2022 392XR - 10,000 Mile Review

Samsingh

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
So just passed the 10k mile mark on the 392 and figured I'd share my thoughts, pros and cons. For reference I ordered around Dec 2021 and it was delivered April 2022 (don't ask me how I got it quick, just got really lucky I guess). It's a 2022XR w/Sky One Touch Roof. I will add to this post as I think of things...

Initial Thoughts:
So this is the second Jeep I have ever owned and the first was a '21 JLU that I had for 8 months prior to this. Previous to this I have owned an E92 M3, multiple E46 M3s, LX470, GX470, GX460 (Still have), among other daily drivers and by far this is the most fun vehicle I have ever owned. The ability to floor this thing and have all that speed and power and then hit the trails right after is just unreal.

Pros: (These will be leaning more towards the 392, not the overall JL platform)
  • The Motor: Obviously its just insane to have this much power in a Jeep but at the same time it just feels so right. From the first time I drove it (Which was at delivery btw) til now, the smile factor as I stomp on the gas is still 100% there.
  • The Exhaust: Prior to taking delivery I would listen to the exhaust on YouTube and think that it sounds good but maybe I'll upgrade and make it a bit louder and throatier. However, after delivery and after driving this around I found that I had no desire to upgrade. It sounds amazing as is and now that I have a few miles on the jeep it feels like its gotten louder. So far I haven't had any desire to upgrade and still love the cold start! And in Off Road+ mode/manual mode coming off the gas at 2-3k RPMs it pops and crackles...sounds amazing
  • Off Road+ : Now this is a topic that could warrant its own thread but I'll share it here for now. From my experience, Off Road+ is basically a Sport mode that I think is more useful on road than off road. When Off Road+ is engaged it stays in a lower gear and just ready to take off, the throttle is more responsive, and the transmission seriously goes into a race mode! Stomping on the gas in Off Road+ mode makes this thing sound like an F1 car! This seriously reminds me of the DCT transmission on my E92 M3, it seriously shifts that fast! However, when the Off Road+ mode is off it shifts more like a normal automatic. Maybe this is a known thing but I just accidentally discovered this because I forgot to turn off the off road+ mode after a trail.
  • Comfort: To be honest I did not expect this vehicle to be as comfortable as it is. You can kind of forget you are in a Jeep, it feels solid and has a luxurious experience, the steering wheel controls all just feel like they are in the right place and even then it just feels like its simple. Overall I haven't found myself getting tired of long drives and I've done 6+ hours without issues.
  • The Safari Roof, The ability to open the one touch roof while driving, I seriously just feel like I'm driving a convertible and having the ability to open it up while driving is so awesome. Living in Arizona, apart fro the summers the weather is amazing and its a huge bonus to do that vs the freedom panels on my previous JL. (Not a 392 specific feature but I've only experienced it on this). And being able to remove the rear window panels is also a bonus, don't really have the need to remove the roof anymore tbh.
Cons:
  • By far the biggest con is that the motor keeps dying on me when its on a decent decline with anything less than half a tank of gas. I've taken it to Jeep, they've replaced the gas tank thinking the Venturi tube wasn't connected in the tank but I still have the issue. It's obvious that the motor just starves and lose power and the fuel gauge shows empty and as soon as it levels out its back to normal. Not sure what the issue is, I'll keep trying to hunt down the problem.
  • Fuel Economy/Range, now I know this vehicle isn't built to conserve gas, and to be honest its not something I really looked at when purchasing the vehicle. I have my Diesel 4cyl for that, but what I don't like is the range. I wish there was an option to get a larger tank so I have more range. I average about 12-13mpg and I accept that but not being able to go more than 250 miles is just sh*tty. I wish there was a way to keep the 4cyl mode engaged for longer drives but it tends to turn off with any sort of load on the engine, basically feels like its just on going down hill.
  • Small con but just annoying: when engaging the one touch roof every time I press the button to open and when the roof fully opens and vice versa when closing it cuts the music for a quick second like a CD skipping. I couldn't figure out what it was but made the connection and now notice it every time.
  • Tow Capacity, it would be nice to be able to tow at least a car. 3,500lbs is nice for a trailer but its not much. I understand its due to the wheel base but one can wish

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 392XR - 10,000 Mile Review IMG_0819.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Great Info in your post.....Thank you.. đź‘Ť

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Agree on range. It kinda sucks. I average 9 lol. But it’s all local streets. Motor is great but I still think it’s a bit mild tune wise.

I haven’t had the shutting off issue you described with under a half tank.

XR package is worth it for gears and wheels IMO abut I wish it would have had things like adjustable arms with a better flexing joint, 2.5 reservoir shocks and hydro bumps like the Mojave.

also in general I don’t love the driveshaft issue we’re seeing — they should have just sold it with a caster corrected axle instead knowing people were going to lift them and still want to use full time 4wd.

And when are they going to tie the rear steel bumper better to the frame to prevent vertical deflection :(

but overall quite happy. Lift and fox 3.0’s going on this month.

sxm1298

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Xtreme Recon
Occupation
IT Business Relationship Manager
"Small con but just annoying: when engaging the one touch roof every time I press the button to open and when the roof fully opens and vice versa when closing it cuts the music for a quick second like a CD skipping. I couldn't figure out what it was but made the connection and now notice it every time."

From another post -
It’s not really cutting out, the Jeep has two profiles in the radio, one for an enclosed top one for an open top. Pressing the the button switches the profile.

I believe it is also discussed in the owners manual.

Sponsored

EMpunker

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon V6
Sounds like the pros greatly outweigh the cons!

The main thing holding me back from the 392 is the range.

DwnSth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ : 2021 JLURD
Talk about range to my 2002 TJ....200 miles per tank if I'm lucky with the old 4.0 6 getting around what the 392 at it's worst. I do like that my diesel gets about 380 even with the smaller tank. The 392 is still on my list regardless just have to decide if I want yet another jeep in the garage :) Doubt anyone is getting a 392 with mpg or range as a selling point.

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392

The range for me is within a few miles of exactly the same as my JKUR. The lift and tires were pretty much the same. That link is to the mileage thread. You can see I am at almost 200 miles with about a half of tank. Then off road like every other wrangler, it gets about 8-10.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/best-highway-mpgs-tires-ratio.106742/#post-2221767

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Talk about range to my 2002 TJ....200 miles per tank if I'm lucky with the old 4.0 6 getting around what the 392 at it's worst. I do like that my diesel gets about 380 even with the smaller tank. The 392 is still on my list regardless just have to decide if I want yet another jeep in the garage :) Doubt anyone is getting a 392 with mpg or range as a selling point.
Agreed. It's still annoying, but it wouldn't stop me from buying it again or anything. It's enough range to do my favorite trails all day long.

OP
OP
Samsingh

Samsingh

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
My only issue is that it makes me nervous at anything less than half tank as it starts to starve the engine at steep declines. Would just be nice if they fixed that issue but I didn't really buy it for the MPG, more for Smiles Per Gallon

haha that they do, range sucks just get a couple of 5 gallon Aux tanks and you have another ~120 miles.

"Small con but just annoying: when engaging the one touch roof every time I press the button to open and when the roof fully opens and vice versa when closing it cuts the music for a quick second like a CD skipping. I couldn't figure out what it was but made the connection and now notice it every time."

From another post -
It’s not really cutting out, the Jeep has two profiles in the radio, one for an enclosed top one for an open top. Pressing the the button switches the profile.

I believe it is also discussed in the owners manual.
Its odd that it does that twice, once when I engage the roof to open and once when it fully opens. But that may be the reason and makes sense, glad its not just a random bug and built into the system.

sounds like a headache to deal with all those cons. You should just sell it to me at bottom dollar.
haha oh I'll deal with the cons and hold on to this bad boy for a while.

JeremyFolden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler 392
You know a friend of mine said it best. It’s not the miles per gallon it’s the smiles per gallon and my 392 gives me way more smiles per gallon.
Sponsored