MoparMike

MoparMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler/Gladiator coming soon
Best addition: automatic 4WD for those who wanted it. I rather not have it but know a lot of people will pay for it. Also Mopar Grab Handles for $40 on 2 door ($80 on 4 door) is not bad either.

Worst: I have to pay $245 for every colour besides white. Seriously?? Guess we will be seeing a lot of White JLs soon.
Yeah, $245 for every color seems unreasonable.
Sponsored

niJL

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
It looks like lots of changes in how each option is priced. Some higher, some lower. I spec'ed a 2021 the same way my 2019 JLUR came and it was exactly $200 more.

Increased prices:
+$650 - Base Price of JLUR
+$200 - Painted Fender Flares
+$50 - Remote Proximity Keyless Entry
+$200 - Body Colored Hardtop
+$300 - 8.4" Radio Group
+$300 - LED Lighting Group

Decrease prices:
-$1000 - 2.0 Turbo
-$500 - 8-Speed Transmission

No change in price:
- Hardtop Headliner
- Safety Group
- Trailer Tow
-Cold Weather Group

Jeep.com Build Summary:
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 WRANGLER BUILD AND PRICE IS UP!!! 1598593787079

My 2019 JLUR Window Sticker:
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 WRANGLER BUILD AND PRICE IS UP!!! 1598593812296

Overall it looks like the luxuries either went up or stayed the same, but a 2.0 build without a bunch of options will be cheaper now. In the end not much of a price increase, but I do hope they offer a retrofit for the front camera as that was one thing I really wanted from the gladiator when I bought my Jeep.

Edit: Just for fun I tried to hit a new high score lol

$70,575 for a fully loaded 2021 JLUR... Something tells me this won't be the most expensive 2021 JL you will be able to buy for this MY.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 WRANGLER BUILD AND PRICE IS UP!!! 1598594965782

Last edited:

GerJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
It looks like lots of changes in how each option is priced. Some higher, some lower. I spec'ed a 2021 the same way my 2019 JLUR came and it was exactly $200 more.

Increased prices:
+$650 - Base Price of JLUR
+$200 - Painted Fender Flares
+$50 - Remote Proximity Keyless Entry
+$200 - Body Colored Hardtop
+$300 - 8.4" Radio Group
+$300 - LED Lighting Group

Decrease prices:
-$1000 - 2.0 Turbo
-$500 - 8-Speed Transmission

No change in price:
- Hardtop Headliner
- Safety Group
- Trailer Tow
-Cold Weather Group

Jeep.com Build Summary:

My 2019 JLUR Window Sticker:

Overall it looks like the luxuries either went up or stayed the same, but a 2.0 build without a bunch of options will be cheaper now. In the end not much of a price increase, but I do hope they offer a retrofit for the front camera as that was one thing I really wanted from the gladiator when I bought my Jeep.

Edit: Just for fun I tried to hit a new high score lol

$70,575 for a fully loaded 2021 JLUR... Something tells me this won't be the most expensive 2021 JL you will be able to buy for this MY.

I am sure not having the etorque on the 2021 2.0 helps drop the price by $1250 to $1500 or so.

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
Anyone know the mechanical differences of the 4:1 Rock-Trac® Heavy-Duty Full-Time 4WD System from the current part time system? Im just wondering if its worth getting or not, ive heard the current system is much stronger but curious what the actual differences are.

Jeep75th

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler 75th Anniversary
I like snazzberry, it’s something a little different for the wrangler. I don’t think there has been a dark red for the wrangler since 2013s deep cherry red.

Sponsored

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
Anyone know the mechanical differences of the 4:1 Rock-Trac® Heavy-Duty Full-Time 4WD System from the current part time system? Im just wondering if its worth getting or not, ive heard the current system is much stronger but curious what the actual differences are.
It is basically an automatic 4WD like how they offer in the Sahara. May not help off road much but will help more for on road. It should be popular for those wanting to never touch that lever. Just leave it in 4WD auto and let it kick in whenever it needs to on road due to Snow or Rain or any other low traction event.

traditional off roaders prefer to put it in 4 Hi manually so I doubt those who are getting a rubi for wheeling will opt for it. I believe that vast majority of Rubicon owners don’t really go for hardcore off roading (myself included).

jrob529

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Best addition: automatic 4WD for those who wanted it. I rather not have it but know a lot of people will pay for it. Also Mopar Grab Handles for $40 on 2 door ($80 on 4 door) is not bad either.

Worst: I have to pay $245 for every colour besides white. Seriously?? Guess we will be seeing a lot of White JLs soon.
I was wondering what's the advantage of automatic 4WD? Don't you get worse gas mileage while utilizing it since you're in 4WD all the time? Or is the MPG comparable to the current system? I guess I don't see the difficulty in putting it into 4WD when necessary.

Also, I $245 upcharge for colors is ridiculous and unfortunately I will pay it.

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
I was wondering what's the advantage of automatic 4WD? Don't you get worse gas mileage while utilizing it since you're in 4WD all the time? Or is the MPG comparable to the current system? I guess I don't see the difficulty in putting it into 4WD when necessary.

Automatic 4WD: it’s a Millenial thing lmao! jk...i am a millenial but still wont would prefer to put it in 4WD myself. But pretty sure a lot of people will get that option

TCS1666

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 GMC Sierra Denali - 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 (ordered) - 2017 GMC Acadia Denali (sold)

It would not be in 4WD "all the time". It has a clutch system in the T-case which engages when wheel slippage is detected putting power to the front axles. Remaining in RWD when no slippage is detected. Good system if you drive in snow on-road, not really meant for off-road conditions.

jrob529

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
It would not be in 4WD "all the time". It has a clutch system in the T-case which engages when wheel slippage is detected putting power to the front axles. Remaining in RWD when no slippage is detected. Good system if you drive in snow on-road, not really meant for off-road conditions.
That makes sense although I still prefer the current system especially since it's cheaper.

Sponsored

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That makes sense although I still prefer the current system especially since it's cheaper.
I don't prefer it because I fear that the clutch system adds complexity to the transfer case and create issues for me down the road. I like keeping my vehicles for as long as I possibly can.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase

Automatic 4WD: it’s a Millenial thing lmao! jk...i am a millenial but still wont would prefer to put it in 4WD myself. But pretty sure a lot of people will get that option
I have Selec-Trac and I’m far from being a “Millennial.”

You need to live in an area where snow is part of life to appreciate its benefits. When you have to travel 100+ miles in conditions that switch from bare roads, to snow covered, to slush, back to bare, then to snow, etc., engaging and disengaging 4WD gets old pretty quickly.

Selec-Trac allows you to maintain a steady pace, safely, for long distances, regardless of road conditions.

Selec-Trac gives you four modes: 2WD, 4A (Auto), 4H and 4L. The last two are Part-Time only.

In 2WD, the Jeep drives just like any other in RWD. In 4A, the Jeep drives in RWD until it detects slip and automatically engages 4WD. However, it has a clutch pack that allows the front and rear axles to rotate at different speeds.

4H and 4L are just like the Part-Time 4WD on any other Jeep. It locks the front and rear axles together, and it is meant to be used only in off-road conditions.

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have Selec-Trac and I’m far from being a “Millennial.”

You need to live in an area where snow is part of life to appreciate its benefits. When you have to travel 100+ miles in conditions that switch from bare roads, to snow covered, to slush, back to bare, then to snow, etc., engaging and disengaging 4WD gets old pretty quickly.

Selec-Trac allows you to maintain a steady pace, safely, for long distances, regardless of road conditions.
True. I live in the NYC Area (Long Island to be exact). We do get snow in the form of maybe one or two blizzards a year with other storms dumping 3 inches or under. For us the automatic 4WD may not be too beneficial. If I was living in Upstate or New England or Toronto it is a different story.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
True. I live in the NYC Area (Long Island to be exact). We do get snow in the form of maybe one or two blizzards a year with other storms dumping 3 inches or under. For us the automatic 4WD may not be too beneficial. If I was living in Upstate or New England or Toronto it is a different story.
Yes. AND, living in a wide, open space region makes a big difference, too.

Selec-Trac doesn’t seem that necessary if you drive 10 miles in any direction. But distances can get long in this part of the country. Add snow, and that’s a lot of engaging and disengaging 4WD when you go visit grandma.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
In 4A, the Jeep drives in RWD until it detects slip and automatically engages 4WD. However, it has a clutch pack that allows the front and rear axles to rotate at different speeds.
4-Auto doesn’t mean it’s in 2WD (0/100, F/R) until slippage occurs. The front axle still gets power too.

Just like the clutch packs in the rear axle need slippage to transfer power left/right, the transfer case needs slippage to transfer power front/back.

In order for the transfer case to have clutch slippage, the clutches need to actually slip. That means it’s driving the front wheels to know when there is a change in speed between the front/rear axles. It will then redistribute power accordingly.
Sponsored