2021 Seat Torture

RealMenDIY

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
There are a bunch of threads about this exact topic. Lift kits/spacers for the seats will work but are expensive. Here is what I did to mine, this is copied from where I posted on another thread:

Not that people need another opinion but I think washers is the way to go (at least initially to find out the height that feels good to you). I just put (7) 3/8 x 1.5” washers under both front mounts and it is a night and day difference for the better. The washers give me 7 levels of adjustability too, I’m gonna see how it feels during my commute. I also swapped the bolts out with M10x1.5 @ 35mm (prob could have got away with 30mm). FYI (7) washers was the max I could fit without having to modify the rail mount hole. I think I was all in for $7 at the end of the day. I highly recommend people try this before spending $75 on a manufactured product; it works.

Other forum members have tried the washer solution with similar success. After living with the new seat angle for over a month it has made a world of difference.

Good luck!

RealMenDIY

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Not sure if my memory is correct, but it looks like they've raised their prices by 25%
Not surprised, raw material costs are up across the board, ESPECIALLY metals. Between escalation and limited material availability product manufacturers/fabricators are having a rough go at it the last 6 months.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Not surprised, raw material costs are up across the board, ESPECIALLY metals. Between escalation and limited material availability product manufacturers/fabricators are having a rough go at it the last 6 months.
Our local steel supply house the price on my skid plate steel went up 25% in 3 months!

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
As someone who has been in 2 head on collisions (Drunk driver hit me and a person texting) and been rear ended where a factory seat broke the mounts there is no way I would use wwshers or a sest raising product. im sure I am being overly cautious, but these are tested heavily to survive an accident and protect the drivers as is.

I was considering swapping to a grand Cherokee seat if they were plug and play, but they were not even close to fitting. I am considering the Mojave seats as they are am little different.

Sponsored

RealMenDIY

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
As someone who has been in 2 head on collisions (Drunk driver hit me and a person texting) and been rear ended where a factory seat broke the mounts there is no way I would use wwshers or a sest raising product. im sure I am being overly cautious, but these are tested heavily to survive an accident and protect the drivers as is.

I was considering swapping to a grand Cherokee seat if they were plug and play, but they were not even close to fitting. I am considering the Mojave seats as they are am little different.
Makes sense and I don't blame you. Similarly, I don't brake hard at yellow lights, especially on 2-lanes roads with 65mph speed limits. I did it once and was rear-ended by a flatbed that didn't hit the brakes at 55 mph. Never again.

From my standpoint a few things I made sure of to minimize the risk of failure due to modification:
1) I wasn't reducing the contact area where the seat frame makes contact with the body. The washers I used have a larger footprint than the contact area with the body.
2) I used new, longer bolts to make up for the 1/2" space the washers take up and ensure I have full thread contact at the body attachment point.

In the grand scheme of modifications that people do to these things this one seemed very minimal with minor risk, for me. Maybe I am wrong, who knows. As I have seen many times on this forum "to each their own".

OP
OP

GDI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
I put on a cheap beaded seat cover. Huge improvement for me. The beads are a 1/4 inch maybe, it’s a big enough difference to notice. The stock seat is too low/hard. Added benefit of the beaded covers: no sweaty back, especially nice on the trail.
Do you mean something like this?
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Seat Torture 96D1F0F6-80FB-46C0-99A4-96D26E86D97D

OP
OP

GDI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
I'm ambivalent on the OEM seats, I don't think they are bad, but not necessarily all that good. Has anyone on here actually done a full (front) seat replacement? It's something I've considered, maybe something from Corbeau.
I just took a look at the Corbeau site and it looks like they have a couple of models that would fit, and they sell brackets for the JL. I’ll call them next week to see what they recommend. If that works out I guess that will use up my Stinger Heigh10 budget!

Reactions: DHW

NBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
im sure I am being overly cautious, but these are tested heavily to survive an accident and protect the drivers as is.
Same bolts, same mounting point - there’s zero change to the pull-out strength.

drshaws

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys 6MT, 2015 Ody
I need to find a MA local that's done this before investing in the seatjackers. My initial issue with the seats was similar to what someone else said - the head rest angle was awful. I reclined the seat more, which helps that, but I there are times I find I'm almost too reclined (and it's not even that much).
What's worse is the angle my foot has with the gas pedal. I seem to get a very stiff/achy right ankle after longer drives (2+ hours), and I've yet to sort out how to get the seat height or other positioning correct to help solve that one.
Never had that issue in our MK7 GTI (which, yes, I realize is built for driving).

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Thanks for all the replies - I never thought that it was the angle of the seat so I may try the block to lift the front of the seat.

To be more clear, currently it feels like I am sitting on a rock after a few hours. The lumbar is fine and the back angle seems ok. It is just that both sides of my rear hurt terribly and constantly eventually. I think my butt bones (the sitz bones) are bottoming out on the seat pan.
I had the same comfort concerns. I added 1" spacers to the two front legs of the driver's seat - problem solved. My homemade solution looks much more OEM than Seat-Jackers and they're cheaper.

See posts #68 & #70:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...iver-seat-bottom-seat-tilt-angle.16771/page-5

Canyonero02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green JLUR
Everyone is different. My 2019 F-150 has softer wider seats than our JLUR with leather but for long trips I find the Jeep seats to be more comfortable. I do wish they could be lowered a little bit more though. They are noticeably higher than the JKU we have before.

Mikeymiler

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2 door
I have done a few 8 hour trips and have found the seats to be relatively comfortable no issues with my back or legs but haven’t gone on a really long trip yet yet

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
sorry if i missed it, but i didn't see much mention of individuals weight.

i'm pretty comfy in the stock seats in our Willys and haven't found any need to modify anything yet. i'm over 6'2" with proportinally long limbs, and ~225.
the biggest difference i found came from adding a dead pedal; something i felt like i needed immediately and found that i use it unconciously and don't even think about it most of the time. IMHO, J**p should have put one in there to start with.

to be clear, i'm not allergic to modifying things to fit (i've had to change the seats in BMWs, Mercedes and my KTM to suit my high Ape Index), just haven't found any need to change these yet.

Thanks for all the replies - I never thought that it was the angle of the seat so I may try the block to lift the front of the seat.

To be more clear, currently it feels like I am sitting on a rock after a few hours. The lumbar is fine and the back angle seems ok. It is just that both sides of my rear hurt terribly and constantly eventually. I think my butt bones (the sitz bones) are bottoming out on the seat pan.

OP
OP

GDI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
sorry if i missed it, but i didn't see much mention of individuals weight.

i'm pretty comfy in the stock seats in our Willys and haven't found any need to modify anything yet. i'm over 6'2" with proportinally long limbs, and ~225.
the biggest difference i found came from adding a dead pedal; something i felt like i needed immediately and found that i use it unconciously and don't even think about it most of the time. IMHO, J**p should have put one in there to start with.

to be clear, i'm not allergic to modifying things to fit (i've had to change the seats in BMWs, Mercedes and my KTM to suit my high Ape Index), just haven't found any need to change these yet.
Yes - I added a dead Pedal first thing. I’m 250ish, but have found that shifting my cushion forward to raise my thighs helps alleviate the problem.
Sponsored