2021 Wrangler Dates: Order Acceptance and Start of Production

viper88

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T
I would be guessing if I gave you an answer to that one. The only reference would be that when they have done this with other models (most recently the 2020 Gladiator) the following years production is back to "normal". (which would mean a July/August switch to the 2023 model)
Maybe I am remembering this incorrectly? Was the 2019 JL model year a very short production?

Advertisement

kglassic

First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Website
www.criswellchryslerjeepdodge.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Occupation
Jeep Sales Manager
Maybe I am remembering this incorrectly? Was the 2019 JL model year a very short production?
Yes, it was a short cycle due to the introduction of the new JL midway through the 2018 build cycle. The 2018 Wrangler JK/JL was built for almost 18 months.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T
I would be guessing if I gave you an answer to that one. The only reference would be that when they have done this with other models (most recently the 2020 Gladiator) the following years production is back to "normal". (which would mean a July/August switch to the 2023 model)
That would mean the 2022 model year would be super short?

kglassic

First Name
Kevin
Reaction score
Website
www.criswellchryslerjeepdodge.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Occupation
Jeep Sales Manager
Those are pretty specific dates. Was this timeline from your regional rep? Thanks.
The dates we're provided are always specific for every assembly plant for all the models built (Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge and RAM) and we typically have that information early in the year. With the new Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer coming on line soon we currently have 17 final assembly plants and we have the 2021 build out dates as well as the 2022 launch dates (that information has been available and unchanged since March this year).

The most important piece of information that comes from those Wrangler dates is that there wil be no significant change between the 2021/2022 model. When there are big changes the retooling takes significantly longer than 2 days.

N3mesis

First Name
B
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger, Wrangler on Order
The December timeline makes sense due to the chip shortage. Auto manufacturers know they aren't going to be able to sell as many vehicles this year as they planned. So they are prioritizing the models that are moving quickly with higher margins like trucks/suvs and holding production down on models that traditionally move slower which we've all seen. This allows for them to keep cash flow high as manufacturing is all about capital, while, generating as much revenue/profit as possible. Thus, executing any production plan that keeps the supply chain as stable as possible until the chip shortage is alleviated (Q3? Q4? who knows?) would be vital to generating the revenue/profits the auto manufacturers are chasing. Changing model years with the slightest revisions can/does cause disruption as the slightest change in a single part can cause quality assurance issues and slow production. I don't think any one is looking to slow production unless absolutely necessary (end of supplier contracts type stuff which can't be helped). Suppliers, in general, don't like to continue to make parts after a contract has ended because they've already replaced that part on their line with something else that they do have a contract for and to run it would be overtime which no one wants to pay unless required by contract.

Anyhow, if you need a vehicle you should buy one - if you can wait then wait, impatiently, :)

wantingtobuyonetouch

First Name
B
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018-2020 Wrangler w One Touch Roof
When should I receive a VIN after placing an order?

wantingtobuyonetouch

First Name
B
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018-2020 Wrangler w One Touch Roof
Have you received your VIN yet from the dealer you ordered through? I ordered on July 2nd and got mine the next day.
I got it a few days later when I emailed my dealer, old post.

Advertisement

TopLift Pros

Advertisement