Biconia

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
i think this is some thing that FCA have to cover to all 18 19 models with or without the warranty
this steering box came defective from day 1 till today
so whoever are out of the warranty have to fix this from own pocket ?
i think that's totally wrong decision's FCA
this is something that must get covered by FCA no matter how much miles the car has or not
peoples spend at least 40~65k + for new wrangler with defective steering box from day 1 and now expired warranty peoples have to pay $600+ installs and reflash to get fix this thing out ?
if i know this problem before i purchase my JLUR i would not buy it

@JeepCares what's your concern about this ?

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Has anyone tried the new box without the software update? Does it work, is it drivable? My nearest dealer is 99 miles away. I would have to install this box and then drive there to get the software changed if I wanted to do this upgrade on my own.

OP
OP
AllMoparParts.com

AllMoparParts.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Has anyone tried the new box without the software update? Does it work, is it drivable? My nearest dealer is 99 miles away. I would have to install this box and then drive there to get the software changed if I wanted to do this upgrade on my own.
Hi Jim,

I do not have direct input on your question but just to clarify, The software is not specific to the steel gear box as the bulletin states that some vehicles coming in for service with an original box may already have the update. This is detailed in step 2 of the bulletin.

-Benny

Deleted member 53226

I don't know about all this software stuff and upgraded parts business, especially after having my 2021 JLUS for a few weeks now. Allow me to explain based on years of TJ ownership:

Jeep has been using virtually the same steering box setup for decades. I had a 99 TJ with a loose steering wheel dead spot in the middle, etc. The old school fix for that, preached in all the Jeep forums, was to tighten am exterior screw adjuster on the box itself which caused the steering gears to mesh more tightly. It was a tricky operation because you are trading a tighter feeling steering wheel for one that no longer returns to center on its own. I did mine and found a sweet spot where the wheel was tighter, less dead spot and free play, and it sort of returned to center with a little help. Tighten the screw too much and you have a safety issue where the wheel won't easily do that.

Now, flash forward to 2021 and I hear some people with 19, 20's complain about the same type of play I had with my old TJ. I get my 2021 and I notice right away the steering is pretty good, some typical play but tight. It also doesn't return to center on its own, just like my old TJ after I tightened the steering box screw!

I really wonder if Jeep's "fix" for 2021 was to just tighten that steering box adjuster up just a hair. Nothing more.

Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I don't know about all this software stuff and upgraded parts business, especially after having my 2021 JLUS for a few weeks now. Allow me to explain based on years of TJ ownership:

Jeep has been using virtually the same steering box setup for decades. I had a 99 TJ with a loose steering wheel dead spot in the middle, etc. The old school fix for that, preached in all the Jeep forums, was to tighten am exterior screw adjuster on the box itself which caused the steering gears to mesh more tightly. It was a tricky operation because you are trading a tighter feeling steering wheel for one that no longer returns to center on its own. I did mine and found a sweet spot where the wheel was tighter, less dead spot and free play, and it sort of returned to center with a little help. Tighten the screw too much and you have a safety issue where the wheel won't easily do that.

Now, flash forward to 2021 and I hear some people with 19, 20's complain about the same type of play I had with my old TJ. I get my 2021 and I notice right away the steering is pretty good, some typical play but tight. It also doesn't return to center on its own, just like my old TJ after I tightened the steering box screw!

I really wonder if Jeep's "fix" for 2021 was to just tighten that steering box adjuster up just a hair. Nothing more.
18-20 model JL's came with an aluminum steering box, the "new" box is steel.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
I had my front end alined to fix the movement in my jeep,after that didn't work I called customer service. I only have 5000 miles on it.
I called my dealer and they sound like they don't want to fix it.
Well, after this post, at least I know the parts are available.
Does anyone know where the parts are made?

Brenden

First Name
Brenden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 rubicon unlimited manual, 2021 Ram 1500 ecodiesel crew
i think this is some thing that FCA have to cover to all 18 19 models with or without the warranty
this steering box came defective from day 1 till today
so whoever are out of the warranty have to fix this from own pocket ?
i think that's totally wrong decision's FCA
this is something that must get covered by FCA no matter how much miles the car has or not
peoples spend at least 40~65k + for new wrangler with defective steering box from day 1 and now expired warranty peoples have to pay $600+ installs and reflash to get fix this thing out ?
if i know this problem before i purchase my JLUR i would not buy it

@JeepCares what's your concern about this ?
Ford knew and knows all 2011, 2012, 2013 3.5 EcoBoost F150s are prone to stretching the timing chain to the point of rattling and needing repair. Just like Jeep, Ford has a TSB for dealers to read for proper repair. Guess what Ford only fixed the problem for people in warranty. Majority of the time the problem became noticeable at 75,000 to 100,000 miles. So no warranty. Only $3500 to repair that. I had a 2012 needed new chain at 84,000 miles. I've talked to people with same story as mine and others with 150,000 that never needed the repair.

Point being all manufacturering companies have failures that happened enough to come up with factory solution but not enough for every vehicle have the issue.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

We now have the new t s b steering box in our '19 JLU...it needs to have the new steering box adjusted a tad. It's so much better than the old Aluminum box. There is a vague spot on centre with ours; however, we have return-to-centre.

Sounds like yours needs an adjustment too.

Sponsored

Biconia

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
Ford knew and knows all 2011, 2012, 2013 3.5 EcoBoost F150s are prone to stretching the timing chain to the point of rattling and needing repair. Just like Jeep, Ford has a TSB for dealers to read for proper repair. Guess what Ford only fixed the problem for people in warranty. Majority of the time the problem became noticeable at 75,000 to 100,000 miles. So no warranty. Only $3500 to repair that. I had a 2012 needed new chain at 84,000 miles. I've talked to people with same story as mine and others with 150,000 that never needed the repair.

Point being all manufacturering companies have failures that happened enough to come up with factory solution but not enough for every vehicle have the issue.
but now we all know there is updated steering gear box to fix the problem
and i know most of the peoples are still under warranty but for the peoples without they must provide some advantage or big discount for this TSB since our drivetrain warranty is 5year 60k miles no idea why steering is not included as Drivetrain :)
its just my concerns. hope everyone gets New Steering box service..

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I think going to the steel box was not meant for the sloppy play but more so for the steering locking up at highway speeds. In the process I assume FCA tightened up the gear meshing to get rid of the play

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
@AllMoparParts.com whats the availability in this box? Is it shipping today?
I had my front end alined to fix the movement in my jeep,after that didn't work I called customer service. I only have 5000 miles on it.
I called my dealer and they sound like they don't want to fix it.
Well, after this post, at least I know the parts are available.
Does anyone know where the parts are made?
they don’t want to fix it because Jeep doesn’t pay enough to give them an incentive. They’d rather change oils at $100 a pop.

OP
OP
AllMoparParts.com

AllMoparParts.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
@AllMoparParts.com whats the availability in this box? Is it shipping today?

they don’t want to fix it because Jeep doesn’t pay enough to give them an incentive. They’d rather change oils at $100 a pop.

For the JLU parts we need 2-3 days to source them. I will send you a code you can use should you decide to go for it.

- Benny
Sponsored