Cappy

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Sahara stock features I'll use every day...nicer/cushier armrests, additional sound deadening, garage door opener, rear USB ports, a suspension biased toward on-road... entry.
I do like these features - I miss having a built in garage door opener and sound deadening 'sounds' good.

Is there anything else the Sahara offers that the Rubicon doesn't ? It looks like Sahara includes running boards but I am sure these could be cheaply added aftermarket.

One thing I do not like the look of body colored fenders or roof as much as the black roof and fenders. The black contrasts nicing with the body color.

The Rubicon tires look very cool in the parking lot, but I wonder if they are impractical and create a bunch of extra road noise on the highway and perhaps get torn up more quickly by lots of pavement driving.

The Sahara seems to be the family sedan of wranglers with their look and comfort compared to the Rubicon. Which is not bad thing as the vast majority of people who buy wranglers are suburban warriors that never go off road - even as much as I do.

(BTW: My pricing above is related to the Sahara Altitude. I see I can get a similarly equipped Sahara Sport for another $500 cheaper.)
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I do like these features - I miss having a built in garage door opener and sound deadening 'sounds' good.

Is there anything else the Sahara offers that the Rubicon doesn't ? It looks like Sahara includes running boards but I am sure these could be cheaply added aftermarket.

One thing I do not like the look of body colored fenders or roof as much as the black roof and fenders. The black contrasts nicing with the body color.

The Rubicon tires look very cool in the parking lot, but I wonder if they are impractical and create a bunch of extra road noise on the highway and perhaps get torn up more quickly by lots of pavement driving.

The Sahara seems to be the family sedan of wranglers with their look and comfort compared to the Rubicon. Which is not bad thing as the vast majority of people who buy wranglers are suburban warriors that never go off road - even as much as I do.

(BTW: My pricing above is related to the Sahara Altitude. I see I can get a similarly equipped Sahara Sport for another $500 cheaper.)
Selec-trac and LSD at the time I ordered mine back in 2018 because I drive in snow for several month a year (I know you can get selec-trac on Rubicon now)

I donā€™t rock crawl so I donā€™t need lockers.

Actually my custom Sahara gets way more attention and admiration than any stock Rubicon thesedays, many many curious passerby stop and ask me whatā€™s this ā€œSandstormā€ and where they can buy one.šŸ˜‚

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Vs.  Rubicon CE79764D-7EB9-41D3-BF80-12E54C05475C

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Vs.  Rubicon F1714319-576C-4075-8986-49CD6205A868

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Vs.  Rubicon 436CD5C3-191F-4CEA-9EA9-16AF67CFC86B

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cappy

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Selec-trac and LSD at the time I ordered mine back in 2018 because I drive in snow for several month a year (I know you can get selec-trac on Rubicon now)

Actually my custom Sahara get way more attention and admiration than any stock Rubicon these days, many many curious people stop by and ask me whatā€™s this ā€œSandstormā€ and where they can buy one.šŸ˜‚
That does look nice. I have no interest in Rock Crawling. It looks like you added off road tires and nicer wheels among some other things.

I don't see select track as an option on the Rubicon unless it is included.

How do you like the one touch power top?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
That does look nice. I have no interest in Rock Crawling. It looks like you added off road tires and nicer wheels among some other things.

I don't see select track as an option on the Rubicon unless it is included.

How do you like the one touch power top?
The wheels are stock, they are the upgraded Sahara wheel from factory.

Also thatā€™s the sunrider for hardtop, not the one touch power top. Both are nice however.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Vs.  Rubicon DC17CE00-8255-447A-B38B-A4419449D552

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Vs.  Rubicon 8A173B18-CD33-4164-868E-D23D83383B17

LatteSipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Sahara 6MT, '23 Highlander

I can't recall anything else the Sahara has that the Rubicon doesn't. As mentioned the Rubicon offers full-time 4wd now too, it's called something else than Selec-Trac.

IIRC OEM unpainted fenders are $500(?) new, but I'm sure you could do better used or aftermarket. You also mentioned grille inserts, that's ~$150 to swap out the silver Sahara ones for black OEM. I was running numbers comparing the various trim options to get to the Jeep I want and looked into the cost of items like that, even adding "premium" armrests and door cards (~$1k).

I've read positive reviews of the KO2s being quiet, and had them on my XJ years ago and don't recall any issues, so similar to posted above I plan to buy them for the OEM Sahara wheels when the factory tires need replacing.

My friends bust my chops about wanting the "comfort" items, being a dash-stroker or "Latte Sipper." Maybe that's why I got the family Wrangler :) It's all good, looking forward to taking the top off and hitting the beach, woods, weekend adventures with the kids...more fun than what we're driving now.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
  • All Saharas come with painted fenders and side steps.
  • Sahara Altitude comes only with color matched hardtop and black leather. Sahara can be had with soft top or hardtop, color-matched or black; cloth or leather seats in black or saddle. If you plan on getting black leather and painted top, Sahara Altitude saves you $500 from a similarly equipped Sahara.
  • Thereā€™s no Sahara Sport.
  • The only things Sahara offers that Rubicon doesnā€™t are the automatic rear LSD in lieu of lockers, the stitched leather dashboard covers ā€”with leather seatsā€” instead of red covers, and side steps instead of rock rails.
  • All Saharas, regardless of cloth or leather seats, come with fancy door and console armrests with extra padding and contrasting stitching.
  • On Rubicon with cloth seats you get Sportā€™s molded plastic armrests; on Rubicon with leather seats you get Saharaā€™s fancy armrests.
  • Leather seats on Sahara and Rubicon add a rear fold down armrest.
  • BTW, the leather stitching is contrasting silver on Sahara, contrasting red on Rubicon, and non-contrasting black on Sahara Altitude. The contrasting stitching is carried over the steering wheel, shifter boots, dashboard, armrests and seats. Looks very nice IMO.

Last edited:

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I thought I read somewhere that Rubis tend to depreciate faster than Sports, no? Or maybe it's just the same rate but the price gap to make up is much larger.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

Actually my custom Sahara gets way more attention and admiration than any stock Rubicon thesedays, many many curious passerby stop and ask me whatā€™s this ā€œSandstormā€ and where they can buy one.šŸ˜‚

CE79764D-7EB9-41D3-BF80-12E54C05475C.jpeg

F1714319-576C-4075-8986-49CD6205A868.jpeg

436CD5C3-191F-4CEA-9EA9-16AF67CFC86B.jpeg
Your Sahara looks great!

Are those 285/75R18 Duratracs?

I was seriously considering keeping my Sahara wheels and getting those tires, instead of going with 17ā€ rims and regular 35x12.5 tires.

I ended going with 35x12.5 tires, but I still like a narrower and taller tire look on a Jeep.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Vs.  Rubicon 1615063823980

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I thought I read somewhere that Rubis tend to depreciate faster than Sports, no? Or maybe it's just the same rate but the price gap to make up is much larger.
All Wranglers hold their value very well. You get a lot when you trade in your Rubicon, but you also pay more upfront.

OP
OP
Cappy

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Off topic of my original question.... I accidently did a build starting with a Wrangler Unlimited Sport thinking I was doing a Sahara Sport (which does not exist)

I was able to add the sky one touch, upgraded wheels and all the option of the rubicon and more and come in cheaper than the Rubicon without the $4000 dollar top upgrade.

I imagine the sport does not come with the some of the extra built in comfort features of the Sahara that have been mentioned.

Seems upgrading the sport with all the trimmings is the way to go if I am not rock climbing.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Off topic of my original question.... I accidently did a build starting with a Wrangler Unlimited Sport thinking I was doing a Sahara Sport (which does not exist)

I was able to add the sky one touch, upgraded wheels and all the option of the rubicon and more and come in cheaper than the Rubicon without the $4000 dollar top upgrade.

I imagine the sport does not come with the some of the extra built in comfort features of the Sahara that have been mentioned.

Here is the build https://www.jeep.com/bmo.wrangler.2...K,ALP,ADE,ADC,AJ1,AGS,AAN,RC4,CLP,MRK,ADH,25S

Seem upgrading the sport with all the trimings is the way to go if I am not rock climbing.
Being in Michigan, Iā€™d add proximity locks, the LED Lighting Group and the Cold Weather Group.

Also, I wouldnā€™t bother with the Mopar door sill guards; they are useless. Quadratec has a set that covers much more for 1/2 of the cost. https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/custom-fit-entry-guards-jeep-wrangler-jl-jt

Mopar door sill guards
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Vs.  Rubicon 1615067777855

Quadratec door sill guards
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Vs.  Rubicon 1615067837354

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Your Sahara looks great!

Are those 285/75R18 Duratracs?

I was seriously considering keeping my Sahara wheels and getting those tires, instead of going with 17ā€ rims and regular 35x12.5 tires.

I ended going with 35x12.5 tires, but I still like a narrower and taller tire look on a Jeep.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Vs.  Rubicon 1615067837354
Yep, good eye, those are indeed the 285/75R18 Duratracs!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at your build, you may want to look into a Willys instead. Willys comes standard with the rear LSD and I believe the bigger brakes. It also offers steel rock rails with built-in side steps as an option.

The big brake kit is standard on Sahara and Rubicon ā€”and I think on Willys; big brakes come in handy if you are planning to get bigger tires.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cappy

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Looking at your build, you may want to look into a Willys instead. Willys comes standard with the rear LSD and I believe the bigger brakes. It also offers steel rock rails with built-in side steps as an option.

The big brake kit is standard on Sahara and Rubicon ā€”and I think on Willys; big brakes come in handy if you are planning to get bigger tires.

Being in Michigan, Iā€™d add proximity locks, the LED Lighting Group and the Cold Weather Group.

Also, I wouldnā€™t bother with the Mopar door sill guards; they are useless. Quadratec has a set that covers much more for 1/2 of the cost. https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/custom-fit-entry-guards-jeep-wrangler-jl-jt

Mopar door sill guards

Quadratec door sill guards
Actually, the build is almost fully loaded with all options (except the LED Light group). I am not sure LED lights are worth spending $1000 on, light are lights unless I am missing something.

For some reason the Link of the build that gets created strips out many of the options.

I attached a PDF that is the actual build.

Attachments

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Actually, the build is almost fully loaded with all options (except the LED Light group). I am not sure LED lights are worth spending $1000 on, light are lights unless I am missing something.

For some reason the Link of the build that gets created strips out many of the options.

I attached a PDF that is the actual build.
Yes, that is fully loaded!

Those are very nice wheels! But wow...a $53,000 Sport!

Does it include the Sky One Touch roof? I see it on the photo but not on the options list.

Have tried loading up a Jeep in another trim? For instance, a Sahara equipped similarly is $55,170 and comes with the bigger brakes, wider tires, nicer bumpers, a nicer interior and extra sound deadening. I havenā€™t tried any other trims, but given that you are looking for a fully loaded Jeep, you have a lot of room to play.

You will find the standard halogen lights inadequate. Adding the LEDs afterwards is going to cost you a lot more. Donā€™t ask how I know...
Sponsored