Sponsored

2021 Wrangler Dates: Order Acceptance and Start of Production

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I would be guessing if I gave you an answer to that one. The only reference would be that when they have done this with other models (most recently the 2020 Gladiator) the following years production is back to "normal". (which would mean a July/August switch to the 2023 model)
Maybe I am remembering this incorrectly? Was the 2019 JL model year a very short production?
Sponsored

kglassic

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.criswellchryslerjeepdodge.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Occupation
Jeep Sales Manager
Maybe I am remembering this incorrectly? Was the 2019 JL model year a very short production?
Yes, it was a short cycle due to the introduction of the new JL midway through the 2018 build cycle. The 2018 Wrangler JK/JL was built for almost 18 months.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I would be guessing if I gave you an answer to that one. The only reference would be that when they have done this with other models (most recently the 2020 Gladiator) the following years production is back to "normal". (which would mean a July/August switch to the 2023 model)
That would mean the 2022 model year would be super short?

kglassic

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.criswellchryslerjeepdodge.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Occupation
Jeep Sales Manager
Those are pretty specific dates. Was this timeline from your regional rep? Thanks.
The dates we're provided are always specific for every assembly plant for all the models built (Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge and RAM) and we typically have that information early in the year. With the new Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer coming on line soon we currently have 17 final assembly plants and we have the 2021 build out dates as well as the 2022 launch dates (that information has been available and unchanged since March this year).

The most important piece of information that comes from those Wrangler dates is that there wil be no significant change between the 2021/2022 model. When there are big changes the retooling takes significantly longer than 2 days.

N3mesis

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger, Wrangler on Order
The December timeline makes sense due to the chip shortage. Auto manufacturers know they aren't going to be able to sell as many vehicles this year as they planned. So they are prioritizing the models that are moving quickly with higher margins like trucks/suvs and holding production down on models that traditionally move slower which we've all seen. This allows for them to keep cash flow high as manufacturing is all about capital, while, generating as much revenue/profit as possible. Thus, executing any production plan that keeps the supply chain as stable as possible until the chip shortage is alleviated (Q3? Q4? who knows?) would be vital to generating the revenue/profits the auto manufacturers are chasing. Changing model years with the slightest revisions can/does cause disruption as the slightest change in a single part can cause quality assurance issues and slow production. I don't think any one is looking to slow production unless absolutely necessary (end of supplier contracts type stuff which can't be helped). Suppliers, in general, don't like to continue to make parts after a contract has ended because they've already replaced that part on their line with something else that they do have a contract for and to run it would be overtime which no one wants to pay unless required by contract.

Anyhow, if you need a vehicle you should buy one - if you can wait then wait, impatiently, :)

Sponsored

wantingtobuyonetouch

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018-2020 Wrangler w One Touch Roof
Have you received your VIN yet from the dealer you ordered through? I ordered on July 2nd and got mine the next day.
I got it a few days later when I emailed my dealer, old post.

Sponsored

MikeQuad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willies Unlimited
I had to go to Jeep Chat and ask them. Have your dealer address ready when you do.
Just came across this forum- I ordered a custom Willies back on May 22, still no sign. Dealer has yet to provide VIN or VON. I am being told that manual transmission is the reason for the delay. Anyone else hearing this? My feeling is they they may have accepted the car and resold it mot more $$

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe (wife's)
Just came across this forum- I ordered a custom Willies back on May 22, still no sign. Dealer has yet to provide VIN or VON. I am being told that manual transmission is the reason for the delay. Anyone else hearing this? My feeling is they they may have accepted the car and resold it mot more $$
Something is up if you haven't gotten a VIN yet. Did you put any sort of deposit down?

The dealer isn't being honest. If the dealer actually submitted your order a VIN should be available within 24-48hrs, even if there are parts constraints that would delay your build. There are remaining unfilled orders from May still, but they still have VINs.

Manual Transmissions did cause delays a couple years ago when there was a recall and the parts to fix the recall were in short supply, but as of now I don't believe Manual Transmissions are causing any delays.

Go to the first post in the first linked thread below. It has a very detailed explanation of the custom order process. That should give you the info you need before talking to the dealer.

When you ordered your Willies did the dealer give you a copy of the Priced Order Confirmation? That will have your vehicle order number (VON). If your dealer isn't giving a VIN, with your VON you should be able to get your VIN from Jeep Chat, linked in the thread below. Once you have your VIN you can enter it in the tracker tool in the thread at the second link. The tracker will tell you if a build sheet and window sticker has been created; the details of those are explained in the first link.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...er-build-tracking-and-delivery-process.54344/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...sticker-and-build-sheet-order-tracking.12503/

MikeQuad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willies Unlimited
Something is up if you haven't gotten a VIN yet. Did you put any sort of deposit down?

The dealer isn't being honest. If the dealer actually submitted your order a VIN should be available within 24-48hrs, even if there are parts constraints that would delay your build. There are remaining unfilled orders from May still, but they still have VINs.

Manual Transmissions did cause delays a couple years ago when there was a recall and the parts to fix the recall were in short supply, but as of now I don't believe Manual Transmissions are causing any delays.

Go to the first post in the first linked thread below. It has a very detailed explanation of the custom order process. That should give you the info you need before talking to the dealer.

When you ordered your Willies did the dealer give you a copy of the Priced Order Confirmation? That will have your vehicle order number (VON). If your dealer isn't giving a VIN, with your VON you should be able to get your VIN from Jeep Chat, linked in the thread below. Once you have your VIN you can enter it in the tracker tool in the thread at the second link. The tracker will tell you if a build sheet and window sticker has been created; the details of those are explained in the first link.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...er-build-tracking-and-delivery-process.54344/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...sticker-and-build-sheet-order-tracking.12503/
Thank you! After pressing further, the dealer finally gave me the VIN and VON. No money down on this, do I am close to walking away and starting over with a 2022 with anther dealer. My feeling is they they ordered back in May, sold the vehicle and ordered another. Hoping the VIN and VON will give me some background on the order process

AVGeek99

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Sahara 4xe (wife's)
Thank you! After pressing further, the dealer finally gave me the VIN and VON. No money down on this, do I am close to walking away and starting over with a 2022 with anther dealer. My feeling is they they ordered back in May, sold the vehicle and ordered another. Hoping the VIN and VON will give me some background on the order process
You should get on Jeep chat (link is in the "build tracking and delivery process" thread I linked in my original response) and ask them when your VON was entered into the system and get current status. That should tell you whether or not your dealer sold your original order to someone else.

The first post in the build tracking and delivery thread will answer most of the questions you have on the process.

At least you didn't put any deposit down, but it still sucks that it's 4 months later and sound like your near the beginning of the process. You should also add your VIN to the build sheet and order tracking tool in the second link in my previous response. Who knows, maybe your Jeep is close to being ready.
Sponsored