Sponsored

2022 Anti Slip Differential Option

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Has anyone figured out why they don't offer LSD in a Rubicon? The need for LSD is during mostly on road driving where lockers are of no use. So why not offer LSD in a Rubi as well?
LSD is a problem off-road. When 1 wheel is off the ground you pretty much stop and spin the wheel in the air.
Sponsored

zakaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4dr, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1986 Honda Nighthawk S
I vote another yes. I actually wanted the LSD over lockers on the Rubicon, so I went with the Willys package. Snow driving is what made the decision easy.

Jmos4

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Challenger Scat Pack M6/2007 Ram 2500 G56
Hi,

I also live in MI and have a limited slip in my Ram 2500, drive year round no issues, behaves a little different than a open rear, but if worried pull the stick into 4wd, issues solved, like anything you'll get use to it. I also have a Tacoma withe a Detroit locker in it it's a little odd to drive but again you'll get use to it.

So check the box as cheaper ordering new vs installing after the fact.

Regards,
Jim

Sponsored

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Really? This sounds like an open diff to me.
Yup, that’s an open diff not LSD.
C’mon guys you are on a Jeep forum. At least google how LSD works before commenting. With a wheel in the air, LSD has no friction to work against to lock in the other side. They are not magic and just always know what to do. We wouldn’t have lockers if LSD worked like magic. ;)

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
not a problem at all, if you know how to use it.

gentle application of the handbrake (along with gentle application of accelerator) will cause your LSD to lock up just fine, even with one wheel in the air.

LSD is a problem off-road. When 1 wheel is off the ground you pretty much stop and spin the wheel in the air.

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
not a problem at all, if you know how to use it.

gentle application of the handbrake (along with gentle application of accelerator) will cause your LSD to lock up just fine, even with one wheel in the air.
BLD helps also. But depends on how much torque is needed to move the Jeep forward. The wheel in the air will get most of the torque. You need enough torque to split to the wheel on the ground. It might be enough but rock crawling more likely it isn’t.

Hence we have gone full circle, why doesn’t a rubicon have LSD? Because bld and a open diff works great until you need lockers, which a rubicon has. LSD and bld work good enough for what a sport, Sahara etc need. Because you’re supposed keep 4 wheels on the ground or buy a rubicon :like:

zakaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4dr, 2004 Pontiac GTO, 1986 Honda Nighthawk S
@stumblinhorse You are correct in your scenario - if you do only have LSD and 1 wheel in the air, then it does not work magic and you will spin that wheel in the air since it has no resistance to activate the clutch packs. The BLD will help, but there is always a correct tool for the job - in this case a locker. I'm quite familiar with how LSD works - I've used it to my benefit driving the GTO in snow for the past 11 years. Granted, my wheels never left the ground in that car...

So it really comes down to what you want the vehicle to do. If you want to climb rocks or drag race (not that you'd be doing that in a Wrangler), then the right tool is the locker. I chose LSD because my trail rides are more tight turns through muddy woods and street driving through snow in the winter. I figured I'd get more use over lockers for my use case driving. The time I get stuck and start spinning a rear wheel, I'll remember this thread and wish I had that locker 🤪

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
@stumblinhorse You are correct in your scenario - if you do only have LSD and 1 wheel in the air, then it does not work magic and you will spin that wheel in the air since it has no resistance to activate the clutch packs. The BLD will help, but there is always a correct tool for the job - in this case a locker. I'm quite familiar with how LSD works - I've used it to my benefit driving the GTO in snow for the past 11 years. Granted, my wheels never left the ground in that car...

So it really comes down to what you want the vehicle to do. If you want to climb rocks or drag race (not that you'd be doing that in a Wrangler), then the right tool is the locker. I chose LSD because my trail rides are more tight turns through muddy woods and street driving through snow in the winter. I figured I'd get more use over lockers for my use case driving. The time I get stuck and start spinning a rear wheel, I'll remember this thread and wish I had that locker 🤪
You drove a GTO for 11 years and you say the tires never left the ground? Now I really don’t believe you! :rock:
Sponsored