2022 Color Wish List

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2.0T eTorque
I loved my Deep water blue 2010 sport when I had it. Also I'm a fan of mango tango.
Sponsored

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
It's a chicken/egg dilemma.

Dealers always say "we sell the most white, gray, and black vehicles". But their lots are also full of black, white, and gray vehicles, and the vast majority of buyers want to drive their car home today...not in 6-8 weeks, so what's on the lot is what's going to sell. So what's the cause and what's the effect? I really wonder if a dealer just decided one day that they were going to stock only red/blue/green/yellow/orange colors...would they notice a big drop in sales or would they just end up selling a lot more colored vehicles?

It's why my wife has had white and black vehicles since 2010...every single time we went in looking for RED, and every time the dealer said "well you can order it", but she wasn't interested in waiting months for a car...so she had to pick from black/gray/white. This time around she finally got tired of driving an invisible vehicle so she was willing to wait to get what she wanted. I also think that the fact that yellow was available was what really pushed her over the edge.
When the Dodge Charger came back in '06 the dealer in town had 5 Go Mango's on the lot, they sat a looooonnnnngggggg time.

OP
OP

nyvisual

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU Rubicon
When the Dodge Charger came back in '06 the dealer in town had 5 Go Mango's on the lot, they sat a looooonnnnngggggg time.
I have Hemi Orange on my Challenger, and in my opinion it’s better than Go Mango. The best color for my money on a Challenger / Charger was B5 Blue

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
JT Gator green
JK Tank green
JK Anvil
I will trade my 19 in on 22 if they do any of those.

jrocker

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr
White, Black, and shades of gray (in that order), are the best selling colors across the industry. The colors represent prosperity (it is also considered a "conservative" color, conveying a sense of success without being gaudy).

This actually started decades ago, which lies the chicken/egg question.

Paint colors take a long time to perfect. Yes, there are different shades of black. So, when neutral colors began outselling the more fun colors, automakers had the paint companies focus most of their energy on creating that special black/gray/white that would be associated with their brand. A white Jeep is a different color of white that is on a white Nissan.

So, now we're at that point where we are asking; but are they now the most popular, because that's what is readily available? I would like to think so, but then I'm not holding my thumb to the pulse of the industry. I'm just pushin' my foot to the floor of whatever my butt-dyno is calibrating.

Blue and red are the most popular of the non-neutral colors.

Personally, I believe Jeepers are all about having fun, thus we want those nose-thumbing colors to flaunt in the faces of those annoying grown-up suits. Or, in other words, we're not going to grow up. (I've got grandkids and haven't grown up yet).

If the '21's had been offered in Orange, that's what I would have ordered. I'm also a bit partial to the Bikini. And Mojito. oh, and purple.

And I ordered a granite...

I feel so dumb.

Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I want another orange like Punk'n or even better would be a purple like plum crazy or extreme purple. I will be ordering a Mojave as soon as it is available, but would hold off if one of those were coming. otherwise will go with black and a wrap to one of the colors I want.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
My daughter had a Cosmo Blue JK, they were quite the rage for awhile. Looked the color of blue on a Lego piece. The day she traded it for a Grand Cherokee, it never hit the lot. It's a better shade than Chief in my opinion.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
White, Black, and shades of gray (in that order), are the best selling colors across the industry. The colors represent prosperity (it is also considered a "conservative" color, conveying a sense of success without being gaudy).
People want to have something not everyone else has. That's why colors used to go in cycles...you'd see good 'ole red and blue have their time, then green, yellow, and/or orange would take the spotlight for awhile, and sometimes we'd have a resurgence of black in there temporarily. Then the cycle would start over again. This is because people would buy the "new" color that no one else had, until too many people had it, then they'd look for the next "new" color and buy that. But the cycle got broken in the early 2000's when grey became popular, because dealers stopped stocking the other colors. They would generally have a white or black one here and there, but otherwise it was all grays. Thus, when someone wanted something "different" they'd have to pick black or white...so then black and white became popular. But dealers never started stocking colors again, so they never became popular again. Thus we've been stuck with Black/Gray/White for nearly 20 years now. The color cycle has been lost.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
Gecko or even Dodge's Sublime. Maybe even Plum Crazy Purple.
+1. More colors = more better!

I think if they still had Mojito! my FIL would have bought the Rubicon he's always wanted. For now, he's still slumming it in a '14 base F-150.

Allagash27

First Name
Jacques
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
It's a chicken/egg dilemma.

Dealers always say "we sell the most white, gray, and black vehicles". But their lots are also full of black, white, and gray vehicles, and the vast majority of buyers want to drive their car home today...not in 6-8 weeks, so what's on the lot is what's going to sell. So what's the cause and what's the effect? I really wonder if a dealer just decided one day that they were going to stock only red/blue/green/yellow/orange colors...would they notice a big drop in sales or would they just end up selling a lot more colored vehicles?

It's why my wife has had white and black vehicles since 2010...every single time we went in looking for RED, and every time the dealer said "well you can order it", but she wasn't interested in waiting months for a car...so she had to pick from black/gray/white. This time around she finally got tired of driving an invisible vehicle so she was willing to wait to get what she wanted. I also think that the fact that yellow was available was what really pushed her over the edge.

I like the bright colors so I am not a fan of all the dull shades. If you count silver (and I do) there are currently 3 shades of grey available. I bought my 2018 used so ordering wasn't an option. I wanted a JL, and by last January there weren't that many used for sale yet. Mandatory search parameters were a JLU Sport with hard top and a manual trans, so I assumed I'd get stuck with a color I didn't like. I was thrilled to find a red one, and it was worth driving 500 miles (each way) to pick it up. Of course I did search the internet for 2 months before I found it.

I do like white on Jeeps reasonably well, though more so on the older ones and not so much on the 4-doors for some reason. And only if it has black fenders and top. White body, top, and fenders? Nope.

Hella Yella is great too, and I miss the Orange Crush option. Punkin Orange is rather dull by comparison.

Sponsored

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Does anyone have any opinions?

I just ordered a Sting Gray Rubi for my wife, and it got me thinking...

What would be on your color wishlist for 2022?

I’m hoping for something similar to Anvil. I feel the blue color choices are really super specific. I wasn’t sold on Chief, and hydro blue was just okay for me. To be honest Sting Gray might be my favorite color, but I don’t see the point in getting a second Jeep with the same color.

I know Jeep always has changes every year, so what are you hoping for...🤷🏼‍♂️
1. Bring Back Punkin
2. Offer matt/non-glossy finish in all color options.

lordcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
My previous rig was a '14 JKUR in Copperhead Pearl Metallic. I loved that color and had it been available when I got my '20 JKUS I would have chosen it again without hesitation.

A close second would have been Amp'd, another only-2014 color which I liked. Reminded me of the Inca Gold color on the TJ.