 2022 Gobi Willys XR - Jk Africa/ FJ40 Blend Build 20220924_095400

Jeep Wrangler JL Dead - 2022 Gobi Willys XR - Jk Africa/ FJ40 Blend Build 20220924_095328

Sponsored

OP
OP
sts90

sts90

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys Unlimited XR
How about about keeping those XR wheels and just painting them Gobi? Or white?

Awesome build!
I don't know if that would work. If I do put a lift on it I would need a rim with more backspacing. So I might as well get retro looking wheel with more backspacing. I am still in the process of breaking in the new engine in to determine if can live with mpg hit on 37's or narrower tire for that true look and better mpg. I know the 4.56 gears is setup for 37's but gosh I love the peppiness on 35's.

CreepyCrepe

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge Green JLUWS, 20 Honda Pilot Elite
Clubs

I have a 2023 JLU Willys Sport on order in Sarge green and I'm looking to do something similar. I've already picked up a used tan soft top and was playing with the same idea as you with the white hard top with painted sides. For me the inspiration has always been Defenders, but that 1941 concept shows that old school looks good on the JLs.

OP
OP
sts90

sts90

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys Unlimited XR
I have a 2023 JLU Willys Sport on order in Sarge green and I'm looking to do something similar. I've already picked up a used tan soft top and was playing with the same idea as you with the white hard top with painted sides. For me the inspiration has always been Defenders, but that 1941 concept shows that old school looks good on the JLs.
Yeah both Land Cruisers and Defenders had that white top. I pulled the original FJ40 paint code and had it converted to a Two part. I hope to have it next week with pictures uploaded. That sarge green and white will have a strong contrast. You could also follow that 1941 build with a tan colored hard top too. If jeep only offered the half door uppers in tan. However if you do white top, we should meet up for trail ride and photo shoot once the builds are complete. Never know, we could end up featured in magazine.

JLR_AEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon AEV Outfitted
Wow! This is so awesome. I can't wait for the finished product

I too am the biggest fan of the FJ40
What drew me over to Jeep were the older 90's Land Rover Defenders.

PS: I am not sure if you got your limb risers yet but I have an extra brand new set from HaulkOffrod https://haukoffroad.com/accessories/jl-limb-riser/ that are specific to the JL. PM me if you are interested and we can cut a deal :fist bump:

Sponsored

OP
OP
sts90

sts90

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys Unlimited XR
Wow! This is so awesome. I can't wait for the finished product

I too am the biggest fan of the FJ40
What drew me over to Jeep were the older 90's Land Rover Defenders.

PS: I am not sure if you got your limb risers yet but I have an extra brand new set from HaulkOffrod https://haukoffroad.com/accessories/jl-limb-riser/ that are specific to the JL. PM me if you are interested and we can cut a deal :fist bump:
I looked at your instagram. I think your build is super clean and I hope to achieve such a polished look. Was yours done by AEV or did you do it personally? I am debating the limb risers and a snorkel.

JLR_AEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon AEV Outfitted
I looked at your instagram. I think your build is super clean and I hope to achieve such a polished look. Was yours done by AEV or did you do it personally? I am debating the limb risers and a snorkel.
Thanks you! Means a lot!
I literally bought all the parts and put it together haha. I saved a ton shipping it over and having them build it. Saved about $10k to be exact.
I had to get rid of my snorkel because I went with a dual battery setup and wont fit 😬
And I will be adding my set of limb risers in a week or 2 👍🏽

Earlmighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XRP Earl Willy's Unlimited
Occupation
I.T.
So when I was kid in 90's the first Lego set I bought with my chore allowance was a 1997 release Amazon Crossing set. Also my favorite show at the time was National Geographics. I later found out the vehicles they were driving, are Toyota Land Cruisers. That was too expensive for the poor high school stop sign on pavement country boy. Fast forward 20+ years, I still don’t have Landcruiser money, but I saw that Gobi color. I thought this is my chance. I might be able to build that childhood dream. I ordered my Jeep April 13th. I found some good references in the JK Africa concept and FJ40. I think I can blend it into a something like my childhood dream.
So my references are:
Jeep Wrangler JL Dead - 2022 Gobi Willys XR - Jk Africa/ FJ40 Blend Build 20220924_095328

And

So here I go:
First Day:

Current Day:
Mods:
1) Teraflex sway bar disconnect.
2) MetalCloak bumper with end caps.
3) Warn Evo 10-s winch.
4) Motormic Recovery Shackles from kit.
5) Sahara Running Boards.
6) Badlands Hook.
7) Fishbone Rear Storage Rack.

Parts waiting on processing, and planned.
In processing:
1) Hard Top for two tone paint job.
2) Metalcloak front bar waiting on ship was damaged in install.
3) Terra Acoustics speaker upgrade shipped.

Planned:
1) Back window enablement kit.
2) LOD sliders with step.
3) Full Metalcloak rear bumper.

Undecided but envisioned
1) Engine skid plate.
2) Transfer case replacement skid plate.
3) Color match Gobi fenders. I have line on factory high rise I would need to repaint or go after market.
4) Limb risers.
5) Leveling kit.
6) Retro White wheel replacement.
7) Two large flood lights.
8) Amber Cover for Fog lights.
9) Rock Block Mud Flaps.

This was truly my first teenager dream. I am just doing it 20 years too late. I am open to opinions, ideas, and experienced don’t do’s. Also criticism is expected to a popular vision. I look forward to reading your comments both kind and harsh. Thanks for reading.

Looks great! I love the current build, especially in GOBI. Btw, are your front fender turn signals LED? And if so, did they come with the Extreme Recon Package?

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
If you buy a jeep as a softtop the connection for rear windshield wiper, washer, and defrost is not there. Also the controls on steering column or cilmate control defroster is not there. You will also need a computer update. Kit: Mopar 82215312AC Hardtop Wiring Harness Conversion Kit for 18-22 Jeep Wrangler JL without Heated Steering Wheel
Lol when I saw that in the initial post, I thought it was an easy way to remove and install the rear window of the hardtop, sorta like the sides of the Sky One-Touch.

My excitement was short lived.

OP
OP
sts90

sts90

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys Unlimited XR
Looks great! I love the current build, especially in GOBI. Btw, are your front fender turn signals LED? And if so, did they come with the Extreme Recon Package?
Yes they are LED. LED’s are standard on Willys package.
Sponsored