Sponsored

2021 Willy's Sport EcoDiesel - Technology Bad?

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
I know. When I'm split on something I just like to hear opinions especially with people with experience owning the vehicles.
I hear ya. I waited until I was in a position to get everything I wanted.

I had a 2012 JK sport with no options and did the full aftermarket upgrades. It could out wheel a stock Rubicon when I was done but it took 4 years to get it to that point.

My new one has minor upgrades (skid plates, winch, radios, and a few other minor bits) and is there less than 2 months after I took it home.

It's hard to pick which I like better. Except for the diesel. That makes it easy to choose.
Sponsored

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
I hear ya. I waited until I was in a position to get everything I wanted.

I had a 2012 JK sport with no options and did the full aftermarket upgrades. It could out wheel a stock Rubicon when I was done but it took 4 years to get it to that point.

My new one has minor upgrades (skid plates, winch, radios, and a few other minor bits) and is there less than 2 months after I took it home.

It's hard to pick which I like better. Except for the diesel. That makes it easy to choose.
I can't wait unfortunately. I need a vehicle asap.. How would Willys perform Off-roading? It seems like it has a lot of upgrades. And I think the limited slip rear would actually have some advantages over an open diff with lockers in some scenarios.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
I can't wait unfortunately. I need a vehicle asap.. How would Willys perform Off-roading? It seems like it has a lot of upgrades. And I think the limited slip rear would actually have some advantages over an open diff with lockers in some scenarios.
The Willys would do great for about 90% of what the Rubicon could do. The rest you can do with a winch and a tow strap for the most part.

The swaybar disconnect is handy but not necessary. The lockers are useful on more significant obstacles. The 4:1 transfer case makes a difference on the rocks. Everything else is fluff.

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
The Willys would do great for about 90% of what the Rubicon could do. The rest you can do with a winch and a tow strap for the most part.

The swaybar disconnect is handy but not necessary. The lockers are useful on more significant obstacles. The 4:1 transfer case makes a difference on the rocks. Everything else is fluff.
Nice. Yeah I'm not getting into extreme rock crawling but I will be adventure Off-roading, discovering new places and traveling way off the beaten path and camping out there. Definitely don't want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere. Part of the reason why I'm analyzing this as hard as I am.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Nice. Yeah I'm not getting into extreme rock crawling but I will be adventure Off-roading, discovering new places and traveling way off the beaten path and camping out there. Definitely don't want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere. Part of the reason why I'm analyzing this as hard as I am.
I do a lot of rocks on single day trail runs. So the Rubicon makes sense.

For you, the Rubicon is a "nice to have" but not as necessary. A winch is more important.

Sponsored

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
I do a lot of rocks on single day trail runs. So the Rubicon makes sense.

For you, the Rubicon is a "nice to have" but not as necessary. A winch is more important.
There's definitely some really rocky roads out there going up hills that can be sort of classified as rock crawling that I will be doing. I'm just not going to be driving over monster boulders the size of a car and skidding down them on my rock rails type of rock crawling.

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I'm wondering since the Diesel 3.0 package comes with the upgraded Rubicon coil springs and shocks if you can throw 35s on stock like you can with the Rubicon?
The Willys still has Sport fenders in all engine choices compared to the higher clearance fenders on the Rubicon, so you still might get some rubbing with 35s.

If you can't wait, you're likely going to be stuck with the few options you're dealer has in stock, and you may be paying full MSRP for it. It's a very unfortunate time to NEED a car. The whole auto market is insane right now.

OP
OP
Tredsdert

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
Personally, it's only my wife and I, the kids are all grown up and out of the house, but we do have 5 dogs, 2 small, 1 medium, 2 large.
Transportation wise, the 4 door is the obvious choice for me.
I will be doing a fair amount of aftermarket installs, but nothing too crazy for the first couple of years.
We tend to drive A LOT, 23,000 miles on my wife's Subaru Forester Sport in just one year. Shoot, I did 600 miles in one day because I was bored and wanted to explore. Where we live in Texas, the back roads are all 45mph minimum, so lots of driving at a decent speed, EcoDiesel is definitely our best option.

For you, definitely some questions you should ask yourself...
Do you drive a lot?
Long Distances?
At speed, or city?
Does the county or state you live in require emissions testing for diesels?
Will you change your own oil and engine liquids?
Do you off-road often?
Dirt Roads or Crawl?
You have a family or single?
Day trips or overnighting?

Realistically speaking, if you don't need a 4-door, and won't change your own oil/liquids, I would get the 2-door Rubicon. Much more capable, front and rear lockers, and let's be honest, oil changes under $100. Also, diesels have a lot of other things you need to keep a close watch on, mainly water. And if your not going to do your own upkeep, I'd rather have the Rubi. Plus the 3.6 liter is tried and true.

Really it's all about what you're going to do with it, both are amazing options!

If I was single, I would go for the 2-dr Rubi, but these damn dogs whine when we leave them home. 🤣

zdr

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon V6 6-Speed Manual
JeepViking13,

I actually don't own a jeep yet. I will however be ordering mine this fall. I'm waiting to see if the 2022 model year has any better options than the 2021 model year. If you time it correctly, it can be possible to order either model year, but it also is reliant of some level of chance too. There's a decent chance I'll get stuck only being able to purchase a 2022, and then will pray you can still get a EcoDiesel on it with the Willys Sport trim.

More to your question, I've done an extensive amount of research into this trim and engine.
The major reasons to get a...

EcoDiesel:
Can run 37's without need for a regearing.
10,000 mi oil changes.
Engine runs hotter and can handle more extreme temperatures without loss of power, ie. You won't see any overheating in Moab on the hottest of days.
Good if most of your driving is highway. (For me 90% of my driving is highway).
Throatier exhaust sound.
If you live in Texas or other like-minded states, you won't ever have to do an emissions test, safety check only.
3:73 gearing.
It will idle up most obstacles, so take your foot off that pedal and let that Diesel shine!
Anti-slip differential.
*I've seen upwards of 33 mpg, but overall mileage unlike any Wrangler short of the 4xe.

Willys Sport:
Dumbed down on the technology, in the cabin at least.
Hand crank windows are super inexpensive to replace when they eventually break down. $25 for a manual window assembly (you can use generic parts) verses close to $1000 for the whole automatic window assembly including motor.
I'm sure the door weighs less too.
You get Rubicon Suspension, which means it's a little taller. Honestly this is the biggest reason to buy a Willys Sport! You can get an unlimited Sport with an EcoDiesel and all the same features and save about $700, but Rubicon Suspension would put you up another $2000, so you're technically saving money. It's a $45,000 vehicle regardless, but at least this way you can wait a year or two before you swap out the suspension for a 4" lift and 37" tires.
A/T tires standard!
Manual locks on all doors.
Anti-slip rear differential, the next best thing to lockers. There's actually a way to trick the ECU and turn this into a locking differential purely through wiring, but that's for a different thread.

Willys:
Honestly the only reason I can think of buying this trim is because you're either too lazy or incapable of installing your own LED lights.
Also you get a touch screen which you can't turn off and will blind you in the middle of the dark desert.
Oh, when your window motor goes, you can give bob the mechanic $800 to replace that.
You still get Rubicon Suspension, but you get a bunch a technology you don't need.
Honestly if you're going to buy this trim, just pay the extra $5,000 and get a Rubicon with front and rear lockers.

Edit - *
I get it but I enjoy driving with my windows down quite a bit. So much that it would be very annoying to manually roll down all 4 windows. I've replaced 3 actuators before so hopefully it's not too difficult if one breaks.

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

I get it but I enjoy driving with my windows down quite a bit. So much that it would be very annoying to manually roll down all 4 windows. I've replaced 3 actuators before so hopefully it's not too difficult if one breaks.
I like your thinking. Did a similar purchase for many of the same reasons. In my opinion the Willy's wheels are some of the best looking of all the trims, with standard muds. My package included that limited slip diff which I absolutely love. Very interested in hearing more about enabling it to full lock. I got the unlimited sport diesel Altitude Edition. If it is an option, cannot recommend enough that led light package. And the standard 5 inch radio found in a lot of Willy's is horrible if you can, strongly recommend the 8.5 radio for so many reasons. One of which might interest you you could always add a front oem camera to that radio setup only. It's worth every penny should just be standard on every Wrangler regardless of trim. The diesel does run hot I could vouch for that being in one of the hottest climates in the United States. Wish I had the European version that comes standard with functionable hood scoops on the diesel. Similar to that found on the 392. Keep us posted when your Jeep arrives.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tredsdert

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
I like your thinking. Did a similar purchase for many of the same reasons. In my opinion the Willy's wheels are some of the best looking of all the trims, with standard muds. My package included that limited slip diff which I absolutely love. Very interested in hearing more about enabling it to full lock. I got the unlimited sport diesel Altitude Edition. If it is an option, cannot recommend enough that led light package. And the standard 5 inch radio found in a lot of Willy's is horrible if you can, strongly recommend the 8.5 radio for so many reasons. One of which might interest you you could always add a front oem camera to that radio setup only. It's worth every penny should just be standard on every Wrangler regardless of trim. The diesel does run hot I could vouch for that being in one of the hottest climates in the United States. Wish I had the European version that comes standard with functionable hood scoops on the diesel. Similar to that found on the 392. Keep us posted when your Jeep arrives.
I picked up my 2021 Wrangler Willys Sport EcoDiesel on November 27th I think 🤔.

I LOVE IT, yes the diesel does run fairly hot, but my wife's flat-4 Subaru Forester runs equally hot, 210-220°f here in Dallas, Tx. According to the digital gauge on the instrument cluster, I've used zero DEF??? since I topped it off on the 28th. Not sure if it's just reporting it wrong. I only drive it longer distances, 20-100 miles, very little putzing around town. And if I do, I make sure to get it up to 65 for 20 miles the next day. I got stuck in the mud the other day, that was fun.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Willy's Sport EcoDiesel - Technology Bad? IMG_20211211_084548_157
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Willy's Sport EcoDiesel - Technology Bad? IMG_20211211_084548_018
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Willy's Sport EcoDiesel - Technology Bad? IMG_20211211_084548_074

I really like the JL's, they really nailed it on the features and ease of upgrades/downgrades, like removing the Front Brake Dust Shields no longer requires removing the Axel Hub, Brake Rotor and 3 bolts and the come right off. :rock: 😎
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Willy's Sport EcoDiesel - Technology Bad? IMG_20211212_105227_570

The Rear Dust Shields I'll have to trim later because the Rear Rotors sit in a groove on the dust shield to protect dirt intrusion into the emergency brake/ Axel Hub.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Willy's Sport EcoDiesel - Technology Bad? IMG_20211212_105227_593

The technology and lack there of is amazing, I'm so HAPPY I got a 2021, because the 2022's come standard with that 7" screen. I love the ability to turn off my 5 inch touch screen and the fact it's small. Not having Car Play is something I'm getting used to, but it's like having my old 2016 Jeep Patriot Sport SE again. Uconnect makes having the 5" screen completely barable. Manual windows are right up my alley! My wife is fairly short, so her seat is always far enough forward, and I'm 6'5", so reaching the window cranks on all 4 doors is easy even while driving. The misses hates the Manual locks, but I like it. Life is to much hustle and bustle, I like having to slow down and take my time locking up the vehicle.

I grew up in a time before the internet, so manual locks used to be on every car, it wasn't an inconvenience then, and it's not now either (for me). I'm also probably the only guy in our neighborhood with a rotary dial phone too, but that's neither here nor there.

I upgraded my old Patriot to H13 LED headlights, and after I sold it back in 2020, I retained the H13 LED Headlights, it looks to be the same connector and everything. I will order a new CanBUS and will upgrade my headlights within the factory assembly soon.
The Headlights are just like the ones on the Patriot used to be, reflection headlamps, so adding LED's to them makes it super bright, maybe even illegally bright. 😜 Either way an easy, great upgrade which won't cost me more than $40 and a little bit of time. Factory LED's are ~$1000. Seems crazy when I can do the same thing for under $100.

I plan on upgrading the taillights to LED at some point too, and have already picked up a RC Spare Tire Delete. I'm not going to relocate my license plate, but I will be adding a Super Bright LED Plate to the license plate bracket on the Spare Tire Delete, which I will tie into my backup lights, so I can run from the cops easier :CWL:. Joking.

Overall, loving the downplayed technological features in the Willys Sport, and that Diesel is real nice too!
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Willy's Sport EcoDiesel - Technology Bad? IMG_20211127_073711001

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Any of you guys with the Diesel have any updates on it after owning it for awhile? How's the reliability?

I planed on ordering a 2 door Rubicon. But I went to the dealership and saw a 2021 Willys. I really love the styling. Then I just found out you can order it (4 door) with a 3.0 Diesel. Such a bad ass combination IMO. I'm torn.
I have a '20 JLURD, just under 20k on it now. Two long road trips 3k for one, 2k for the other. 2.5 inch Clayton suspension and 35s. So far it has been in the dealer 6 times, to include 3 oil changes (verified correct oil). One of my visits was for the steel steering box TSB (paired with an oil change). Two visits were for a sway bar disconnect error that turned out to be a loose connection in the PDC (not fuse...faulty hardware...new PDC). One was for a failing emissions sensor.

Overall, for the first year of a new engine, I would say the JLURD is doing great...we'll see what tomorrow holds.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
For longevity and proper care of the Ecodiesel, monitoring DPF soot load, turbo temperatures and regens is critically important. I wish we had those displayed without having to get a third party monitoring tool for this information.

Deleted member 59498

@Capricorn I was trying to find the monitoring tool a forum user has here. I have JLRUD on order and was thinking of getting it once it arrives (whenever that happens).

Anyway is it stinger that is recommended by the diesel folks here?

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
@Capricorn I was trying to find the monitoring tool a forum user has here. I have JLRUD on order and was thinking of getting it once it arrives (whenever that happens).

Anyway is it stinger that is recommended by the diesel folks here?
I personally prefer the Scangauge II.
It has the necessary X-Gauges that can be configured and it displays any 4 at a time. It uses very small real estate on the dashboard, powers off in a few seconds when you shut the engine off and hence no concern of battery drain.

The only con is routing the RJ45 cable from the display monitor to the OBD2 port.

https://www.scangauge.com/x-gauge-commands/3-0l-ecodiesel/

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Willy's Sport EcoDiesel - Technology Bad? 1639883326299
Sponsored