Sponsored

2021 Seat Torture

GDI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
I can’t be the only one who finds the JL seats intolerable for long trips, so I want to ask for advice on replacing these torture devices before replacing the vehicle.

I have ridden motorcycles on multi-day trips and had less ass soreness than an 10 hour drive in these flintstone designed abominations. So it’s not like I have an overly sensitive butt. There are plenty of problems with this Jeep ( more than I have ever had with another vehicle), but this could be a deal breaker. And yes, I test drove it - but not long enough for the seat deficiencies to become apparent.

So has anyone found a good solution for a JL that has to be a daily driver?

Thanks
Sponsored

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I purchased an item called "seat jackers" that are blocks of aluminum that raise the front seat legs to give the seat a bit of a tilt back. I am 6' 1 so it made a big difference for me. I constantly felt like I was sliding into the dash.

JustDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
I can’t be the only one who finds the JL seats intolerable for long trips, so I want to ask for advice on replacing these torture devices before replacing the vehicle.

I have ridden motorcycles on multi-day trips and had less ass soreness than an 10 hour drive in these flintstone designed abominations. So it’s not like I have an overly sensitive butt. There are plenty of problems with this Jeep ( more than I have ever had with another vehicle), but this could be a deal breaker. And yes, I test drove it - but not long enough for the seat deficiencies to become apparent.

So has anyone found a good solution for a JL that has to be a daily driver?

Thanks
They aren't the most comfortable , but I'm getting used to them. There's a company, Desert Does It that makes risers for the front of JL seats. They claim that's the problem. Haven't tried them (yet).

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
I just installed the ohio diesel parts seat lift kit. I thought it would be too much and wouldn't be able to reach the pedals, but it works great for comfort, not sliding out, and having support for the back of my legs. It might not work as well for taller people (it includes blocks for the back of the driver seat so the entire seat is lifted) and might take away from head room, but just having the front of the seat higher up from the floor has made a big difference.

https://www.ohiodieselparts.com/product-page/jeep-wrangler-jl-jlku-front-seat-lift-spacer-kit-2018

Sponsored

jeepster345

First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
I just installed the seat slammers from Desert Does It and it was an incredible improvement. I have chronic back issues and would get nerve pain if I sat in my Jeep for longer drives. Now it feels more like a bucket seat and offer more thigh support. Also lowers the seat 2 inches which helps with head room.

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
I just installed the seat slammers from Desert Does It and it was an incredible improvement. I have chronic back issues and would get nerve pain if I sat in my Jeep for longer drives. Now it feels more like a bucket seat and offer more thigh support. Also lowers the seat 2 inches which helps with head room.
Odd, I had to give up bucket seats due to back pain and leg numbness. I find the flatter Jeep seats much more comfortable. 5'10 here so no issues with height.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Prime example of YMMV, we love our seats, I'm older w/ back issues and have discomfort on long trips w/ most of our current & previous vehicles but none whatsoever w/ our base cloth seats in the JL, go figure.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I have done a few 8 hour plus trips. Personally I feel the seats are comfortable. Everyone is built different. Take your Wrangler to a good automotive upholstery shop. They deal with this all the time. There are all kinds of different foam that can be reshaped, replaced, added, reinforced, etc. They can do wonders for comfort.

Last edited:

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
What is your issue with the seats? When I first got mine I thought the same because a properly adjusted seat and headrest would point my eyes and head down. I ended up reclining the seat and moving the head rest up a bit and that fixed the issue for me.

I would rather have not reclined the seat, but that was really the only thing that worked. I blame the headrest.

OP
OP

GDI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Thanks for all the replies - I never thought that it was the angle of the seat so I may try the block to lift the front of the seat.

To be more clear, currently it feels like I am sitting on a rock after a few hours. The lumbar is fine and the back angle seems ok. It is just that both sides of my rear hurt terribly and constantly eventually. I think my butt bones (the sitz bones) are bottoming out on the seat pan.

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
I was alot younger but on the job we would hold our seats in position with old transfer books folded up. 🗽
think a 2021 Jeep seat is an upgrade for me. 🙂
Dead pedal helps keep you from slouching.
It was my 2nd mod I put in.
Sponsored