Sponsored

2021 Rubicon - 4 cylinder vs V6 eTorque???

AusChicago20

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Hi All, first time post for me and new to the forum.

Long story short I am shifting to the USA (Chicago) from AUS and I am pretty set on a 2021 Unlimited Rubicon auto (my just sold D22 Navara was stick but auto is preferred by the wife and is better in traffic).

What I am the most torn on is the engines. I personally wanted the normal V6 NO eTorque but as we know that is not an option anymore with an Auto! So I am left with 4 cylinder turbo (no eTorque) or V6 eTorque, love diesel but I can't justify the price difference not with the extra discounts the petrols are getting right now.

I still like the idea of the V6 but to me now the 4 cylinder is a simpler and less complicated engine compared to the V6 eTorque. I get the eTorque helps marginally with fuel and smooths out the torque curve at early revs but the 4 cylinder does not have extra electrical complications, its less weight, I assume easier for future electrical modifications, and is of course cheaper.

Either way I am pretty keen on the now available full time 4x4 transfer case, I think this will be ideal in Chicago winter driving, though if anyone advises against also let me know please :)

Any suggestions on what motor to go for would be much appreciated. I have not driven either as they aren't available in Aus, I will get behind a wheel and test drive them in Chicago in a couple of weeks.

Kind of driving: I would be wheeling regularly but not every weekend, some over-landing in the future once everything calms down a bit and I will not be towing regularly either. Won't be used as a daily commuter, main miles/km's will be either driving to family/friends, store runs, or going away hitting the trails!

Cheers.
Sponsored

letank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Cayenne, 2013 SL550 , 2021 JLUR, 2021 992C2S
If you want to re gear from 4.10 to 4.88, will it be an issue having the full time 4x4 transfer case?

OP
OP
AusChicago20

AusChicago20

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I would upgrade to 35s in the future with a moderate 2.5 inch lift so i don't think I will need to re-gear and 4.10 should be more than adequate. But thats a fair question if I did want to go to 4.88

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
I run ridge grappler 35s at 104lbs wheel and tire combo, it’s very possible with the a average weight wheel and with a lighter 37 like a stt pro or ko2 to be well below that. I have never felt a need to rehear at 104lbs .. and I have the 4cyl which by the way has had many issues unrelated to my wheels , electrical, steering, transmission, water pump, and Jeep is buying it back.. I am getting the v6 I had it in my JkU and both of our grand Cherokees, it’s a solid reliable work horse.. wife’s Cherokee toes 6200lbs with the v6 and does it with no problem

OP
OP
AusChicago20

AusChicago20

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I run ridge grappler 35s at 104lbs wheel and tire combo, it’s very possible with the a average weight wheel and with a lighter 37 like a stt pro or ko2 to be well below that. I have never felt a need to rehear at 104lbs .. and I have the 4cyl which by the way has had many issues unrelated to my wheels , electrical, steering, transmission, water pump, and Jeep is buying it back.. I am getting the v6 I had it in my JkU and both of our grand Cherokees, it’s a solid reliable work horse.. wife’s Cherokee toes 6200lbs with the v6 and does it with no problem
Thank you for the feedback, damn that is a hell of a lot to go wrong!! Just confirming your 4 cylinder is the non eTorque version? And assume you getting the V6 etorque, if so have you heard any issues with it or do you have any concerns?

Sponsored

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for the feedback, damn that is a hell of a lot to go wrong!! Just confirming your 4 cylinder is the non eTorque version? And assume you getting the V6 etorque, if so have you heard any issues with it or do you have any concerns?
Yes 2020 non etorque.. the motor never had an issue.. but things around it did, so playing it safe with the v6 this time. Plus turbo lag when you are driving over rocks is not the best... I plan to get the v6 with etorque, my wife’s gc and my jku had the pen star v6 but not etorque.. the v6 with the 8sp transmission really moves the gc well, and we went in a 4500 mile trailer adventure this summer to6 national parks towingaround the 6200lb max and that thing drove straight over the Teton pass, which is hands down the longest steepest grade mountain pass I have ever been on

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
I am running a JLUR 2020 with 2.0 Turbo non- e-torque. I have 15,000 miles on it and drive it every day. Go wheeling when ever I get a chance. I am not a rock crawler but run in the woods, on gravel, in the mud, and in the sand and the 2.0 has been very responsive and absolutely problem free for me. I am not driving a bass boat so a big foot throttle is not require and with good throttle control the turbo is assume.

I have had the V6 in a previous rig and I like the 2.0 better but that's me, others prefer the V6. If at all possible see if you can rent one of each for a few days and use them as you plan to operate the one you purchase and pick the one you think works best for your needs.

Not familiar with the full time 4 wheel drive transfer case but when the weather turns to that white stuff it is not hard to shift to 4 wheel hi and back to 2 wheel hi when the road clears. Not supposed to run at 70 MPH in 4 hi but I have never been brave enough to run 70 on a snow covered road anyway.

As far as re-gearing goes 4.10 gears with the auto will pull the load just fine with 35" tires.

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
Honestly you will need to drive them both. It took me 3 times of back to back driving between the 2 engines to decide, so it was pretty close. I had the V6 in my JKU so I was partial to that. I was going automatic so I liked the pricing better with the 2.0T.

In only my opinion, I liked the familiarity of the V6 and the sound of it better than the 2.0T. The 2.0T felt quicker, but not as smooth as the V6 with automatic. You will read many opinions, so that's why it is best to test them as many times as you need to.

The final thing that put my mind to ease about the V6 with eTorque, was that it has been used in the RAM for a few years now and that the V6 Pentastar with eTorque actually was listed as a top 10 engine on Ward's list the last 2 years now.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly you will need to drive them both. It took me 3 times of back to back driving between the 2 engines to decide, so it was pretty close. I had the V6 in my JKU so I was partial to that. I was going automatic so I liked the pricing better with the 2.0T.

In only my opinion, I liked the familiarity of the V6 and the sound of it better than the 2.0T. The 2.0T felt quicker, but not as smooth as the V6 with automatic. You will read many opinions, so that's why it is best to test them as many times as you need to.

The final thing that put my mind to ease about the V6 with eTorque, was that it has been used in the RAM for a few years now and that the V6 Pentastar with eTorque actually was listed as a top 10 engine on Ward's list the last 2 years now.
I totally agree, a big part of my switching to the six, is the sound.. the 4 banger is loud in idyll and has a turbo jet sound when driving. the lag is jumpy and it's not smooth. It is quick, but turbo lag bugs me.. that was my first turbo vehicle and probably my last.. i don't care for the jump.. also I got terrible gas milage with mine..

OP
OP
AusChicago20

AusChicago20

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I totally agree, a big part of my switching to the six, is the sound.. the 4 banger is loud in idyll and has a turbo jet sound when driving. the lag is jumpy and it's not smooth. It is quick, but turbo lag bugs me.. that was my first turbo vehicle and probably my last.. i don't care for the jump.. also I got terrible gas milage with mine..
Again great feedback and yes definitely seems like we need to drive both and hopefully overnight if possible. I am surprised you got terrible gas milage with the 4 cylinder.

Sponsored

OP
OP
AusChicago20

AusChicago20

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon

Great to hear the V6 eTorque was a ward's list top 10 engine and that it hasn't had problems in the Ram. Whats your view on future resale of it though, for example in 5 years time that battery surely won't have many years in it and will need to be replaced in the near future, can't imagine that is cheap?

Lastly how about future electrical work, say if I want to run a dual battery for a fridge? I know read about someone wiring off the eTorque battery but that does not seem easy haha.

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I debated this same issue as I placed a 2021 JLUR order a few weeks ago.

For me it was between the 2.0 and 3.6. I drove both, liked both. I went in thinking I'd probably buy the v6 but came away purchasing the 2.0T.

For me, the V6 was going to be $1,500 more in cost (with the automatic transmission). So mostly I just figured that since the 2.0 felt fine also, I'd save the$1,500. And I kinda liked how the 2.0 seemed to get up and go a little quicker as I'm mostly just driving around town.

One thing with the 2.0 though is the gas issue. You'll find many threads on that. Basically, 87 octane is fine but premium is recommended for optimal performance with the Turbo engine. Not sure there is a definitive answer on the gas but I did a poll and about 2 out of 3 people seem to run premium with their 2.0T. Doesn't mean you have to though. Just pointing it out and possible using premium could chew up savings over a period of years.

I'm still not sure I made the right choice. But on the flip side, I also already extended my budget with a few options so really didn't want to spend $1,500 more right now either.

Hoping the 2.0T will be fine for me but time will tell.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I debated this same issue as I placed a 2021 JLUR order a few weeks ago.

For me it was between the 2.0 and 3.6. I drove both, liked both. I went in thinking I'd probably buy the v6 but came away purchasing the 2.0T.

For me, the V6 was going to be $1,500 more in cost (with the automatic transmission). So mostly I just figured that since the 2.0 felt fine also, I'd save the$1,500. And I kinda liked how the 2.0 seemed to get up and go a little quicker as I'm mostly just driving around town.

One thing with the 2.0 though is the gas issue. You'll find many threads on that. Basically, 87 octane is fine but premium is recommended for optimal performance with the Turbo engine. Not sure there is a definitive answer on the gas but I did a poll and about 2 out of 3 people seem to run premium with their 2.0T. Doesn't mean you have to though. Just pointing it out and possible using premium could chew up savings over a period of years.

I'm still not sure I made the right choice. But on the flip side, I also already extended my budget with a few options so really didn't want to spend $1,500 more right now either.

Hoping the 2.0T will be fine for me but time will tell.
it's a fine motor, my issues were mainly around other parts of the vehicle.. i could of gone 4cyl again, but had a preffernce to the v6

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
Great to hear the V6 eTorque was a ward's list top 10 engine and that it hasn't had problems in the Ram. Whats your view on future resale of it though, for example in 5 years time that battery surely won't have many years in it and will need to be replaced in the near future, can't imagine that is cheap?

Lastly how about future electrical work, say if I want to run a dual battery for a fridge? I know read about someone wiring off the eTorque battery but that does not seem easy haha.
I am not too worried about the resale right now. I just sold my 2013 JKU for $26k. I bought that Jeep 8 years ago for $28,500. So I am almost ahead already, haha.
But I do think if you need to replace that battery in 8-10 years the cost will be considerably lower then as technology keeps evolving and prices keep dropping due to supply.

OP
OP
AusChicago20

AusChicago20

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I am not too worried about the resale right now. I just sold my 2013 JKU for $26k. I bought that Jeep 8 years ago for $28,500. So I am almost ahead already, haha.
But I do think if you need to replace that battery in 8-10 years the cost will be considerably lower then as technology keeps evolving and prices keep dropping due to supply.
Thanks mate and that further confirms one of the big reasons I like the Rubicon, one of the best resales going around!
Sponsored