Sponsored

2021 Willy's Sport EcoDiesel - Technology Bad?

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
I know everyone seems to be all about the Rubicon or the Sport S, but what do y'all think about the Willy's Sport?

I'm super excited to see the Willy's Sport getting a 3.0 EcoDiesel option this year! I was very annoyed it wasn't available last year, and as I'll be putting in my order in October of 2021, great timing!!

My thought has always been, LESS TECHNOLOGY = BETTER!
I like the Willy's minus all that technological mumbo-jumbo! However the LED lights can stay!

My very first small buy will be replacing whatever larger rearview mirror comes on the Wrangler, and replacing it with a tiny circular one. I'm 6'5", and it seems every vehicle I drive the rearview mirrors always end up blocking my view out the right side of the front window. My brother has a '69 Torino GT with a tiny circular mirror and that's the only car I've ever driven I didn't need to duck down just to see out the right side of the front window. I figure if my rearview mirror isn't connected to the cars computer, replacing it won't cause as many problems.
My first large purchase will be replacing the 35-75lbs doors with 7-15lbs soft doors.

I'm a Mr. Fix-It-Yourself kinda guy... Don't know if any of you have ever replaced a power window regulator, motor, but it's a lotta work and usually pretty expensive. Tryna get to those dang impossible to reach screws! The crank windows on my old '95 F-150; I could replace the whole door lock and window regulator, crank, and glass in 45 minutes or less.
Simply put, I drive my vehicles into the ground, sometimes literally. XD I want to spend less time working on my car and more time killing it on the trail!

So anyways, any thoughts on the less technological Willy's Sport EcoDiesel?

21wranglerjl1.jpeg
Sponsored

MDRubicon

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Wrangler
I ordered the base sport diesel. You are living in luxury with led headlights. The less electronics the better.
You believe LED lights will impact the longevity and reliability of a Wrangler? Normally when people refer to “too many electronics” it’s in relation to engine/computer, etc. when compared to the ole 4.0 TJ. I don’t think LEDs are going to make much of a difference.

OP - If you’re not getting 4.10 gears, which won’t come with the diesel, I agree to with the Willy Sport.

Killdozer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL sport
Led was a joke...that will be one of the first few items I put on mine and since I was changing the rock rails and wheels and tires it doesn't make sense to get anything over the sport. I think things like adaptive cruise and safety group things will have long term issues. Fca can barely wire a cigarette lighter outlet without it having issues so needless to say confidence is not high.

Russ Chung

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2005 TJ
I like the Willy's minus all that technological mumbo-jumbo! However the LED lights can stay!
less technological???

3.0L EcoDiesel:
1. turbocharger
2. ESS
3. Exhaust Gas Recirculation
4. Diesel Particulate Filter
5. Selective Catalytic Reaction
6. Diesel Emission Fluid
Each of these systems has an array of sensors which are connected to
7. Powertrain Control Module
What could possibly go wrong???

Having said that, I believe that the performance of the 3.0L EcoDiesel outweighs the complexity. I have a JLURD on order and expect to pick it up in a few weeks.

Sponsored

Pmccammon00

First Name
Philbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Ecodiesel
Occupation
Retired, live 6 months in Scottsdale, 6 months in Steamboat Springs, Co and the remaining 6 months on the road with Rubi and BoreasXT trailer.
Well, I guess I'm on the unlucky list so far. Have been waiting 25 days for repair parts for the turbocharger that threw an engine code at 7100 miles. I really, really, really want to love this engine, but this is the 2nd check engine light with dealer replacement parts required in her short life. Send good energy from the universe our way if you wouldn't mind.

Sontavaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lj - sold-cause im an idiot. 2019 blue rubi ordered and received. I need my LJ back.
Occupation
Repressor of civil rights
The JL is a Technological nightmare if you want something simple. The turbo diesel is extremely hi tech. This line of reasoning is faulty. If you want low tech rebuild a tj or cj7. Drive it’s balls off and rebuild it again. the only real tech your talking about in a rubicon vs a willys is the front axle locker. assuming willys still have a rear locker.
I have had a Cj and tj and now a jlur. The JLUR is like The starship enterprise compared to the other 2.

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Eco Diesel; 2014 JKU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I guess I'm on the unlucky list so far. Have been waiting 25 days for repair parts for the turbocharger that threw an engine code at 7100 miles. I really, really, really want to love this engine, but this is the 2nd check engine light with dealer replacement parts required in her short life. Send good energy from the universe our way if you wouldn't mind.

Check your fuses! I know it sounds crazy, but mine was in the shop over a month for a Def pump failure and it was a friggin fuse! just saying! good luck

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
I wanna laugh because that’s so silly but it’s really kinda sad
i wonder how many or if any of the Jeep fires have been caused by a short

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I wanna laugh because that’s so silly but it’s really kinda sad
i wonder how many or if any of the Jeep fires have been caused by a short
I’m waiting on the recall

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I'm loving my JLURD - my 1st JL. For some reason, my Rubicon Hard Rock (JK) seemed more substantial/solid. But, I'm no Luddite, I bought all of the bells/whistles - especially the two safety packages. I just turned 65, and I need all the help I can get from the electronic nannies. And...no, I don't put complete faith in them, but it's nice to know they're there in case of the inevitable distraction.

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Now nobody get me wrong. I LOVE MY JLUR/D! I mean it! this thing is a beast. I would not trade it in for anything. I have a 2014 Sahara that has a ton of work done to it, and still prefer this one. This is the Jeep I've been waiting for my entire adult life. I started with a 92 YJ 5speed no AC. Then from that turd to the TJ with the 5 speed then the JKU and now this! Even when the dealer wanted me to turn it in on lemon law I said no. All Jeeps (I don't care what anyone says) will have something wrong with the model. YJ had AX5 Trans issues. TJ had overheating issues. First JK had Power issues and electrical gremlins, 2nd Gen JK's had steering and motor issues..ect. So, owning a Jeep means learning what the issue is and overcoming it. It's a lifestyle thing as well. Keep a towstrap and toolkit with you at all times and hope you need it for someone other than you is all.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
First JK had Power issues and electrical gremlins, 2nd Gen JK's had steering and motor issues..ect.
Hey Frank, I like the way you capitalized "Power issues" when referring to the minivan motor. I agree with the emphasis you to added, but you were too kind. I owned two, and I think they had POWER issues.

HamChuck

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 YJ 2.5l / 2020 JLUD Willy Sport
I know everyone seems to be all about the Rubicon or the Sport S, but what do y'all think about the Willy's Sport?

I'm super excited to see the Willy's Sport getting a 3.0 EcoDiesel option this year! I was very annoyed it wasn't available last year, and as I'll be putting in my order in October of 2021, great timing!!

My very first small buy will be replacing whatever larger rearview mirror comes on the Wrangler, and replacing it with a tiny circular one. I'm 6'5", and it seems every vehicle I drive the rearview mirrors always end up blocking my view out the right side of the front window. My brother has a '69 Torino GT with a tiny circular mirror and that's the only car I've ever driven I didn't need to duck down just to see out the right side of the front window. I figure if my rearview mirror isn't connected to the cars computer, replacing it won't cause as many problems.
My first large purchase will be replacing the 35-75lbs doors with 7-15lbs soft doors.

I'm a Mr. Fix-It-Yourself kinda guy... Don't know if any of you have ever replaced a power window regulator, motor, but it's a lotta work and usually pretty expensive. Tryna get to those dang impossible to reach screws! The crank windows on my old '95 F-150; I could replace the whole door lock and window regulator, crank, and glass in 45 minutes or less.
Simply put, I drive my vehicles into the ground, sometimes literally. XD I want to spend less time working on my car and more time killing it on the trail!

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Willy's Sport EcoDiesel - Technology Bad? 21wranglerjl1
They must have taken it away and brought it back. I am the proud owner of a Sarge Green Willy’s Sport Diesel. I ordered mine in Feb 2020 and took possession in April 2020. One of the last trains to leave the factory before they shut the plant down for the ‘Rona. It’s awesome. I have 14k miles on it. It’s driven from North Texas to Glacier National Park in northern Montana and back. Since you are in North Texas yourself, you may see me with the top soft top down and rocking Bestop soft half doors. Everything you need and nothing you don’t. Highly recommended.

Okietryon

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, F350
They must have taken it away and brought it back. I am the proud owner of a Sarge Green Willy’s Sport Diesel. I ordered mine in Feb 2020 and took possession in April 2020. One of the last trains to leave the factory before they shut the plant down for the ‘Rona. It’s awesome. I have 14k miles on it. It’s driven from North Texas to Glacier National Park in northern Montana and back. Since you are in North Texas yourself, you may see me with the top soft top down and rocking Bestop soft half doors. Everything you need and nothing you don’t. Highly recommended.
I have been looking for a thread that talks about the base sport/Willys with a Diesel engine and found it. I am getting ready to order aWillys Sport with Diesel engine and was wondering how others like it. I am planning on some very minor mods after I drive it for 6 momths

From a technology stand point I would like the 7” screen instead of 5”. Has someone found a way to mount a IPad and use it for navigation or replaced the 5” with 7”.
Sponsored