Sponsored
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Chances are their reasons were multiple.

For starters, hybrid technology is tough sell. Particularly when fuel prices are low.

Worse, FCA never really articulated the benefits of eTorque. When you went to the Build and Price, FCA showed eTorque as a $1,000 option; when you clicked for more information, all you got was a short blurb in technical mumbo-jumbo. By contrast, Ford spent many years and millions of dollars actively promoting EcoBoost technology: what it is, what it does, what benefits it provides, and how durable the motors are. What did FCA do when eTorque failed to sell? They added a $500 rebate...

And then there are the always-present doubts about FCA quality and durability, and of Jeep customer service. More complexity means more problems all around. More so on a Jeep.

After liquidating the sea of JLs with eTorque sitting unsold in dealer lots, Jeep made the 2.0T available without eTorque. This made it easier to eventually pull the plug on the technology altogether.
I would agree with that. When I bought my Sahara I didn't even know it was a hybrid! I thought it was a turbo 4. It wasn't until I got the vehicle home and started poking around that I realized what I have. With that said I am happy with it.

Cmarczyk81

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician
I agree! I didn't know I had a hybrid either. But I love it!!! Torquey as hell off the line.... i was really impressed, and still am impressed with it.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Chances are their reasons were multiple.

For starters, hybrid technology is tough sell. Particularly when fuel prices are low.

After liquidating the sea of JLs with eTorque sitting unsold in dealer lots, Jeep made the 2.0T available without eTorque. This made it easier to eventually pull the plug on the technology altogether.
I think it’s hard when they call it a “hybrid” which people associate that term with high mpg....yet eTorque only adds 1 mpg

Also, they didn’t abandon it completely. Jeep puts it on every 3.6 (Auto) now for 2021

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
FCA never made a case for why we should get the eTorque motor. It wasn't more efficient, it was available on certain trims but not others, blah blah blah. Who the hell knows what they were trying to do.

Good riddance.
CAFE.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I'm personally sad to see it go, but not surprised. It is now basically the middle engine, and America doesn't do well with anything in the middle.

Do you like torque, but don't need diesel stump pulling torque? Do you like better gas mileage, but don't want to pay to get diesel gas mileage? Do you prefer not having to slow down traffic as you pull your pop-up up mountain grades at 7000 ft elevation? Do you just like a little smile on your face the many times a day you accelerate off the line with a nice boost of torque?

Well, that's foolish. Because you should either choose the simple V6 for its fewer parts to go wrong, or pony up all the way for the diesel with a lot things to go wrong. Nothing in the middle.
The 2.0 isn't the middle engine choice if you buy a Real Jeep™ . You know, the one without all those extra doors.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I think it’s hard when they call it a “hybrid” which people associate that term with high mpg....yet eTorque only adds 1 mpg

Also, they didn’t abandon it completely. Jeep puts it on every 3.6 (Auto) now for 2021
Indeed. It was ditched from the 2.0T.

Is FCA still offering eTorque on Ram pickups? The online reviews weren't all that good.

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I own 2 2.0’s with one having a different cylinder head and no BSG but rather the ESS...which sucks compared to the BSG restart speed and smooth and fast operation.

27000 onthe Alfa, 18000 on the Sahara. They’re awesome and I’ve had about 40 different vehicles in my life....all with cooling systems!!! Gasp!! That require maintenance Gasp gasp !!! Sarcasm aside. They’re solid powertrains in both vehicles. I’ve also not heard of a pattern of issues on any FB group or forum thus far.

As to eTorque, if the principle works for the Ram with a 3.6 and they still offer it in the Wrangler but with the 3.6 only now... I’d say it must do something beneficial for city mpg, which if you research, is where the benefit lies. In these days of strict fleet EPA mileage requirements, 1 mpg even...is nothing to sneeze at. Also, I happen to like the thought of an extra 70 lb ft push off the line to get going. I’m sure the still available BSG 3.6 likes the even more considerable torque it gets.

Benefits:
City mpg
Smooth restart
Fast restart
Extra torque off the line

Downside:
Extra cooling system capacity to surely flush and fill... while you’re already surely servicing the other, right? Again, the 3.6 BSG is still available for 2021.

Personally, I think it’s a 2.0 cost thing and removing the torque competition for the 3.0 pushing people to option up. The 2.0 is a stout performer getting 27 mpg for me.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Not paying as much of a CAFE fine could be considered a consumer benefit.
See, that was precisely FCA's issue with eTorque: it assumed that it could turn a regulatory issue into a profit opportunity by simply adding eTorque to the options list. But the vast majority of consumers failed to see the benefit for them, and the motor flopped.

Again, Ford showed how it is done with EcoBoost.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
See, that was precisely FCA's issue with eTorque: it assumed that it could turn a regulatory issue into a profit opportunity by simply adding eTorque to the options list. But the vast majority of consumers failed to see the benefit for them, and the motor flopped.

Again, Ford showed how it is done with EcoBoost.
I think they just realized that people will actually pay more for the 3.6, and decided that it was more beneficial to add eTorque to something that has a higher sales cost.

There's a reason FCA chose to remove eTorque from the Sport & Rubicon first... my guess is that the Sahara sells the most volume and will therefore have a greater impact on CAFE. Profit percentage on a Sahara may be higher than other trim levels as well. Obviously this is all speculation, but after viewing the annual eTorque shuffle this looks to just be about finding the right balance between production cost, sell price, and CAFE fines.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase

It's actually referred to as a "mild hybrid", so as to not confuse it with a full hybrid. It's just a matter of time, before all vehicles on the road will be mild hybrids, if not full electric. My thoughts are that Jeep pulled back with it on the wrangler, because of gathered feedback from their customer base. Budget minded Sport buyers would rather led or uconnect upgrades for the added cost, rather than the more behind-the-scenes benefits of etorque. Rubicon buyers are afraid of anything not directly beneficial, getting them stranded in the middle of nowhere.
Sponsored