2021 Rubicon brake up grade

Somefun

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Rubicon
Guys has anyone installed Brembo four or six person calipers on their Jeep? I drove my wife’s jeep again today and with the 35s on it and all the extra weight I need to make it stop better and not just with brake pads. I want some real brake power. I’m definitely installing stainless steel brake lines for sure but want larger brakes to go with the larger and way more heavier tires (40 lbs per ) any one do the same thing?
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

WOwen

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WB Hellcat, 2016 Wrangler, 2021 392 Wrangler
Baer makes a setup I'm looking into for mine.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
SS brake lines arent going to do anything
Under normal circumstances, no. But under heavy breaking they will not swell, like unwrapped rubber when the brake fluid is near the boiling point. It’s when the brakes are used at their limit where the stainless wrapped lines do their thing.

Sponsored

turbosix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Under normal circumstances, no. But under heavy breaking they will not swell, like unwrapped rubber when the brake fluid is near the boiling point. It’s when the brakes are used at their limit where the stainless wrapped lines do their thing.
It's a jeep not a race car. They're useless.

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
It's a jeep not a race car. They're useless.
I’m assuming he is referring to the heat produced from an extended down hill crawl. From that perspective SS makes sense if he is stressing the rig on a regular basis as the brake fluid will boil and cause wear on rubber lines.

A bigger problem is the fluid will lose its viscosity resulting in brake fade. Why driving in the correct gear, and avoiding long brake applications is so important.

Not judging, but OP may want to evaluate how he’s driving his rig in these situations.

OP
OP
Somefun

Somefun

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Rubicon
Light brake inputs SS lines won't do much of anything. But at high way speeds they will stop the line budging when there is extra pressure applied. I've installed them on many cars and motorcycles and you can tell the difference it doesn't have to be a race car situation. How ever going from 33's to 35" that are 40 lbs. more per tire its a brake caliper and rotor issue. Is it good enough to drive and be safe Yes. But in a panic situation hell no and I like to know I have more than enough brakes under the jeep if I should need them. I'm leaning towards either the Brembo 4 piston front and rear or 6 piston calipers.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Light brake inputs SS lines won't do much of anything. But at high way speeds they will stop the line budging when there is extra pressure applied. I've installed them on many cars and motorcycles and you can tell the difference it doesn't have to be a race car situation. How ever going from 33's to 35" that are 40 lbs. more per tire its a brake caliper and rotor issue. Is it good enough to drive and be safe Yes. But in a panic situation hell no and I like to know I have more than enough brakes under the jeep if I should need them. I'm leaning towards either the Brembo 4 piston front and rear or 6 piston calipers.
Will significantly bigger brakes even fit with 17s? Stock rotors are already 12.9" and clearance is pretty tight on my Raceline's. May want to check wheel requirements, both barrel and backspace.

Obviously, do what you want, but if you're not getting a significant additional rotor size, aren't you really just paying big bucks to spread your pressure out over more pistons? Without changing the Master Cylinder, you'll still get the same pressure out of the other end of the brake lines.

I know you say you want to do more than just pads, but have you at least tried them? I don't see the stock pad specs in a quick search, but looks like they're probably ceramic. A solid set of semi-metallic's will probably make a night and day difference in bite (of course at the sacrifice of dust).

In a track situation I'd say upgrade brake fluid, but I can't imagine you're driving it hard enough to be getting hot enough to warrant that.

OP
OP
Somefun

Somefun

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Rubicon
Will significantly bigger brakes even fit with 17s? Stock rotors are already 12.9" and clearance is pretty tight on my Raceline's. May want to check wheel requirements, both barrel and backspace.

Obviously, do what you want, but if you're not getting a significant additional rotor size, aren't you really just paying big bucks to spread your pressure out over more pistons? Without changing the Master Cylinder, you'll still get the same pressure out of the other end of the brake lines.

I know you say you want to do more than just pads, but have you at least tried them? I don't see the stock pad specs in a quick search, but looks like they're probably ceramic. A solid set of semi-metallic's will probably make a night and day difference in bite (of course at the sacrifice of dust).

In a track situation I'd say upgrade brake fluid, but I can't imagine you're driving it hard enough to be getting hot enough to warrant that.
I played pad games on a bunch of my cars and the last year on my Jeep SRT and got more aggressive pads that worked great but the problem then becomes they will squeal. That drives me nuts. with more smaller piston cups than say two large ones you'll get more clamping force per piston because each piston has much smaller surface area that your applying the presser to. With the larger stock caliper piston cups you'd need to apply more force (larger master cylinder) to apply the same clamping force of the smaller pistons. I'm not sure what ones will fit yet, I'm really just starting to look into it. But I will buy the largest that will fit my after market rims and I'll install the SS lines and use Motul 600 brake fluid. I have a bunch of it for our race bikes and its good for very high temps.

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I played pad games on a bunch of my cars and the last year on my Jeep SRT and got more aggressive pads that worked great but the problem then becomes they will squeal. That drives me nuts. with more smaller piston cups than say two large ones you'll get more clamping force per piston because each piston has much smaller surface area that your applying the presser to. With the larger stock caliper piston cups you'd need to apply more force (larger master cylinder) to apply the same clamping force of the smaller pistons. I'm not sure what ones will fit yet, I'm really just starting to look into it. But I will buy the largest that will fit my after market rims and I'll install the SS lines and use Motul 600 brake fluid. I have a bunch of it for our race bikes and its good for very high temps.
Understand the concerns on the noise, that's definitely a drawback in addition to the dust.

Since you aren't willing to go aggressive on the pad, I assume you'll at least end up with larger pads with the kits which should increase your friction surface area as well.

Just something to watch, if you're lifted. Looked like some of the kits include SS lines, and had notes that a different P/N was required for extended lines for lifts.

OP
OP
Somefun

Somefun

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Rubicon
Understand the concerns on the noise, that's definitely a drawback in addition to the dust.

Since you aren't willing to go aggressive on the pad, I assume you'll at least end up with larger pads with the kits which should increase your friction surface area as well.

Just something to watch, if you're lifted. Looked like some of the kits include SS lines, and had notes that a different P/N was required for extended lines for lifts.
Thanks for the info I appreciate it! What pads do you run? do they make noise?

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Thanks for the info I appreciate it! What pads do you run? do they make noise?
We've only got 1500 miles on ours, but we've got so much additional braking from the 4xe regen it makes it a non issue.

The Ram OEMs suck, had them replaced twice under warranty for noise and it comes back every time.

I did really like the track performance of the Stoptech Sport pads (Centric) I had on my bimmer, but they were a little noisy and dusted like crazy. Doesn't look like they've got a JL kit, but I think they tend to be solid quality for a good value due to the Centric corporate backing.

Looks like the Wilwood kit requires 18s, but the Teraflex Delta's may be a decent 4 piston/14" Rotor option to compare to the Brembos (comes with SM pads though).

OP
OP
Somefun

Somefun

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL Rubicon
We've only got 1500 miles on ours, but we've got so much additional braking from the 4xe regen it makes it a non issue.

The Ram OEMs suck, had them replaced twice under warranty for noise and it comes back every time.

I did really like the track performance of the Stoptech Sport pads (Centric) I had on my bimmer, but they were a little noisy and dusted like crazy. Doesn't look like they've got a JL kit, but I think they tend to be solid quality for a good value due to the Centric corporate backing.

Looks like the Wilwood kit requires 18s, but the Teraflex Delta's may be a decent 4 piston/14" Rotor option to compare to the Brembos (comes with SM pads though).
Yeah I've played with so many pads I can't tell ya, I'll have to look at the Teraflex stuff also because my wheels are pretty much the same size as the stock rims but wider. I don't remember off the top of my head what they are exactly.

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
Those are pricey, but I think I will have to get a set of Teraflex big brake kit for my Diesel. My Jeep weights more then the brakes are rated for. She takes a lot of road to stop and it scares the wifey.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Rubicon brake up grade DE24AC3F-BB75-40B8-9FD1-C3899DBD4D0E
Sponsored