Sponsored

2021 or wait for 2022. Lease due soon. What's new for 22???

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
My lease on my 19 Wrangler JLU is coming due in a few months. I almost never finance or lease something a second time again but I LOVE my Wrangler. I don't want to take a chance on a first year Bronco, and I've had 9 Jeeps in my life and nothing ever makes me happier. So do I get a 21, or wait until the 22 model year. What's changing for 22?. Does ANYONE have any idea?. I don't want to get a 21 and find out that something incredible arrives for 22. Mid cycle refresh?.
Sponsored

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
22 seems early for the mid cycle refresh. Hard to say what incremental changes there might be other than obviously new colors. Maybe uconnect 5? Although I wonder if they will be holding that back to be part of the mid cycle.

My lease is also up this summer. Personally, I'm planning on going 4xe, so that should scratch the "new stuff" itch for me. Heh.

If you wait for 22, what would you do in the meantime after your lease is up?

OP
OP
GGolds

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
22 seems early for the mid cycle refresh. Hard to say what incremental changes there might be other than obviously new colors. Maybe uconnect 5? Although I wonder if they will be holding that back to be part of the mid cycle.

My lease is also up this summer. Personally, I'm planning on going 4xe, so that should scratch the "new stuff" itch for me. Heh.

If you wait for 22, what would you do in the meantime after your lease is up?
Probably just pay month to month for a few months if I can. Sometimes they are good about that. If not, then Ill just get a 21. I like the 4xe and was thinking about that, but its pricey. Maybe now that you mention it I may check that out. Thanks.

rikity

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I havent heard of any changes for 22, they always do some minor tweaks though. Like the CV Joins on the front of the 21's

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I havent heard of any changes for 22, they always do some minor tweaks though. Like the CV Joins on the front of the 21's
Only for the full time 4wd tcase I think.

But yeah, always safer to get a '22 just from a depreciation standpoint. So if you can swing that, do it. I bought my '21 JLR and '21 JTRD since I knew they were both going to be long term. I don't think we'll see much of a mid cycle refresh anyway. It'll likely be minor like the TJ as opposed to how drastic the JK was in '11/'12.

Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I’m almost certain Uconnect 5 will not come u til at least the refresh, considering what a big change it is, being android based and all. It requires many other technological changes to be completed in the jeep in order to make it all work with the new Uconnect 5

that said, I’m also very curious what changes 22 will bring. For example, how the 2021MY brought the off road plus button and the full time 4 wheel drive option.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m almost certain Uconnect 5 will not come u til at least the refresh, considering what a big change it is, being android based and all. It requires many other technological changes to be completed in the jeep in order to make it all work with the new Uconnect 5

that said, I’m also very curious what changes 22 will bring. For example, how the 2021MY brought the off road plus button and the full time 4 wheel drive option.
Yep, have both of those in my '21. Great changes. Love the full time option for the wife when we drive up through snowy areas. The throttle/trans remaps are nice for offroad+.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The mid-cycle refresh should come out on the 2023s starting in late 2022.

If JK refresh is any indication, we should expect more interior refinements, a few powertrain changes, new wheels and new colors.

The new boss of Stellantis already announced that he plans to increase FCA’s profit margin from the current 5.5% to PSA’s 7.5% by end of year. And he has a track record for doing what he says and delivering by the deadline.

My guess is he already has a team reviewing all existing models and looking for rationalization opportunities. I wouldn’t be surprised if Wrangler and Gladiator’s dozen trim levels get pared down to four or five —e.g., Sport, Willys, Sahara and Rubicon— and options are bundled into fewer packages with more content. There may be more sharing of fenders, grilles and bumpers. These steps alone would reduce production complexity, lower costs and improve assembly quality.

If they find that they need to make the value to customers more obvious, some items like LEDs and 8.4 may be made standard on higher trims.

Another area waiting to get decided might be picking either the 3.6 V6 or the 2.0T, and ditching the other. The HP, torque and MPG numbers of the two are too close to keep both engines.

Wrangler and Gladiator may also be brought into closer alignment in terms of colors, trims and options.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The mid-cycle refresh should come out on the 2023s starting in late 2022.

If JK refresh is any indication, we should expect more interior refinements, a few powertrain changes, new wheels and new colors.

The new boss of Stellantis already announced that he plans to increase FCA’s profit margin from the current 5.5% to PSA’s 7.5% by end of year. And he has a track record for doing what he says and delivering by the deadline.

My guess is he already has a team reviewing all existing models and looking for rationalization opportunities. I wouldn’t be surprised if Wrangler and Gladiator’s dozen trim levels get pared down to four or five —e.g., Sport, Willys, Sahara and Rubicon— and options are bundled into fewer packages with more content. There may be more sharing of fenders, grilles and bumpers. These steps alone would reduce production complexity, lower costs and improve assembly quality.

If they find that they need to make the value to customers more obvious, some items like LEDs and 8.4 may be made standard on higher trims.

Another area waiting to get decided might be picking either the 3.6 V6 or the 2.0T, and ditching the other. The HP, torque and MPG numbers of the two are too close to keep both engines.

Wrangler and Gladiator may also be brought into closer alignment in terms of colors, trims and options.
Agreed. Though JK refresh was an entire overhaul. Almost like a new vehicle. I'm not expecting that much. Maybe Uconnect and some minor enhancements, along with as you said -- trimming down the models/powertrain options.

On one hand, I thought the 2.0 was better for passing emissions requirements in other countries compared to the 3.6 -- but we know the 3.6 is still the favored engine. So I have no idea what they will do to pare down engine options.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed. Though JK refresh was an entire overhaul. Almost like a new vehicle. I'm not expecting that much. Maybe Uconnect and some minor enhancements, along with as you said -- trimming down the models/powertrain options.

I'd actually expect them to ditch the 3.6, but we'll see.
The decision between the 2.0T and 3.6 V6 will likely include a review of manufacturing and warranty costs, carbon footprint, overlap with similar motors available on the PSA arsenal —my guess is PSA might have an engine that overlaps with the 2.0T; does it make sense to standardize one engine across JL and JT, etc.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The decision between the 2.0T and 3.6 V6 will likely include a review of manufacturing and warranty costs, carbon footprint, similar motors available on the PSA arsenal, does it make sense to standardize one engine across JL and JT, etc.
Yep. I generally agree we don't need both engine options. The 3.6 is quite ancient at this point. The 2.0 isn't really that new either other than in this platform.

OP
OP
GGolds

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Paramedic
Any reason not to buy what you have, why keep on jumping and constantly pay exponentially higher depreciation with new vehicle?
Because, it's insane to buy out a lease. During the lease you have a full warranty, full maintenance, no repair bills. Although I love Jeeps, I'm not taking any chances on issues in the long run. Just like anything, when the warranty is up, that's when problems start. When you buy out a lease, you continue to pay the full payment until the vehicle is paid off. Another 3 years or so. That payment along with no bumper to bumper warranty makes no sense. By the time the loan in fully paid the vehicle is falling apart. You pay either way, but I'd rather pay less upfront and end up with a known entity. One payment no problems.

ChromeToaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JL Rubicon, 03 Honda XR650L
Because, it's insane to buy out a lease. During the lease you have a full warranty, full maintenance, no repair bills. Although I love Jeeps, I'm not taking any chances on issues in the long run. Just like anything, when the warranty is up, that's when problems start. When you buy out a lease, you continue to pay the full payment until the vehicle is paid off. Another 3 years or so. That payment along with no bumper to bumper warranty makes no sense. By the time the loan in fully paid the vehicle is falling apart. You pay either way, but I'd rather pay less upfront and end up with a known entity. One payment no problems.
my previous daily driver was a 2000 Ford Ranger that had been outside of warranty since I was like 3 years old. I put over 80,000 miles on it in about 4 years (had 176,000 miles total) and it had the original clutch, engine, trans, even the original timing belt till 156k miles and never left me stranded didn't burn or leak anything and overall was a great little truck. I also just sold it for over $600 more than what was paid for it back in 2016. If you lease vehicles your entire life you'll be spending the same amount of money as someone who had to repair major components and then some. Just buy a new 21. just my $0.02...

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Yep, have both of those in my '21. Great changes. Love the full time option for the wife when we drive up through snowy areas. The throttle/trans remaps are nice for offroad+.
Would any of you possibly know whether the transfer case in these new rubicon full time 4wd systems uses a clutch system or a planetary gear system to differentiate the speed between the front and rear driveshafts?
Sponsored