Sponsored

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I also ordered and replaced the box myself while also adding the synergy track bar brace. My dealer kept telling me they wouldn't replace it because they couldn't duplicate the problem. I had about 1.5 inch play in the steering wheel and a pull to the right.
Drives great now, no pull, no wandering, and no dead spot.
Is it necessary to get the software update?
I wouldn't lose any sleep over a reflash. But that's just me. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
My 2020 has the aluminum box with the update for that year. I’ve has zero issues. I wouldn’t replace it with a cast iron one unless an issue developed.

Command Line RC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
When I bought my Jeep in 2018...drove it off the lot.....the steering was all over the place. I drove right back to the dealership for them to tell me they all drive like that. I have tried every aliment under the sun. I even bought a new steering box (haven't installed it yet). Three days ago, I noticed my power steering reservoir was damn near empty. I could see in the snow that I was leaking red liquid. After some trial and tribulations, the low pressure power steering pump hose was little by little leaking fluid out. I swapped out the hose and I must say, this Jeep has never driven this good. I'm returning the new steering box.

I honestly never would have thought by replacing a simple $25.00 hose would have solved all my problems. It should have driven this good off the lot but never did.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
When I bought my Jeep in 2018...drove it off the lot.....the steering was all over the place. I drove right back to the dealership for them to tell me they all drive like that. I have tried every aliment under the sun. I even bought a new steering box (haven't installed it yet). Three days ago, I noticed my power steering reservoir was damn near empty. I could see in the snow that I was leaking red liquid. After some trial and tribulations, the low pressure power steering pump hose was little by little leaking fluid out. I swapped out the hose and I must say, this Jeep has never driven this good. I'm returning the new steering box.

I honestly never would have thought by replacing a simple $25.00 hose would have solved all my problems. It should have driven this good off the lot but never did.
For me, the fix was the longer control arms. I did buy the iron steering box, but it sits on the shelf for now.

Sponsored

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Adding casster fixed all my drivability problems on my 19 Rubi. First thing I tried was the Rancho steering stabilizer. No change. I have the aluminum box Built 11/18.

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392

The JL PS fluid is greenish in color. Have you been adding regular ATF?

rafarramirezp

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
For those that are out of warranty or rather do the work yourself we have created kits which includes the 2021 Steel steering gear here.

4 Door - https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/jlsteeringkit4dr.html
2 Door - https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku/jlsteeringkit2dr.html

The original TSB is attached which provides a bit more insight of the repair.

Please let us know if you have any questions.
Thanks,
-Benny
Im trying to Buy in the link, when i put my card its said that the security Number is wrong with not, happen with 3 different cards.

OP
OP
AllMoparParts.com

AllMoparParts.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Im trying to Buy in the link, when i put my card its said that the security Number is wrong with not, happen with 3 different cards.
Hi Rafael,
Please ensure your billing address matches your credit card statement. Also if you would like to PM me your email address I may be able to research the error further.

Thank you,
- Benny

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
So I’m out of warranty. My dealership basically said no shot at the TSB since I’m out and my build was outside the range in the TSB. I’m going to have a local shop order the steel box and install for me.
Is this flash necessary and what’s the dealership cost if so?

Thanks

Sponsored

OP
OP
AllMoparParts.com

AllMoparParts.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Hi Jason,
Yes new fluid and a flash is required, I think the flash changes something with the fluid pressure somehow. Typically dealers would charge 1 Hour for this so it depends on their labor rate. $100-150???

- Benny

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
Hi Jason,
Yes new fluid and a flash is required, I think the flash changes something with the fluid pressure somehow. Typically dealers would charge 1 Hour for this so it depends on their labor rate. $100-150???

- Benny
Any idea how long can I run the gear box without getting the flash?

OP
OP
AllMoparParts.com

AllMoparParts.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I am not sure, Perhaps someone who has done the swap can chime in with their experience as to what the steering felt like and or if there were any check engine lights etc....

- Benny

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I believe the flash is required to make the power steering pump work properly. I had the TSB done on my JLU when it was first released. It reduced the wandering that had plagued my Jeep. It didn't fix it. The remedy that was suggested here was to ensure that the flash was done...and that it was necessary.
Sponsored