Sponsored

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Thanks for posting this. I think $500 is a fair price to fix this, I don't want to waste my time at an incompetent dealer.
if you do this yourself how you are going to do the required software upgrade? I assume that will be an extra cost that you have to incur by taking it to the dealer? And of course there will be the ensuing fight with them to get them to do it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
AllMoparParts.com

AllMoparParts.com

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
if you do this yourself how you are going to do the required software upgrade? I assume that will be an extra cost that you have to incur by taking it to the dealer? And of course there will be the ensuing fight with them to get them to do it.
If out of warranty then yes it would be at additional costs. If you are in warranty but want to perform the repair yourself you can have the software checked first for the latest version. As mentioned in the repair PDF some vehicles may already have the latest software.

- Benny

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
If out of warranty then yes it would be at additional costs. If you are in warranty but want to perform the repair yourself you can have the software checked first for the latest version. As mentioned in the repair PDF some vehicles may already have the latest software.

- Benny
I don't agree with this statement at all. Unless you have the cast iron box already in your Jeep you will NOT have the software. You MAY have the 70F sales code (this is what the TSB is referring to) but the ONLY reason you would have the upgraded software is if you have the upgraded box.

So if someone chooses to do this on their own they will also need to pay money to the dealer for the new software.

It's my understanding that this is not a warranty issue and that if someone wants the TSB done it should be done regardless of mileage. Jeepcares should be able to confirm that.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yes you will. There is no way in the world you will have the correct software because the software ONLY applies to the new box. You may have the correct 70F sales code but you will not have the software.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Software updates are overrated. I assume the wheels will still turn when I turn the steering wheel. I would love for the dealer to do it for free, but after reading about some experiences on here I would just as soon do the work myself.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Software updates are overrated. I assume the wheels will still turn when I turn the steering wheel. I would love for the dealer to do it for free, but after reading about some experiences on here I would just as soon do the work myself.
It's beyond obvious that there is a software component to this TSB. You can tell the pump runs longer than the way it came stock. The suspicion is to cool the steering box by allowing the fluid to circulate or possibly to keep the pump from having to cycle off and on during brief moments of the wheel not moving.
I can confirm that even without the software update the wheel will still turn because initially my wife didn't get the update since they forgot. I went back and had them double check and update it. The thing to keep in mind is long term effect... yeah it will work without the update but what about 1, 2, 5 years down the road? Was there premature wear because the fluid wasn't cycling properly? You get the jist...

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
It's beyond obvious that there is a software component to this TSB. You can tell the pump runs longer than the way it came stock. The suspicion is to cool the steering box by allowing the fluid to circulate or possibly to keep the pump from having to cycle off and on during brief moments of the wheel not moving.
I can confirm that even without the software update the wheel will still turn because initially my wife didn't get the update since they forgot. I went back and had them double check and update it. The thing to keep in mind is long term effect... yeah it will work without the update but what about 1, 2, 5 years down the road? Was there premature wear because the fluid wasn't cycling properly? You get the jist...
I might agree but we are not redesigning the Jeep, we are replacing one box with another box that does the same physical job. I might look into the software down the road but it's the least of my worries. If Jeep was smart they would do a recall but instead they want to tell us all the common issues are 'normal' and give guys with aftermarket parts a hard time. I'm over it.

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a proud owner of the new gear box purchased from Benny a little over a month ago. Benny and the AllMoparParts.com team have helped me tremendously over the years, and they have been a huge resource for all of us here in the forums.

To date, no software updates here, though I'll likely ask about it next time I'm in. I'll share what they say.

As a caveat, I had my new steering box sent directly to a vendor to have it ported and prepared for a Hydro-assist setup. My first trip to the trails with the new setup was today, and what a great experience it was.

Thanks again Benny!

Updated 10/15:

Was at the dealer this week and asked about the software update. They recommended it, and installed it today. I really don't feel any difference yet, but then again, I've been fortunate to not have had to deal with the loose steering many describe. I'll chalk today's software upgrade up to having peace of mind that the proper sales codes/software are loaded for the AE version of the gear box.

Worth noting, the software reset a handful of my TazerJL settings, which were easy to revert back (TMPS, Gear Ratio, Tire Size, etc.). The only steering related change indicated in the paperwork I received was a Steering Calibration entry that was modified from a 0.00 value to a 0.08 value. Can't decipher what that really does, but the dealer believes it may add a bit of extra torque to the steering (completely speculation). If anyone can confirm what that value means, please share.

Last edited:

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I might agree but we are not redesigning the Jeep, we are replacing one box with another box that does the same physical job. I might look into the software down the road but it's the least of my worries. If Jeep was smart they would do a recall but instead they want to tell us all the common issues are 'normal' and give guys with aftermarket parts a hard time. I'm over it.
True, they both do the same physical job but the boxes are very different. The aluminum box is loose to begin with and prone to getting very loose in high heat and getting tight in freezing temps. So the reality is this isn't an apples to apples swap. These boxes behave differently enough that the engineers realized the software needs to tweak as well. Trust me, I'm over this too, I just wouldn't blow off the the software so easily since the part itself serves such a critical purpose.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
True, they both do the same physical job but the boxes are very different. The aluminum box is loose to begin with and prone to getting very loose in high heat and getting tight in freezing temps. So the reality is this isn't an apples to apples swap. These boxes behave differently enough that the engineers realized the software needs to tweak as well. Trust me, I'm over this too, I just wouldn't blow off the the software so easily since the part itself serves such a critical purpose.
Well let's say I'm doing it for science. I'll be happy to make a thread and post the long term results of the swap once I get the box.

Sponsored

UtahRubi

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
My dealer just replaced my steering box at no charge and I was 2000 miles out of warranty. It made a huge difference in the steering feel and go rid of the vagueness and wander. Definitely worth the upgrade. I am not going to a 2.5" lift with Steer Smarts steering components so it should be amazing once it's all done.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
@AllMoparParts.com do you have all the required parts in stock to do this TSB at home?

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Now, flash forward to 2021 and I hear some people with 19, 20's complain about the same type of play I had with my old TJ. I get my 2021 and I notice right away the steering is pretty good, some typical play but tight. It also doesn't return to center on its own, just like my old TJ after I tightened the steering box screw!
Ah that's exactly how my 2020 is (with the aluminum steering box lol). In the future I'll probably mention it to see if I can get the TSB too.

OP
OP
AllMoparParts.com

AllMoparParts.com

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
@AllMoparParts.com do you have all the required parts in stock to do this TSB at home?

No we have one order waiting to be accepted and then will need to wait the 7 days after that so if I had to estimate it would take us 2 weeks to get you one at this time.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks,
-Benny

69 ORIGINAL

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS 3.6L & 2020 JLUS 2.0L
Occupation
Finance
For the JLU parts we need 2-3 days to source them. I will send you a code you can use should you decide to go for it.

- Benny
Not seeing any real forward movement or genuine committment from FCA fromt-line management to do anything about this. How many dead before its a 'real' problem? FCA PUTS PROFITS OVER SAFETY; Slow-walks critical warranty safety repair claiming part availability, yet will sell you that same part immediately if you are willing to purchase for an over-inflated aftermarket parts price. YOU ARE DESTROYING GOODWILL AT AN INCREDIBLY FAST PACE WITH ROOKIE MOVES LIKE THIS. Just man up and own it, fix it, demostrate that you stand behind your product. How many times do companies need to learn that eithcs = long term profitability? How many HBS case studies do there need to be on the brand destruction that comes from this nickle and dime warranty avoidance nonsense. Think about what you spend on your marketing budget -- what is your cost per acquisition, per unit? How many owners have more than one Jeep? I have two JLs. My brother has one. My freinds have them. We all talk. Duh. Doing the right thing at times like this is the CHEAPEST FORM OF BRAND BUILDING YOU CAN DO! Stupid, rookie move. Time to get your Senior Management and Board invovled. Please. Whatever Manager, Director or VP in Aftermarket or Service Engineering that made this bonehead call needs a little perspective, or maybe a new opportunity in a part of the business where they can't screw things up this much. Seriously, can you escalate to someone that can see outside of a functional box? That understands the waterbed model - that optimizing warranty cost while destroying 50-100x in brand value is not 'good for the business'. It's going to get to that level sooner or later. Just do the right thing and be our hero and not a villian. It's so easy.
Sponsored

Last edited: