Sponsored

2021 order!! 3.6 Pentastar V6 w/ eTorque <OR> 3.0 EcoDiesel??

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R || 2021 Hellayella Rubicon JLU
Before anyone goes here we go again, let me say that we haven't been limited to V6 with the eTorque before...so this is a question I'm having a difficult time resolving myself and nobody seems to have asked opinions on.

So...I'm getting auto. Already have a manual GT350 << avatar. So I want to just chill in my Jeep. But that means no regular 3.6 without eTorque option for me.

Anyway, I plan to do a bit of off-roading, but like a lot of people, most will be on road. A lot of highway with a bit of city. I don't want the diesel for fuel savings, but love the torque it delivers. And the sound is kinda nice as well. Some like it, some don't.

I originally didn't want the EcoDiesel due to some of the issues reported in this forum and elsewhere on the internet.

Now come along 2021 offerings.

- V6 Pentastar ONLY OFFERED with eTorque ...so no way to get it naked without the 48v system.
- Diesel is more torque, has some maintenance expenses, but doesn't have this extra 48v system I didn't really want

So question is, V6 with this eTorque 48v and lithium batteries and electrical complications or EcoDiesel with the "known" extra expenses and better all round performance? What are your thoughts?

Also, I thought to myself...hell, I could just slap a supercharger on the Pentastar for that much extra money. However, I cannot for the life of me find a supercharger option which the Pentastar V6 eTorque combo...so it doesn't seem this would be an option anyway....

Rob
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeeperob

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also, does the eTorque in 3.6 make as much of a difference in terms of driving feel as it does in the 2.0T? I wouldn't think so considering the 3.6 is naturally aspirated....

I also like the sound of the V6. It's no V8 but it does have a nice sound.

It just bothers me that I don't know what kind of headache this eTorque will cause me and with the mandatory eTorque, diesel is now only about $3000-3500 CAD more than the V6 eTorque...hmm

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
I placed an order for 2021. I knew I did not want a 2.0 I will be using my wrangler as a DD and pretty decent off roading. Honestly I am not worried about the 48v e torque system. Most of the problems I have read are with the non etorque aux batteries. The 48v system is warrantied for 8 years. If the battery fails after that and I have to buy a expensive replacement, well so be it. I considered a diesel, but I just decided I didn't want one. I would say I am ignorant to diesels, but everyone I know that has one seem to always have expensive maintenance and repairs.
I think there is alot of resistance to the etorque system just based on lack of knowledge, but they run it in their ram trucks and a coworker has had zero issues with it.

CaseOfAle

First Name
ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 981S, 19JLUS
- V6 Pentastar ONLY OFFERED with eTorque ...so no way to get it naked without the 48v system.
- Diesel is more torque, has some maintenance expenses, but doesn't have this extra 48v system I didn't really want

So question is, V6 with this eTorque 48v and lithium batteries and electrical complications or EcoDiesel with the "known" extra expenses and better all round performance? What are your thoughts?

Rob
What are you trying to start here Rob?? The debate and discussion that follows surely follows Dadgummits axiom

**Spoiler Alert**

If they are a JL owner:
If someone chose the v6 instead of the turbo they will explain that the v6 is the best engine ever produced and that the 2.0 sucks.

If someone chose the 2.0 instead of the v6 they will explain that the 2.0 is the best engine ever produced and that the v6 sucks.

If they have not purchased yet:
If someone doesn't like new technology they will say chose the v6 and tell you the turbo sucks.

If someone likes new technology they will say chose the turbo and tell you the v6 sucks.

I just saved you hours of reading!!

OP
OP
Jeeperob

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What are you trying to start here Rob?? The debate and discussion that follows surely follows Dadgummits axiom
I don’t see how that’s relevant. I’m not speaking of new technology vs no technology, but 2 engines which could potentially cost more money than the road vs a regular 3.6. Plus, a regular v6 has plenty of tech already, allll new engines do so that’s just not a valid consideration.

It’s really the point of eTorque being a forced option with the auto and the price points of the diesel being closer to the v6 because of the eTorque.

So I’m paying for an “option” that I could do without, but I wanted the v6 To begin with or buy a diesel and pay more for maintenance but get the benefits of the diesel.

fyi, I work with computers every day of my life developing web applications so tech is kinda my thing.

Sponsored

HappyJeeper

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '09 Tundra 5.7 4x4, '21 Prius
Occupation
Soils engineering/geology
Are you planning on lifting and getting bigger tires?
If so the diesel will allow bigger tires without noticeable power loss. No need to regear.

I have the diesel, 2.5" lift and 37s. My first diesel ever. I love it!

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 order!!  3.6 Pentastar V6 w/ eTorque <OR> 3.0 EcoDiesel?? IMG_1626

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 order!!  3.6 Pentastar V6 w/ eTorque <OR> 3.0 EcoDiesel?? IMG_1568

OP
OP
Jeeperob

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you planning on lifting and getting bigger tires?
If so the diesel will allow bigger tires without noticeable power loss. No need to regear.

I have the diesel, 2.5" lift and 37s. My first diesel ever. I love it!

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 order!!  3.6 Pentastar V6 w/ eTorque <OR> 3.0 EcoDiesel?? IMG_1568

well, I’ve never had a jeep either lol. I can’t say that I wouldn’t mount larger tires.

It’s basically complications or issues with 3.6 plus eTorque vs complications plus maintenance of the diesel...it’s a gamble lol, not sure which is the better option. I like both for different reasons.

Socks

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon Hardrock
I don’t see how that’s relevant. I’m not speaking of new technology vs no technology, but 2 engines which could potentially cost more money than the road vs a regular 3.6. Plus, a regular v6 has plenty of tech already, allll new engines do so that’s just not a valid consideration.

It’s really the point of eTorque being a forced option with the auto and the price points of the diesel being closer to the v6 because of the eTorque.

So I’m paying for an “option” that I could do without, but I wanted the v6 To begin with or buy a diesel and pay more for maintenance but get the benefits of the diesel.

fyi, I work with computers every day of my life developing web applications so tech is kinda my thing.
I won't have the etorque...period. Dont care don't want it. With that being said, my choice in a four door is 3.6 liter Pentastar and the 6-speed manual or the diesel. So its a either a diesel Unlimited Rubicon or a Gladiator Rubicon diesel.

Sponsored

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Livernois now offfers a tune for the 3.6L. On E85 its a 50hp bump for $750. You send in your PCM so they can crack it.

OP
OP
Jeeperob

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, stupid me. I decided to review the order guide again and came across this:

DHF: 4:1 ROCK-TRAC HD FULL TIME 4WD SYS

M/H DFT; N/A W/DEM; N/A W/DFV; N/A W/EXJ

DFT = 850RE automatic (Must have this, which is the Pentastar V6 auto w/eTorque or the 2.0T without eTorque)

DFV = 875RE automatic

EXJ = EcoDiesel 3.0

Due to my northern location (Canada) and the snow we get 4:1 full time rock-trac was an option I wanted. So I guess this kind of decides for me.

I guess the diesel is too much torque for the CV joints that would go with the full time system?

R

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Well, stupid me. I decided to review the order guide again and came across this:

DHF: 4:1 ROCK-TRAC HD FULL TIME 4WD SYS

M/H DFT; N/A W/DEM; N/A W/DFV; N/A W/EXJ

DFT = 850RE automatic (Must have this, which is the Pentastar V6 auto w/eTorque or the 2.0T without eTorque)

DFV = 875RE automatic

EXJ = EcoDiesel 3.0

Due to my northern location (Canada) and the snow we get 4:1 full time rock-trac was an option I wanted. So I guess this kind of decides for me.

I guess the diesel is too much torque for the CV joints that would go with the full time system?

R
I'd give up, "full time 4WD" and get the diesel, it isn't that difficult to pull a lever and be in 4H. Now cold+diesel can be a pain, but I don't know how cold it gets where you are. When diesel gels its nnnooooo fun.

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
Since you are looking at getting a Rubicon, i would assume you will love it and.... if you are lucky, you settle and only lift it 3" and with 37's.....

However, if you aren't lucky and love it to much and tell yourself that you NEED 40" tires with 5" lift... then no gas engine will work for you and you will be much much happier with the diesel!

So save yourself the headache and get the diesel i would say :/ plus the resale value on the diesel is amazing!

OP
OP
Jeeperob

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd give up, "full time 4WD" and get the diesel, it isn't that difficult to pull a lever and be in 4H. Now cold+diesel can be a pain, but I don't know how cold it gets where you are. When diesel gels its nnnooooo fun.
hmm, you’re the first to mention this. Hmm, well where I am it can get down to -30°C (-22°F), it’s rare but does happen when a cold front moves in.

I’ve just googled this “gelling” and it seems as though fuel stations in my area switch to a winter blend for diesel but nowhere can I find how cold this “winter blend” can go. It also seems that some still put cold weather additives in their diesel — is this necessary with winter formulations?

r
Sponsored