2021 Seat Torture

Wraif

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 2-door manual Rubicon, 09 JKU
I can’t be the only one who finds the JL seats intolerable for long trips, so I want to ask for advice on replacing these torture devices before replacing the vehicle.

I have ridden motorcycles on multi-day trips and had less ass soreness than an 10 hour drive in these flintstone designed abominations. So it’s not like I have an overly sensitive butt. There are plenty of problems with this Jeep ( more than I have ever had with another vehicle), but this could be a deal breaker. And yes, I test drove it - but not long enough for the seat deficiencies to become apparent.

So has anyone found a good solution for a JL that has to be a daily driver?

Thanks
If you ride, I’m sure you’ve heard of Air Hawk seat cushions. They make me hem for car, truck and Jeep seats too.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Seat Torture 6FC2AD06-BBD4-4065-B7EA-D9017FBE2CC9
Sponsored

mla575

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 4xe, 16 Toyota Sienna, 06 Gallardo SE
Occupation
Self Employed
I can’t be the only one who finds the JL seats intolerable for long trips, so I want to ask for advice on replacing these torture devices before replacing the vehicle.

I have ridden motorcycles on multi-day trips and had less ass soreness than an 10 hour drive in these flintstone designed abominations. So it’s not like I have an overly sensitive butt. There are plenty of problems with this Jeep ( more than I have ever had with another vehicle), but this could be a deal breaker. And yes, I test drove it - but not long enough for the seat deficiencies to become apparent.

Thanks

I have had my 21 4xe Rubicon since May and my back issues that I thought were "somewhat" resolved have come back since. Could be pure coincidence. I have tried seat supports and I just purchased the Desert does it spacers. Should arrive today and hopefully will help.

I am 5'- 8", 165 lbs.

Something I have noticed and not sure if it would make a difference is that the height of the seats to enter and exit is at an odd height (for me at least). To enter I need to slightly lift up and pull myself in and to exit its a slight slide/hop down. Wondering if the slight contortion is making a difference. Possible solution I am thinking may be to add lift and rock rail w/ small steps to fully commit to entering/exiting (if that makes sense)

Going to try everything I can....

PBosch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon XR
The seats are not great. They are okay, but at a little over 2 hour point into a trip I notice they are probably the least comfortable of any I've ridden in. Not horrible, just not good.

Irish Creig

First Name
Creig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Unlimited

Thanks
I actually drove from Pittsburgh to Kansas City and back (1700 mile roundtrip) and had no problems. I thought maybe I would since last year in December when I picked up my Wrangler I thought the seats were uncomfortable after being in them for a while, but it doesn't bother me now. I drive a lot, (2-3000 miles a month) and so maybe my body got used to them??

Sponsored

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
This is probably worth its weight in gold on the JL. The seat feels flat and hard. I know there's a cushion there, but I sit right through it. The stupid cabbie beads I have make it 100x more comfortable.
How high do these increase your eye level, plus headroom a factor?
Hitting a hard roof with head on a bump would not be fun.
I'm sure they are good for circulation.

longfiredragon

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW Sport 2.0 L Turbo
Everybody is different I guess. I love my seats and I just have a sport base cloth model Jeep. I have zero issue with them, they have raised sides so you don't feel like your going to slide out when cornering and I just went over 2K miles in mine and they were great, even my wife who has back issues never complained. I weigh 155.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I just recently had my seats upgraded in my JLUR. I had a local guy install a gel memory foam under the stock seat cover. My seats are very comfy now.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Seat Torture 1638988945189

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Seat Torture 1638988965687

In our current cold weather they are a little stiff for the first few miles.

Gotcha-Again-LOL

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon Mojito
Vehicle Showcase
I just recently had my seats upgraded in my JLUR. I had a local guy install a gel memory foam under the stock seat cover. My seats are very comfy now.

In our current cold weather they are a little stiff for the first few miles.
Hey can you message me your seat guys contact info? I am in East Texas, but if I could have my local seat shop replicate that in my seats with a conversation and info from your guy maybe I will keep this Jeep a lot longer! The seats are my only complaint about this thing! Cant ride for more than 2 hours without soreness and general discomfort and I have never had any back injuries lol

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Hey can you message me your seat guys contact info? I am in East Texas, but if I could have my local seat shop replicate that in my seats with a conversation and info from your guy maybe I will keep this Jeep a lot longer! The seats are my only complaint about this thing! Cant ride for more than 2 hours without soreness and general discomfort and I have never had any back injuries lol
His contact info

The seat are way better. It was defiantly worth the $700 for the two front seats.

Sponsored

545moose

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
I'm a little salty that Jeep did away with the stitched seats as I bet they were a little more comfy, but maybe had issues, who knows, and they don't offer them now 21/22s. Having lower back issues I will vouch for the ROHO/Airhawk route as that was my short term solution in my Lexus GX460; ultimately I still want Scheelman seats though; worth every cent with adjustability for whatever you want that day in particular.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I'm a little salty that Jeep did away with the stitched seats as I bet they were a little more comfy, but maybe had issues, who knows, and they don't offer them now 21/22s. Having lower back issues I will vouch for the ROHO/Airhawk route as that was my short term solution in my Lexus GX460; ultimately I still want Scheelman seats though; worth every cent with adjustability for whatever you want that day in particular.
Funny you should mention the GX. The only time that I brought a vehicle in to an upholstery shop for padding adjustment was for a GX. [our LX sat fine]. They trashed the seat. Lesson learned.

545moose

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GX460
Funny you should mention the GX. The only time that I brought a vehicle in to an upholstery shop for padding adjustment was for a GX. [our LX sat fine]. They trashed the seat. Lesson learned.
Damn that's crazy! That 460 seat is a nightmare, zero cushion to it and a nightmare for my back after an hour or so. Buddy of mine out in Vegas has the Scheelman seats and I tested them when I went to get my first LRA tank installed; amaze-balls. Such a difference. Sad that you can look at seats from a 25-30yr old BMW even and they're better than most seats these days. Manufacturers are worried about what looks good and zero comfort. Grand Cherokee seats aren't bad. Seats in a diesel Cayenne are nice too (I considered going down that road prior to my JLUD order, just couldn't ever bring myself to molest a Porsche like that) Volvo seats have always been great that I've seen too.

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
I’m fat, so where the Jeep lacks cushion, I have it built in.
Sponsored