2021 V6 3.6 24v VVT fuel efficiency?

billy76

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Just got my 2021 Rubicon 4 door sting Gray Jeep and love it. One question though?

The dealer gave it to me with a full tank of gas, and I ran it down to 1% in the tank with fuel range saying “low” and only got 250 miles of range.

My trip computer says I averaged 14.7 MPG.

So my question is, is that normal? The window sticker says I should be averaging 19 MPG. Was it because it was my first tank? Will it get better on this next tank?
Sponsored

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I have never gotten 19 but I have a heavy foot and always shut off the start /stop. I average 16.7.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Just got my 2021 Rubicon 4 door sting Gray Jeep and love it. One question though?

The dealer gave it to me with a full tank of gas, and I ran it down to 1% in the tank with fuel range saying “low” and only got 250 miles of range.

My trip computer says I averaged 14.7 MPG.

So my question is, is that normal? The window sticker says I should be averaging 19 MPG. Was it because it was my first tank? Will it get better on this next tank?
Fuel economy will improve with break-in. So will power. Mine did both until about 19k miles.

Your driving profile and style will make a difference, too. I've taken a highway trip at 65mph and averaged 20.5 (21.5 on the dash) with 35's and 4.10 gearing. Mine is a manual. The auto should do at least as well, maybe better.

I see that you are in Miami, so if you are getting into traffic or doing much city driving, then 14.7 is pretty normal.

Let it break in and also let yourself learn what it likes and what it doesn't. I think with stock setup (33" tires) you should see as much as 23 on the highway at 65, and maybe 20 at 70, once broken-in.

I'd also recommend doing your first oil change between 1.5k and 2k miles. Go with a high quality 0w20, like Valvoline, Pennzoil Platinum, or Mobil 1 AFE or EP.

Are you doing mostly city? Some highway? Mix? Traffic?

Also I recommend running Top Tier fuel, such as Shell, Exxon, Mobil, Chevron, Sunoco, or whatever is available near you. Www.toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/ will have a list.

Let us know how it shakes out as the mies pile on. And enjoy the Jeep, regardless.

Oh, and one other thing. If you are running mud tires as opposed to all-terrains, you'll lose a little, too. They have more rolling resistance. Make sure your cold pressure is 37 or whatever is on the door jam sticker. That will help. I run 30psi cold. If I ran 37, I'd get at least 1mpg better. Also using the ESS in city driving will gain about 1mpg, at least for me. It makes less difference the less you do stop/go driving.

I hope some of that is helpful.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
To be fair, that is not at all what the window sticker says. Nobody ever I’ll ever tell you that YOU will be getting or should be getting a certain mpg.

MonLee

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Sport S
The epa are generally pretty fair with their estimates. It should be fairly easy to achieve. Im averaging 22 right now but i have a sport s with much lower rolling resistance. On my drive home from the dealer i had it as high as 26 over the course of a few dozen miles according to the dash. Im not exactly hypermiling but im also not drifting around every corner either.

Im just about at 1000 miles now and 90% of my driving is on 35 mph speed limit backroads, with some stop signs and traffic lights here and there.

But drive how you want, its your jeep do what you want with it. Unless you try hypermiling and still don't get to 19 i wouldn't worry about it.

chadk77

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ, 2021 JLURubicon
Build Thread
Link
I average 19ish in my 2021 Rubicon. Sometimes I'll get 20+ if I'm running 50-60 MPH but for the most part 19 is where it stays.

At first I was only getting 16-17 but as it broke in that slowly got better until about 12K for me.
Sponsored