Sponsored

2022 392 CA Additional Smog Equipment Requirement Rumor...

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
My guess: It will likely be any CARB compliant states. I think 17 states have adopted CARB standards over the EPA - I’m not 100% sure. Amazing how one state where I don’t get to vote for any of the politicians gets to dictate the policies of other states.
Mustang de-tune is 50 state. It’s highly unlikely they will produce with different tunes for different states. 22 specs should be announced shortly
Sponsored

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel
That’s my concern. They need to do it to comply with CARB (and 17 other CARB compliant states) so they just derate all of them because it’s cheaper. I bet most people don’t know the reason all the manufacturers are producing EVs is because CARB said if you don’t have an EV alternative you can’t sell your vehicle in the state of California. Being that California is the largest market, they all jumped on board. Hence, the Jeep 4xe and why plug in hybrids were born. There is a lot of artificial manipulation of the markets happening.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compliance_car

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C
That’s my concern. They need to do it to comply with CARB (and 17 other CARB compliant states) so they just derate all of them because it’s cheaper. I bet most people don’t know the reason all the manufacturers are producing EVs is because CARB said if you don’t have an EV alternative you can’t sell your vehicle in the state of California. Being that California is the largest market, they all jumped on board. Hence, the Jeep 4xe and why plug in hybrids were born. There is a lot of artificial manipulation of the markets happening.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compliance_car
correct, and I’m all for market choice, but not for market manipulation by regulations and laws 😡

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
Just in- They‘re going to use cylinder deactivation technology for the 392’s so most of the time, such as around town, they’ll be running in 4 cylinder mode, going up to 6 cylinders if you‘re on the highway and need to pass someone. The other two cylinders (to make 8) wont kick in unless you have a $4,000 smog tax sticker from the state and those last two cylinders are then activated at the dealer. (just kidding don’t panic)

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just in- They‘re going to use cylinder deactivation technology for the 392’s so most of the time, such as around town, they’ll be running in 4 cylinder mode, going up to 6 cylinders if you‘re on the highway and need to pass someone. The other two cylinders (to make 8) wont kick in unless you have a $4,000 smog tax sticker from the state and those last two cylinders are then activated at the dealer. (just kidding don’t panic)
HEY- don’t give the F.....ERS any ideas!!!

Sponsored

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
I had a ptsd moment from my old 6.0 Vmax engine grenading itself from that crap, definitely don't give them any ideas!

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had a ptsd moment from my old 6.0 Vmax engine grenading itself from that crap, definitely don't give them any ideas!
Especially since 392’s are known for cam issues with MDS being a suspect cause and can no longer be shut off (my 392 GC has an off on button) because they now take an EPA mileage decrease if we’re given the option to turn it off (according to dealer)🤬

Gorpf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21-392, AEV-JL370
Occupation
Retired
My guess: It will likely be any CARB compliant states. I think 17 states have adopted CARB standards over the EPA - I’m not 100% sure. Amazing how one state where I don’t get to vote for any of the politicians gets to dictate the policies of other states.
Curious if anyone from other states listed are hearing about this when placing an order. Wonder if they’ll require 2021 orders to have changes for emissions added.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 392 CA Additional Smog Equipment Requirement Rumor... 636A53B3-ED51-424C-953F-4FF320A69F7C

Last edited:

Love6MT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
My 22' order is in and it has a sales code of for California Emissions

NAE - California Emissions - $0
Underneath it does say "restriction"

It is not a California dealer and my address is outside of CA.

Was this code on 21' 392's??

Last edited:

Sponsored

houseofdiesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel & 2021 392
Whoa man. I’m no snowflake but as a Jew that lives in CA that is super insensitive. Take that shit down.
Maybe Politicians shouldn't be mandating people supply papers. Guy was right on. Mark Levin calls it out all the time, and he is Jewish. Maybe more Jewish people should start calling out politicians that are infringing on people's civil liberties and rights to privacy.

houseofdiesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel & 2021 392
Living in California, one gets used to the bashing. And sometimes the regulations can feel burdensome. But I remember driving into LA and seeing the brown/grey haze over the city in the early 1980's. Air quality has really improved in the last few decades. And I found that I sort of become accustomed clean air and water. Kinda nice. I've been to cities in other countries where that wasn't a given.

In any case, it's good to know that there are no new emissions requirements for MY2022.

You do realize that we had already cut auto emissions by 99% before Bush was even President right? At what point is enough, enough? Poor people are already having a hard time paying to fix 20 year old jalopies. How are they going to be able to replace a $10k battery? Mandating thousands of dollars be added to the price of every vehicle to cut a fraction of 1% is pure insanity. A fraction of people will be daily driving 392. All the vehicles they target are vehicles that are on the road a fraction of the time compared to full on commuter vehicles, which means they aren't changing or saving anything anything.

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
Basically additional software to prevent/check/detect if the ECU has been turned. Even my friend’s JK wrangler went to dealer and had TSB updated their ECU to be able to pass smog.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 392 CA Additional Smog Equipment Requirement Rumor... 8E9AD987-13E5-483F-A286-E871486EE9B2
Jeep Wrangler JL 2022 392 CA Additional Smog Equipment Requirement Rumor... 5EB78A45-A80F-4DD6-8BD9-0C2EF9E5541F

Ronin-go

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Pontiac Firebird, 1968 GMC stepside, 2009 G8
You do realize that we had already cut auto emissions by 99% before Bush was even President right? At what point is enough, enough? Poor people are already having a hard time paying to fix 20 year old jalopies. How are they going to be able to replace a $10k battery? Mandating thousands of dollars be added to the price of every vehicle to cut a fraction of 1% is pure insanity. A fraction of people will be daily driving 392. All the vehicles they target are vehicles that are on the road a fraction of the time compared to full on commuter vehicles, which means they aren't changing or saving anything anything.
I think that number is probably closer to 50%.
https://insideclimatenews.org/infographics/chart-average-us-vehicle-co2-emissions/

You do have a point regarding increasing the cost of vehicles only makes them less accessible to poor people. That's a huge challenge that needs to be addressed for sure.

As for diminishing returns for imposing regulations on cars that are driven very little, that's very hard for regulators to forecast. But I will tell you that here in California, we did something sort of like that. Many of us supported legislature sponsored by SEMA making the case the older cars (typically collector cars) were driven very little compared to newer models. We got an exemption passed for those older cars back in the mid-80's, and it's still in place today. A cut-off year (1975) was put into place.

But it does prove that car enthusiasts can push back and win. Prior to that, cars built in 1967 and later were required to pass an emissions test every other year, and owners just kept them in their garages, afraid to modify them.

I'm not a big fan of lobbyists in general. But some, like SEMA and other enthusiast groups, can be great supporters that we can call on to keep great cars on the road.

gerlbaum

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangle Sport Diesel
And I found that I sort of become accustomed clean air and water. Kinda nice.
OK so my only issue is a flaw in your logic. What you just stated is a classic example of a false dichotomy. You’re suggesting the only alternative is dirty air and dirty water. That’s nonsense. Those kind of arguments work great for politicians but it is, in fact, grounded in a logical fallacy.

At least in world my only real issue with California (having lived there for 7 years) is their inability to realize they are not the center of the world. California, specifically la county has some significant air quality issues they’ve dealt with. There are ~16m people living in that county alone. That is double my entire state of Arizona. I appreciate and like when California can fix issues but just because it works there it doesn’t mean it will work somewhere else, nor should it. That is obtuse and arrogant.

You can see such arrogance in a quote from your governor and I think this attitude permeates Californian politicians (and I mean CA Republicans as well). They need to be checked.

“America in 2019 is California in the 1990s,” Newsom says, not approvingly. “And so, we’re not going to put up with that. We are going to push back.”

Now, the topic he was referring to I happen to agree with but his attitude is you’re going to like the Californian way of thinking whether you want to or not. If this attitude wasn’t so popular in CA then how do these CA politicians keep getting elected?

It’s just another type of flawed logic.
Sponsored