2021 Rubicon Rock-Trac Full time

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
asking for a friend...if you get this do you ALSO get 4H, 4L and AWD??
Sponsored

SiNiSon

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I believe it's 2h, 4h, 4h auto, and 4l.
Yea I have it and that's what I have... it was explained to me 4h was fulltime and 4auto was some kind torque split based on slippage (not sure if its 2h until slippage or some 4w split)..

ymmv

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Yea I have it and that's what I have... it was explained to me 4h was fulltime and 4auto was some kind torque split based on slippage (not sure if its 2h until slippage or some 4w split)..

ymmv
Close, but not quite there.

Thanks to Reseg for the pic. 4H Auto is considered the full time 4x4 mode, which senses for rear wheel slippage and applies power to the front as needed. 4H Part Time is equal power to both axles for as long as you're in that mode.

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
There will always be power routed to the front axle in 4Auto in order for the transfer case to sense slippage

JeepVT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
If you are getting a JL mainly for off-roading purposes....do I even want this? I found a Rubicon for $40k new.....it has this, but seems like one more thing to do wrong on the trail.

JDaPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
If you live in a snowy area (or even a heavy rain area) then it will have value for you. Jeeps have had variants of this for years with no issue. I have a 15 year old liberty with a similar system and it has been perfectly reliable.

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
There will always be power routed to the front axle in 4Auto in order for the transfer case to sense slippage
Yep. I read too many folks say that 4H Auto is 2H unless 4WD is needed, and that's not entirely true. There is some power to all wheels, more when needed. Fuel mileage is affected as well.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
If you are getting a JL mainly for off-roading purposes....do I even want this? I found a Rubicon for $40k new.....it has this, but seems like one more thing to do wrong on the trail.
I wouldn’t want it if your mainly buying one for off-roading. It adds a clutch pack in the transfer case that you wouldn’t have otherwise.

Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Okay, not to be rude, but I'm a little jaded on these forums due to reading a lot of "bro science" (thoughts without any official or data backing). Though, I'm new and always wanting to learn. Can you please reference where the JL's are having issues, or reason for concern with what seems to be a negative post from you of problems that JLs are having by adding a clutch pack to the transfer case as you're saying Jeep has done here to provide this feature? I'm a bit of a data nerd and I lean hard towards data vs hearsay, and I'm assuming you have data beyond what your post initially shared with your very general post. I'm 100% on board with learning something here, but will admit part of me is wondering if this is a flat-earther kind of thing...
Wow. I was simply responding to one person that specifically wanted to know if for their use case, buying it for “mainly off-roading” if they would want this. I was not attempting to make any generalization for all people in all use cases.

I honestly believe this full time/selectrac transfer case will be reliable and a great feature for most people. Would I want it in a dedicated or mostly offroad rig for rock crawling? No I would not. That’s all I was trying to say. Sorry it got you worked up.

Would I want it if I was 100% on road use case? Yes.

Would I want it if my off-roading consisted of high speed stuff? Debatable, but probably.

There has been much debate on the forums regarding a clutch pack in a transfer case, you can go read those there. (Yes I participated) I don’t feel like rehashing it all again.

For rock crawling like I do, I want the direct mechanical connection sans clutch pack. There are enough unavoidable failure points as it is. Data or not, there are things you can buy that increase or decrease your odds based on your intended use case. Depending on your use case the answers change.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Axle? And what sliders/steps do you have?
Axle was fine, but I had to pull it to address some e-brake caused issues.

The steps/sliders in that picture are LOD Destroyer's. I have since replaced them with Metalcloak Overline sliders. The LOD's were a great step, but they didn't hold up to off-road use. They ultimately bent up into the body and put pretty good creases in the rocker panels on both sides. Like everything else it comes down to use case. I would fully recommend the Destroyers if you wouldn't be abusing them like I did. The Overlines make for a horrible step but have been a great slider.

Seems every decision from the options selected at initial Jeep purchase to every aftermarket part is a compromise of competing use cases. For me its the daily driving comforts vs rock gardens and scaling tall waterfall obstacles. I'm just glad we all have plenty of options so we can make decisions specific to our own situations and desires.

FYI - I have a garage page/vehicle showcase listing all the parts on my Jeep and even the ones I used to have on it.

Emoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon Hard Rock, Camaro SS
It came out in another thread that the front axles on the Wranglers equipped with the Full-Time option have CV joints. Please pardon my ignorance on the subject, but would the CV joints be stronger or weaker than however the architecture is on a standard Part-Time version?
Sponsored