Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sarge Green Willy's Unlimited
Occupation
Helicopter piloting computer nerd
Good Morning,
First off thank you everyone who has contributed to this site! I have been lurking for many months as I went through the ordering process.

My issue is that I have a battery drain that if the Jeep sits for 24 hours or so the voltage drops to ~9.5v. (This is with an Aux battery installed as well).
  • I am not 100%, but I believe this has only happened since I took the doors off
    • With doors off the radio no longer turns off (I manually turned it off thinking that was the issue).
    • This may be the last week of good weather, but will test with putting the doors back on.
  • I discovered last night that the info screen in the dash never turns off (with the doors off).
    • Even after using the fob to lock the doors (you can see the red security light flashing).
    • I left my fob 27 floors above the garage it was parked in and came down ~3 hours after locking to take the photo below:
    • Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 Manual Trans Willy's Unlimited Battery Drain with Doors off dash
  • I have installed Insane Audio's JL3001, but everything worked fine for the 48 hours it was installed and all doors were on.
I will email Insane Audio to see if they have heard of this. With the manual transmission I have a variable most people do not have to contend with.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Have a great week!
~Sean
Sponsored

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
Interesting. There seem to be some real bugs in the system when the doors come off. There are several threads on losing radio until you toggle to AM and back to your choice of input and separately a significant decrease in volume if you throw an automatic into reverse before allowing enough time to boot up. None of the above have been fixed yet. I have yet to see one where the system stays on like this. Maybe have the dealer start with a flash and Uconnect updates and make sure the fuses are all seated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
STL_Sean

STL_Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Got home tonight and only had to put the driver's door on to confirm that everything works fine with the door on. Another difference, the OFF - ACC - ON ring around the starter stays lit (in the OFF position when I leave the Jeep) at all times with the doors off, and with the doors on it eventually shuts off.

I guess at this point I will contact the Dealer. It will really suck that I can't have the doors off and let it sit for more than a day without the battery dying.

Sidenote: At lunch I pulled fuses 97 & 11. It turned everything off, but the next time I ran it then shut down I was back to the screen staying up and the radio not powering down.

OP
OP
STL_Sean

STL_Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Welp... I heard back from InsaneAudio (credit to them, they have responded within hours of any email sent at a reasonable time of day).

They told me to check the head unit's power-off setting. Ensure I had chosen ACC (and not ACC + Door). I started an email right back to let them know yes, yes, I already switched that, but then I was like what the hell, I will go double-check.

Sure enough, it was still on ACC + Door. a flip of that digital switch and voila...! (I had reset the unit to factory at some point to fix an issue and forgot to go over those settings.

I am sure none of you have chased an easy fix for a few days... ;):facepalm:

On the plus side I am really getting to know this head unit. If anyone has questions about InsaneAudio feel free to reach out!
Sponsored