Sponsored

2022 392 CA Additional Smog Equipment Requirement Rumor...

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
So what is your point? That you had to pay more for gas due to some gasoline additive regulation in California that not only reduced your mileage but also resulted in some nasty unintended consequences from the additive? I am asking this respectfully.

My comment is not a defense of the overarching regulatory environment in California. I am not saying that CA's state legislature hasn't made, and continues to make, a lot of mistakes and wastes people's time. That is what bureaucracies do, unfortunately. My point is that California no longer has air quality akin to that of Beijing with the reason being state mandated emissions equipment. That despite there being millions more vehicles on the road.

It is absolutely annoying that we have to pay for extra equipment that also hinders performance. If there were fewer people in the US then maybe we could all roll coal 24/7 with little consequence. Not sure how familiar with how it use to be in So Cal 40 to 70 years ago. Was really bad and has gotten a lot better.

https://www.kcet.org/shows/lost-la/l-a-s-smoggy-past-in-photos
Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
So what is your point? That you had to pay more for gas due to some gasoline additive regulation in California that not only reduced your mileage but also resulted in some nasty unintended consequences from the additive? I am asking this respectfully.

My comment is not a defense of the overarching regulatory environment in California. I am not saying that CA's state legislature hasn't made, and continues to make, a lot of mistakes and wastes people's time. That is what bureaucracies do, unfortunately. My point is that California no longer has air quality akin to that of Beijing with the reason being state mandated emissions equipment. That despite there being millions more vehicles on the road.

It is absolutely annoying that we have to pay for extra equipment that also hinders performance. If there were fewer people in the US then maybe we could all roll coal 24/7 with little consequence. Not sure how familiar with how it use to be in So Cal 40 to 70 years ago. Was really bad and has gotten a lot better.

https://www.kcet.org/shows/lost-la/l-a-s-smoggy-past-in-photos
70 year old native. I agree that it was horrible and regs were necessary and it has gotten a lot better. My issue with Ca is that they pass regs at a cost and restrictions that achieve a good percentage of their goals, but it is never enough and they pass more regs with much more restrictions and cost for a small extra percentage gain.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
70 year old native. I agree that it was horrible and regs were necessary and it has gotten a lot better. My issue with Ca is that they pass regs at a cost and restrictions that achieve a good percentage of their goals, but it is never enough and they pass more regs with much more restrictions and cost for a small extra percentage gain.
I fully agree... though I admittedly say this as someone who hasn't lived in the state for some time now.

From a now-outsider perspective, it seems like the state has a lot of opportunities in this department. That despite many of the problems in California are also clearly also a result of the state being a victim of its own success.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I fully agree... though I admittedly say this as someone who hasn't lived in the state for some time now.

From a now-outsider perspective, it seems like the state has a lot of opportunities in this department. That despite many of the problems in California are also clearly also a result of the state being a victim of its own success.
Too much symbolism over substance anymore. Small water districts were required to install equipment to remove about 90% of heavy metals like mercury at a very high cost and this was good. They came right back and wanted more equipment at another very high cost to get another about 3% more. Disagree with huge expense and-or restrictions for a small gain and you are accused of wanting ā€œdirty air and dirty water ā€œ the list goes on.

Devil6Dog

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Snazzleberry, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee,
haha - if it was only that easy. Here's the list of CARB states according to Wikipedia:

Criteria Pollutant RegulationGHG RegulationZEV Program
StateAdopted (by model year)
California199220091990
New York199320091993
Massachusetts199520091995
Vermont200020092000
Maine200120092001
Pennsylvania20012009N/A
Connecticut200820092008
Rhode Island200820092008
Washington20092009N/A[a]
Oregon200920092009
New Jersey200920092009
Maryland201120112011
Delaware20142014N/A
Colorado20222022
It's easier than you think. I left last year to Arizona best decision of my life. Smogging my other vehicles here takes less than 3 minutes literally and $17. Maybe because all my cars are from California and WAY over regulated.

Sponsored

ekim

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ
So does anyone actually know what is different, or is this just 9 pages of bitching about California?
I was told different catalytic converters - no more detail than that, this is from dealer not directly from Jeep....

Keating

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 392
Yeah, what gives with this? I ordered my '22 392 and the VIN and description states California Emissions States Order YCF and NAE. I live in Arizona, not CA.

RobC2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon 2 Door
Curious to know the difference as well since my order has it. I ordered in VA, live in NC. Don't want it if there is a performance difference, don't care one way or the other if there isn't.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Old thread, but somebody should have gotten a 22 Ca 392 by now and report what the additional Ca emissions requirements are, and if there is a performance difference?

Sponsored

StuM

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nova, Wrangler 392 XR, TRX Ign Ed, Evora GT
To meet Ca (and other states using Caā€™s emissions requirements), a new ā€˜22 model needs to have option ā€œNAEā€ added to the build and shown On sticker. In 2022 Ca added new and additional requirements that once again make them different than the normal Federal emissions standards. Similar to my new ā€˜22 Ram p/u, the differences include programming for added ECU data captures involving mpg and CO2 emissions and more dense, more effective catā€™s. I ordered my incoming 392 from out of Ca state and my Ohio dealer had to specifically add the ā€œNAEā€ option to my build so that it can be Ca smog compliant. Local dealers say that a ā€˜22 Ca non-compliant vehicle can not even be made Ca compliant by them. Beware!

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mo
To meet Ca (and other states using Caā€™s emissions requirements), a new ā€˜22 model needs to have option ā€œNAEā€ added to the build and shown On sticker. In 2022 Ca added new and additional requirements that once again make them different than the normal Federal emissions standards. Similar to my new ā€˜22 Ram p/u, the differences include programming for added ECU data captures involving mpg and CO2 emissions and more dense, more effective catā€™s. I ordered my incoming 392 from out of Ca state and my Ohio dealer had to specifically add the ā€œNAEā€ option to my build so that it can be Ca smog compliant. Local dealers say that a ā€˜22 Ca non-compliant vehicle can not even be made Ca compliant by them. Beware!
More dense, more effective should mean more restrictive. More restrictive could mean power and/or mpg loss, but we wonā€™t know until someone gets one and tells us.

StuM

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nova, Wrangler 392 XR, TRX Ign Ed, Evora GT
Mo

More dense, more effective should mean more restrictive. More restrictive could mean power and/or mpg loss, but we wonā€™t know until someone gets one and tells us.
My Snazzberry 392 XR is in the shipping phase as we type. Hope itā€™s here, in Ca, in a week or so. Of course, I donā€™t have a non-Ca emissions unit to compare it against.

Rubi64L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sting Gray 392, 2000 Supercharged WJ
I've been researching this, and there is nothing out there that says there's any difference in power output. If there was a difference, they'd have to notify owners or they'd get sued over false advertising. I went through a similar situation with my WJ. The California models had to have two extra cats on them, and the power output suffered by around 15 HP. The power degradation was very clearly listed for CA models. Since that one was destined for a ground-up re-do once I got it (Kenne Bell supercharger, lift, full exhaust, etc.) I ordered from Oregon and took delivery in Oregon. When registered in CA, I had to pay a smog fee, and actually pass smog, but that was it. CA can't force you to do something impossible when you bring an out of state car into the state - but they will put a fee on it.

Long story short, if there was any difference in output, it would be making headlines - yet we can't seem to find a single source that says it's the case.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Snazzberry 392 XR is in the shipping phase as we type. Hope itā€™s here, in Ca, in a week or so. Of course, I donā€™t have a non-Ca emissions unit to compare it against.
Compare it against a 21 if you can find one. Got mine in August and still havenā€™t seen another one .
Sponsored