Sponsored

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
I believe the system is even more simplistic than you might be imagining, this isn't like a tesla where there are motors at every wheel, there's nothing different about the brakes. The internals of the transmission are probably mostly similar to the 850RE

Basically the difference is the torque converter is replaced with a large motor-generator. Besides battery and cooling that's about it. When running in electric or hybrid mode, that motor is spinning the input shaft of the transmission during acceleration (either by itself or in conjunction with the gas engine), during deceleration that engine is being spun and works like a generator to restore some power (regenerative "braking").
teslasfor sale right now have up to two motors
Sponsored

Lapis

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Ocean Blue
So you are saying that the regenerative brakes don't have anything at the wheel? Are they more like engine braking with a generator in the transmission?
That's my understanding. I guess technically it'd be motor-braking because the electric motor (at the front of the transmission) is slowing down the vehicle and storing the energy produced into the battery.

This picture shows the differences in blue, the rear axle is simply the gladiator Max Tow because of the increased GVWR, brakes should be the same.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Wrangler 4XE Launch Brochure reveals unique wheels and gauge cluster 1600895021704

Lil Red

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
By the definition of "close minded" how does me saying, it's "nearly useless off-road" play into close minded ? It does not.
It was indicated in the video posted on this thread, that they got significant use from the electrical power on the trails. Yet you are saying it is "nearly useless". Sounds close minded to me.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
It was indicated in the video posted on this thread, that they got significant use from the electrical power on the trails. Yet you are saying it is "nearly useless". Sounds close minded to me.
What a salesman says and reality aren't always the same. I keep an open mind until a product has been proven. On Post #23 and 3.58 minutes into the video the engineer says, We have not gotten EPA certification as to all electric range, looking like 25 miles. Nothing about off-road verse payment. I see this as "nearly useless off road". The added expense, complexity and weight makes it "nearly useless off road" based on 50 + years wheeling ICE 4x's. My electric MTB on the other hand has no other power source other than my old legs and is well worth having IMHO

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
What a salesman says and reality aren't always the same. I keep an open mind until a product has been proven. On Post #23 and 3.58 minutes into the video the engineer says, We have not gotten EPA certification as to all electric range, looking like 25 miles. Nothing about off-road verse payment. I see this as "nearly useless off road". The added expense, complexity and weight makes it "nearly useless off road" based on 50 + years wheeling ICE 4x's. My electric MTB on the other hand has no other power source other than my old legs and is well worth having IMHO
I most definitely do not have 50+ years of wheeling experience. I would have thought that having large amount of torque available instantaneously would be beneficial in many off-road situations. Based on your experience do you feel that would not be the case?

Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I most definitely do not have 50+ years of wheeling experience. I would have thought that having large amount of torque available instantaneously would be beneficial in many off-road situations. Based on your experience do you feel that would not be the case?
Depends on the traction.

Lil Red

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Looks like you just like to argue.

Luiscasta25

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio
Okay, where the price will be announced?

TheMAnderson

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L (sold), 2022 Tundra Limited Hybrid

Sponsored

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
That's gonna change, at least a bit... Jeep is installing solar-powered charging stations on the Rubicon and in Moab as part of the marketing effort around this.

https://jalopnik.com/jeep-is-installing-solar-chargers-off-road-in-rubicon-a-1844957787
Not to mention it has an onboard 2 liter turbo-powered generator and simple controls to manage charge or usage of the battery energy.

Drive to the trail in ICE mode and arrive with a fully charged battery. Then switch into silent torque monster mode when you hit the trail. It sounds great. At least in theory hehe.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
In theory the 4XE has a lot of potential...but a lot of weight also. We shall soon know a lot more. This thing could be a home run or a complete error. Electric vehicles are the future regardless of how we feel about them.

JandS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe | Exige S | R wagon | V Wagon | MB S65
In theory the 4XE has a lot of potential...but a lot of weight also. We shall soon know a lot more. This thing could be a home run or a complete error. Electric vehicles are the future regardless of how we feel about them.
I think they fact that they're using a "mostly proven" off the shelf transmission for the hybrid system strongly suggests that this will be executed well

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Drive to the trail in ICE mode and arrive with a fully charged battery. Then switch into silent torque monster mode when you hit the trail. It sounds great. At least in theory hehe.
Plus if your commute is less than 25 miles and you can plug it in at night, you'll very rarely need to buy gas! That is pretty darn nice.

If this was available when I bought my Jeep, I probably would have gone for it.

Obispo325

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Chevy Tahoe and hopefully a Bright White JLUR
They posted on jeep.com that it’ll be available in December. So when will the order banks open up for it?
Sponsored