Sponsored

2021 Seat Torture

Nailgun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I find my 2021 JLUR front drivers seat to also be somewhat uncomfortable. So tonight I grabbed my level, digital angle checker and tape measure to compare real measurements against a vehicle I find to be all around more comfortable (and honestly....better to drive for the reasons it was built for). Both seats are set currently where I find them best. That comparison vehicle is a 2007 Chev Trailblazer LT with leather. Both vehicles were parked on the same incline....so angles are relative to each othe without out regard to true level.

Gas pedal to leading edge of lower seat cushion.
TB = 23"
JLUR = 23"

Steering wheel centre to mid back
TB = 26"
JLUR = 24"

Leading edge of lower cushion to floor
TB = 14"
JLUR 14 1/4"

Lower cushion leading edge to back corner length
TB = 20 1/4"
JLUR = 19" (would be longer if it wasn't radius'd downward at leading edge)

Seat upright back cushion angle compared to vertical
TB = 15 degrees
JLUR = 17 degrees

And the one that counts the most...

Angle relative to horizontal without regard to true level of the lower cushion

TB = 12 degrees
JLUR = 7 degrees

5 degrees. That's huge! No leg support as I see it.

So, I find after all my measuring......the lower cushion and length is most to blame. I loaded my dimensions into a CAD program and found the leading edge of the lower cushion has to come up 1 5/8" to replicate how I sit in the TB. In the near future I am going to machine up a set of exact height lift blocks to what I spec'd out above.

My advice to JEEP......add front/back tilt to the menu next redesign. And when you build it.....post the part number here so past JL owner can buy the part. I would.
Sponsored

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I find my 2021 JLUR front drivers seat to also be somewhat uncomfortable. So tonight I grabbed my level, digital angle checker and tape measure to compare real measurements against a vehicle I find to be all around more comfortable (and honestly....better to drive for the reasons it was built for). Both seats are set currently where I find them best. That comparison vehicle is a 2007 Chev Trailblazer LT with leather. Both vehicles were parked on the same incline....so angles are relative to each othe without out regard to true level.

TB = 23"
JLUR = 23"

TB = 26"
JLUR = 24"

TB = 14"
JLUR 14 1/4"

TB = 20 1/4"

TB = 15 degrees
JLUR = 17 degrees

TB = 12 degrees
JLUR = 7 degrees

So, I find after all my measuring......the lower cushion and length is most to blame. I loaded my dimensions into a CAD program and found the leading edge of the lower cushion has to come up 1 5/8" to replicate how I sit in the TB. In the near future I am going to machine up a set of exact height lift blocks to what I spec'd out above.

My advice to JEEP......add front/back tilt to the menu next redesign. And when you build it.....post the part number here so past JL owner can buy the part. I would.
I just ordered a set of spacers to hopefully help mine...

OP
OP

GDI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Since you mentioned riding motorcycles you are probably aware that there are shops specialized in making custom saddles. Same for other vehicles; I would take it to an upholstery shop and ask them to recommend a shop that customizes seats for pain relieve or comfort.
yes I am aware ! In fact I have a set of custom Recaros being built for an old Bmw I have. They aren’t cheap though. But doing that for a 47 year olds car is an easier pill to swallow than for a 3 month old car!

OP
OP

GDI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
A friend has a Grand Cherokee Trackhawk and he was having comfort problems. Same as you. He was ready to sell it. He took it to a automotive upholstery shop.

The upholstery shop took apart the seat bottom and replaced the foam. Surprisingly they added a thin layer of firmer foam with a softer memory foam layer on top. He did like 3-4 test sittings before they put it all back together. Looks 100% stock. You can't even tell they had anything apart or did any work. Not until you sit in the drivers seat after sitting in the passenger seat. It cost like $300?
I would pay that without hesitation
!

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase

TB = 23"
JLUR = 23"

TB = 26"
JLUR = 24"

TB = 14"
JLUR 14 1/4"

TB = 20 1/4"

TB = 15 degrees
JLUR = 17 degrees

TB = 12 degrees
JLUR = 7 degrees

We LOVED the seats in my 2006 Trailblazer SS. We drove 18 hours straight through from MO to FL multiple times without issues. They were better than my GC Trailhawk.

I have actually been looking for a used Trailblazer SS as a fun play vehicle. I sold mine for 21k back in 2009, some are more than that now.

b0c7ee7c-a5c4-4fe5-fd19-424fdd9f7c24.jpg

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I would pay that without hesitation
!
I just called my friend who had the seat redone. He said it was $450 by the time everything was done. I'd ask the guy who is doing your Recaro seats.

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
I just took out the front bolts, and put two thick washers behind the bracket, replace bolt. Super cheap and does lift the front.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
Longest drive to date was 7 hours and my butt was fine. However left leg hamstring was uncomfortable due to lack of dead pedal and if the drive was longer I’m pretty sure I’d start feeling sciatic (piriformis muscle) pain on the left side. Problem with the Wrangler is unlike a lot of vehicles that have power driver seats with many mechanical degrees of freedom, we’re stuck with minimal adjustment capabilities. Fancy power seats are not just marketing gimmicks. Watch this video for the optional power seat adjustments in the new Grand Cherokee L

Sponsored

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
I'm 6'3" with a longer torso and had a 2018 jlu for 2.5 years(29k miles) that I daily drove the first 1.5 years. The driver seat was always an issue bc the back of my head was touching the roll bar when I sat up decently straight and outward visibility wasn't great. The seat needs to lower 2" for tall people IMHO and the angle of the seat botton was uncomfortable bc it didn't tilt back enough. The headrest also was uncomfortable bc of how it leans forward.

I tried getting the seat rail lowered and then had the bottom foam redone to lower it and it helped temporarily..but I eventually had it added back bc I started feeling the seat frame.

It also had other issues and was at the dealer alot for warranty work. I bought a honda accord for commuting and ended up selling the jeep. I dont miss the seats or wasting time at the dealer.

The rear bench seat is also uncomfortable bc it tilts too far forward and the back is too upright...head rests are also annoying...especially for carseats. They should recline more and make the rear headrests removable...Jeep needs to improve the seats.:beer:

Last edited:

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL 2 DR 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500
Last month, June I drove my 2019 JL 2DR from Maine to Utah following the Appalachian Mountains down the country, and through Oklahoma on the Trans America Trail (TAT) touching NM, TX, NV in to and through Colorado to Moab covering 7800 miles in four weeks. I have cloth seats covered by Wet Okole neoprene seat covers. Most of my days were 6 hours of driving and one of 12 hours (coming home). I am 81 years old, 6' 2" tall and 220 pounds. I suffered no aches and pains and found the seat very comfortable. I did appreciate that the 2DR made me stop every couple of hours to relax, stretch, and fuel up both myself and the Jeep. I do think that my experience was probably atypical. As an additional note, I have backpacked all over the world the past 15 years including walking the 500 miles from St. Jean Pied de Port in France to Santiago de Campostela, Spain at 74 and consider myself fitter than others in my age cohort. I sympathize with those who find the seats problematic, but obviously, one size does not fit all.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
I'm ambivalent on the OEM seats, I don't think they are bad, but not necessarily all that good. Has anyone on here actually done a full (front) seat replacement? It's something I've considered, maybe something from Corbeau.
Sponsored