Sponsored

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
This does not make sense, 3.6 E Torque 19 CITY / 22 HWY and the 3.6 17 CITY/25, so you get 2 more miles city and 3 mile less HWY, for 1500 dollars more,give me a break!!!!!!!
Maybe they will drop the E Torque on the 3.6 next year like they did with it on the 4.

Sponsored

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
This does not make sense, 3.6 E Torque 19 CITY / 22 HWY and the 3.6 17 CITY/25, so you get 2 more miles city and 3 mile less HWY, for 1500 dollars more,give me a break!!!!!!!
They really pushing the Automatic Drivers towards the Turbo 4 aren't they?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed several things:
  1. Sarge Green is still available in 2021, despite reports that it’s going away. A fellow member confirmed yesterday on another thread that he was allowed to order a 2021 in Sarge Green.
  2. Sarge Green is now an extra cost color (+$245). Every color is now $245 extra, with the exception of white.
  3. FCA has adjusted some prices: the automatic is now only a $1,500 option (-$500) when mated to the V6 eTorque, which is another $1,500 option (+$500). The combined cost of +$3,000 is the same as it was before: $2,000 for the automatic and $1,000 for the V6 eTorque.
  4. There are several glitches on the 2021 configurator. I selected a Sahara, Sarge Green, forward camera, color matched hardtop, headliners, proximity locks, Saddle leather seats, Max Tow Group, Cold Weather Group, Safety Group, the 8.4” and Alpine Sound Group. When I select automatic & V6, the exterior color switches back to Silver and Cold Weather Group unchecks. You have to go back to the top and force the color back to Sarge Green and re-select Cold Weather Group. When you check forward camera, it automatically adds LED Group (which is fine) and 8.4” and Alpine Sound (?).
  5. FCA likely won’t fix these glitches for six months; that’s how long it took to fix the glitches on the 2020 configurator. Which speaks volumes about their attention to detail.
  6. Noticed that Selec-Trac is +$100; leather seats with Sahara logo are +$100, LEDs are +$250, Safety Group is -$100
  7. The grand total comes to $56,250. Which is about +$500 from 2020 if I exclude the forward camera ($595), which wasn’t available before.
FCA’s non-stop fidgeting with the configurator, availability of options and prices might be worth an article in the academic journal of dysfunctional psychology!

Last edited:

Artdnj

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUHR just stolen
Is the 3.6 worth the extra cabbage over the 2.0 with Auto?

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Is the 3.6 worth the extra cabbage over the 2.0 with Auto?
Advantages of the 3.6:
1. Established Reliability and considered the FCA workhorse for not just the Wrangler but other vehicles also. When taken good care of, some have lasted 300k plus miles.

2. Does not require Premium at all. Regular 87 Octane is perfectly fine. Putting Premium in the 3.6 will not give you any extra reliability.

3. Parts very commonly available as the engine has been around for almost a decade now.

4. The deep V6 engine sound. It is at it's most noticeable when your top or doors are off (or folded). You just cannot get that in a Turbo 4. My favourite is the sound of a V8 but that may not be available for a while in a Jeep.

Disadvantages of the 3.6:
1. If you need your 2021 Wrangler with a Pentastar and Automatic Transmission, you must choose the eTorque (a 48 Volt BSG basically). It is a $3000 adder versus a Pentastar with a Manual and $1500 versus a Turbo with an Automatic! The eTorque adds complexity but is backed with a very strong warranty. IMHO it is not the complexity of the eTorque that will turn buyers off; it is the $3000 adder!

2. Gas Mileage is slightly worse than the 2.0 Turbo.

Advantages of the 2.0 Turbo:

1. By all means is a more fun motor to drive.

2. Although relatively young in the market, the 2.0 Drivers have not reported any major issues. Nor have there been any recalls.

3. If you want an Automatic Transmission, it is a $1500 adder ($3k for the Pentastar like I mentioned before).

Disadvantages of the 2.0 Turbo:

1. Unknown long term reliability due to age. Time may tell if it is as good as the Pentastar. However, there have been no major recalls or complaints. So that is a step in the right direction.

2. It can run fine on Regular 87 Octane. But for optimal performance and turbo reliability it is recommended to use Premium (at least I recommend premium). At times, Premium can cost $1 extra per Gallon.

3. Due to the Turbocharger, the 2.0 is a more complicated engine versus the 3.6 Pentastar (with 6MT) as the latter is Naturally Aspirated.

4. No Manual Transmission option.

I have a 3.6 in my JLUR and love it as it is a 2020 (3.6 with 8 Speed and no eTorque). 2020 was the last model year before FCA required an eTorque on a 3.6 with Automatic. But for my next Jeep, I may choose the 2.0 Turbo.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
You left out refinement. The V6 is buttery smooth, and works perfectly with the 8-speed automatic. People complain of some coarseness of the 2.0T and abruptness when the automatic shifts.

The turbo is great if you live at elevation, like in Colorado, where a naturally aspirated motor will feel lethargic.

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You left out refinement. The V6 is buttery smooth, and works perfectly with the 8-speed automatic. People complain of some coarseness of the 2.0T and abruptness when the automatic shifts.

The turbo is great if you live at elevation, like in Colorado, where a naturally aspirated motor will feel lethargic.
True! I experienced something similar when I rented a Turbo 4 twice last year. It does jerk a little but not enough to turn me off.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I really wonder why they have ESS on the Diesel, with how little fuel it uses on idle.
I asked the same Q to my selling dealer. Their reply was that the presence of ESS tech on modern vehicles is a function of fuel consumption and mitigation of exhaust emissions. The latter is a material concern on any diesel engine.