First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Small Business Owner
I had the two front door windows of my 2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon tinted at 20%, and while the installer did a good job matching the relative darkness of the aftermarket tint to the factory tint, the hue is noticeably different. The factory tint, as it turns out, has a brown hue to it, whereas the aftermarket tint has a typical black/charcoal hue. It's frustrating enough that I am now looking to find an installer that can install tint with a matching hue.

Is this brown hue typical of Jeep factory tint, or is mine perhaps different because of the saddle brown interior? Does anyone have any suggestions for tint that matches the factory hue?

Thanks.
Sponsored

ryansjeep48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
I had the two front door windows of my 2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon tinted at 20%, and while the installer did a good job matching the relative darkness of the aftermarket tint to the factory tint, the hue is noticeably different. The factory tint, as it turns out, has a brown hue to it, whereas the aftermarket tint has a typical black/charcoal hue. It's frustrating enough that I am now looking to find an installer that can install tint with a matching hue.

Is this brown hue typical of Jeep factory tint, or is mine perhaps different because of the saddle brown interior? Does anyone have any suggestions for tint that matches the factory hue?

Thanks.
I ended up getting my fronts at 32%. I think it matches really well and I figured if the front was a little bit lighter than the back it wouldn’t be as bad as the opposite.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Unlimited Factory Tint Hue 1615729801586

ryansjeep48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler
I’m curious what level your back windows are at. It is possible to add another light layer to them to possibly match better. I think the guy who did mine told me that the 20% front would be darker than my rear windows. That’s why I did 32%

OP
OP
ifonline

ifonline

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Small Business Owner
I ended up getting my fronts at 32%
That looks nice. I think if I end up replacing the tint on the front doors I will go with 32% as well. The biggest issue will be a better match to the hue of the factory tint.

OP
OP
ifonline

ifonline

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Small Business Owner
I’m curious what level your back windows are at.
I have no idea. The fronts are marked from the factory, but the remaining windows are not.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Different manufacturers and different materials all have variations in color. Go to a shop that has samples applied to glass so you can compare. I’ve had 3M titanium tint in the past that was grey, but not on the JL. When I bought mine it had the door glass tinted already. The color is correct, but it’s 35%. Sorry, didn’t ask what they used since I thought I would replace it. But it doesn’t suck so I still have it.

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
Every tint is a bit different. Id suggest you get all of the rear windows tinted at 5% or 20%. Since factory tint really doesnt even do anything to block heat.

OP
OP
ifonline

ifonline

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Small Business Owner
The color is correct, but it’s 35%. Sorry, didn’t ask what they used since I thought I would replace it.
No worries. I am going to call around to see if I can get a match in color and, if I can find it, then probably go with ~32% and replace the tint on the two front doors.

Id suggest you get all of the rear windows tinted at 5% or 20%
I may add some film to the remaining windows depending on what my options are. I don't really want to go any darker than factory, but increased heat rejection would always be welcome. I'll have to see what kind of balance I can find.

K9-01

First Name
Chantelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
I didn't even think about this issue, so thank you for bringing it up! I wanted to get my front windows to match my rear factory tint and didn't even think about how it might differ with the hues. Now I might just get all the windows tinted darker to cover up the rear a little better.

OP
OP
ifonline

ifonline

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Small Business Owner
I didn't even think about this issue, so thank you for bringing it up!
I haven't had the chance to call around to ask about tint that matches the color better, but if I find an installer that can make it happen, I'll be sure to update this thread with the film that was used.
Sponsored