Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
There is also this, which was already brought up by @Arterius2
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Vs.  Rubicon 1615133461274

Per opinions between the V6 and the 2.0T: be careful what you wish for! Everyone has an opinion.

I went with the V6: it felt more refined, and the fact that FCA has built one gazillion of them over an etire decade proves that it is bulletproof.
Sponsored

Namakan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys
I ordered and took delivery of a Willys 2 months ago and went back and forth on engine choices. In the end I decided the 3.6 was the better choice over the 2L turbo due to its history. I really wanted the diesel but would like to see how this plays out a little longer given what Iā€™ve read over the years with its history in the Ram.

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
Yes it seems too expensive, but in turns the Jeep into a convertible with a button push. With the Sahara Altitude the roof is $2k. Does the retractable roof make it harder to sell?
I used to drive around in my YJ through northern Michigan winters with a soft top and soft doors, and in the summer I didn't bother with the doors and side windows and just let it get soaked.

But now my less flexible joints aren't as willing to deal with getting panels to align, carefully storing vinyl windows is a pain and takes up room, and scraping or evening using the window cleaning brush on vinyl windows is a no-no, etc. So having a push-button open top is amazing. It gets used almost daily. And still having glass windows is a big bonus.

According to NADA the power top still adds $2000 to my 2019 retail value, so I doubt it could be considered hurting the value. And you can always remove it if you don't like it and put on one of the other tops, and you'd have no problem selling the old one. So really there's very little reason not to get it at purchase, which is really about the only time you can get it.

I do think the stock Rubicon looks best, it's hard to argue that. But the Rubicon has features I didn't want, and didn't have features I did want (SelecTrac+LSD). So we got the Sahara. It doesn't take much to dramatically improve the appearance of a Sahara. Get a Rubi steel bumper off craigslist for $500, Rubi rock rails for $50, spray paint the grill inserts dark, and get some wheel/tire takeoffs of Craigslist of your choice, and you're most of the way to a Rubi's looks for for less than the cost of the factory steel bumper option.

But now that the Willy's is offered, I would find it a tempting option. You can get most of the convenience of the Sahara, including the Sky One Touch top and LED headlights that were previously unavailable on the Sport model. And the Willy's package looks darn good, only second best to the Rubicon IMO. But it looks like a complete package, like the Rubi, unlike a Sahara that looks unloved. I would still add the steel bumper though.

When we bought ours, I tried to keep it under a certain dollar amount, but it still came out to be more than intended, and now I only wish I would have added an extra item or two. So my advice is that if you're spending that kind of money, get it how you want it.

As far as engine choices go, it's rather difficult now. Previously you could get the proven but uneventful V6, or the torquey turbo with eTorque that eliminated the turbo lag. Now, the turbo lacks eTorque so lag can be an issue, and the v6 has eTorque for seemingly no reason. Or the diesel with all it's modern inconveniences. So I guess I'd say drive them and choose which makes you happiest.

Best of luck!

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Selec-trac and LSD at the time I ordered mine back in 2018 because I drive in snow for several month a year (I know you can get selec-trac on Rubicon now)

I donā€™t rock crawl so I donā€™t need lockers.

Actually my custom Sahara gets way more attention and admiration than any stock Rubicon thesedays, many many curious passerby stop and ask me whatā€™s this ā€œSandstormā€ and where they can buy one.šŸ˜‚

Aparantly Sandstorms was buyilt by aftermarket

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...d-wrangler-built-for-high-speed-desert-abuse/

Last edited:

Sponsored

Draelor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
For some reason the Jeep site does not let me save configurations. Would be nice to build and quickly compare different models
You can use the Save to PDF option to get a summary for later review.

OP
OP
Cappy

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
As far as engine choices go, it's rather difficult now. Previously you could get the proven but uneventful V6, or the torquey turbo with eTorque that eliminated the turbo lag. Now, the turbo lacks eTorque so lag can be an issue, and the v6 has eTorque for seemingly no reason. Or the diesel with all it's modern inconveniences. So I guess I'd say drive them and choose which makes you happiest.
Ok, so the turbo 2.0 used to have e-torque and now it doesn't? I have test drove a Wrangler 2 times over the past 6 months. Both times, the dealer only had Turbo 2.0s on the lot for some reason. I like the pep, but I did not like hitting the gas and a half or quarter second delay before it kicked in and took off. Just not used to that - but maybe it will be like the stop start and I will get used to it and not notice after some time.

If Turbo 2.0 eTorque had no lag, that probably would be ideal - I wonder why it is no longer an option. I guess I'll need to find a dealer with both the 2 and 3.6 and test both back to back. It certainly would be nice to save $1500 on engine costs and save a bit on gasoline.

Maybe I should just get the Hemi and I would know I have the best!

Unfortunately, I am already over my ideal budget of mid $40s. I do have access to an Employee number through a VP so that will cover the 6% tax bump up.

Thanks for all the help. I have gone from Rubicon, to Sahara, to the Willy base on info in this thread. My final decision is the engine.

OP
OP
Cappy

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I just noticed on the Willy, when try to select remote proximity key unlock I am forced to select the very expensive half door option. I can live without the remote proximity at that price!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I noticed that. It looks to me like one of those glitches in the Jeep.com builder; the dealer is best positioned to clarify.

BTW, itā€™s a Willys, not a Willy...;) And itā€™s pronounced willees, not willis.

Sponsored

Civil_Willy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Willys
I used to drive around in my YJ through northern Michigan winters with a soft top and soft doors, and in the summer I didn't bother with the doors and side windows and just let it get soaked.

But now my less flexible joints aren't as willing to deal with getting panels to align, carefully storing vinyl windows is a pain and takes up room, and scraping or evening using the window cleaning brush on vinyl windows is a no-no, etc. So having a push-button open top is amazing. It gets used almost daily. And still having glass windows is a big bonus.

According to NADA the power top still adds $2000 to my 2019 retail value, so I doubt it could be considered hurting the value. And you can always remove it if you don't like it and put on one of the other tops, and you'd have no problem selling the old one. So really there's very little reason not to get it at purchase, which is really about the only time you can get it.

I do think the stock Rubicon looks best, it's hard to argue that. But the Rubicon has features I didn't want, and didn't have features I did want (SelecTrac+LSD). So we got the Sahara. It doesn't take much to dramatically improve the appearance of a Sahara. Get a Rubi steel bumper off craigslist for $500, Rubi rock rails for $50, spray paint the grill inserts dark, and get some wheel/tire takeoffs of Craigslist of your choice, and you're most of the way to a Rubi's looks for for less than the cost of the factory steel bumper option.

But now that the Willy's is offered, I would find it a tempting option. You can get most of the convenience of the Sahara, including the Sky One Touch top and LED headlights that were previously unavailable on the Sport model. And the Willy's package looks darn good, only second best to the Rubicon IMO. But it looks like a complete package, like the Rubi, unlike a Sahara that looks unloved. I would still add the steel bumper though.

When we bought ours, I tried to keep it under a certain dollar amount, but it still came out to be more than intended, and now I only wish I would have added an extra item or two. So my advice is that if you're spending that kind of money, get it how you want it.

Best of luck!
All great points. I ended up with the Willys because I thought it was a good compromise between the sport and Rubi.

The other thing to consider is how much work you can/will do on it. Some of the fun is putting your stamp on the Jeep. And also, all those add-ons are financed for your term. So if you can do it yourself youā€™ll save some money, but if itā€™s a big install you arenā€™t comfortable with then add now if you can budget it.

Regardless, itā€™s Jeep! Canā€™t go wrong.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, so the turbo 2.0 used to have e-torque and now it doesn't? I have test drove a Wrangler 2 times over the past 6 months. Both times, the dealer only had Turbo 2.0s on the lot for some reason. I like the pep, but I did not like hitting the gas and a half or quarter second delay before it kicked in and took off. Just not used to that - but maybe it will be like the stop start and I will get used to it and not notice after some time.

If Turbo 2.0 eTorque had no lag, that probably would be ideal - I wonder why it is no longer an option. I guess I'll need to find a dealer with both the 2 and 3.6 and test both back to back. It certainly would be nice to save $1500 on engine costs and save a bit on gasoline.

Maybe I should just get the Hemi and I would know I have the best!

Unfortunately, I am already over my ideal budget of mid $40s. I do have access to an Employee number through a VP so that will cover the 6% tax bump up.

Thanks for all the help. I have gone from Rubicon, to Sahara, to the Willy base on info in this thread. My final decision is the engine.
The 2.0 eTorque didnā€™t sell. At one point 80% of unsold JLs sitting on dealer lots had the 2.0 eTorque; FCA had to put a rebate to help dealers unload them.

Following that experiment, FCA killed the 2.0 eTorque and replaced it with a regular 2.0T. Sales of the normal 2.0 turbo have been a lot better.

My educated guess is:
  1. FCA has done a pathetic job marketing eTorque and explaining its benefits. To this day, the vast majority of buyers have no understanding of what benefits they get for the additional $1,500 FCA charges for the technology
  2. FCA does not have the best quality reputation. The 2.0 was brand new to Jeep, and eTorque was brand new to FCA. The combination of the two may have been too much ā€œnewā€ for many buyers to swallow all at once. Add to that the $1,000 price premium FCA wanted for it, and it is easy to see few willing to pay extra for an unknown technology with an unknown track record. Even today, a lot of people balk at having to pay extra for eTorque, but the fact that it is mated to the V6 helps sweeten the deal.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
Know that for what you stated youā€™d be using it for, ANY JL with limited slip and decent tires will work just fine. Iā€™m not a rock crawler so the Rubi stuff just wasnā€™t needed. LED headlights are great BUT I see youā€™re in Michigan. I used to live there and seem to remember it snowed a bit šŸ˜³, in snowy conditions the LEDā€™s are suboptimal since they donā€™t get hot enough to melt the snow.

OP
OP
Cappy

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Know that for what you stated youā€™d be using it for, ANY JL with limited slip and decent tires will work just fine. Iā€™m not a rock crawler so the Rubi stuff just wasnā€™t needed. LED headlights are great BUT I see youā€™re in Michigan. I used to live there and seem to remember it snowed a bit šŸ˜³, in snowy conditions the LEDā€™s are suboptimal since they donā€™t get hot enough to melt the snow.
Yeah it is a balance between functionality needed and style. I could get another Jeep Cherokee and save a bunch of money it can go where I need to without a problem.

I have zero desire to rock climb with a $50k car. Two track logging trails when hunting stresses me enough when an overgrown branch touches the paint on side of my car.
Sponsored