Sponsored

2021 JLURD diesel overflow leak

drick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR & 2021 JLURD
Did a search, didn't get any hits on this.

I have a 2021 JLURD that has developed a new and annoying challenge. When filling the tank i am getting significant leakage / overflow exiting over the rear tire. This started when the shop installed the MetalCloak inner fender liners and the AFE exhaust, but they tore everything back down again and can't figure out where it is coming from.

Has anyone else seen this previously?

Repeatable issue -

Gas tank down any amount (seen as low as 1/4 as high as 3/4)
Fill via standard dispenser (i.e. green pump, start filling and lock auto fill handle)
Diesel starts leaking down the inside of the rear passenger fender liner onto the shock tower - amount somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 cup

TIA
D
Sponsored

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Plus A8 & F8 Green
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
I’m guessing the diesel uses capless fill?

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Diesel starts leaking down the inside of the rear passenger fender liner onto the shock tower - amount somewhere in the neighborhood of 1 cup
Fill is on driver.
Leak is on passenger?

I’m guessing the diesel uses capless fill?
Standard cap.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
It seems fairly obvious that you are going to need to drop the fuel tank and repair whatever it is. If you're lucky, a hose came loose from the vent. If you're unlucky, they drilled a hole in your fuel tank.

Sponsored

OP
OP
drick

drick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR & 2021 JLURD
It seems fairly obvious that you are going to need to drop the fuel tank and repair whatever it is. If you're lucky, a hose came loose from the vent. If you're unlucky, they drilled a hole in your fuel tank.
the crazy part is that the tank doesn't go that far over (diesel tanks are way smaller than gas tanks).

my current theory is some sort of breather hose or overflow valve got punched when they did the inner fender liners

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
the crazy part is that the tank doesn't go that far over (diesel tanks are way smaller than gas tanks).

my current theory is some sort of breather hose or overflow valve got punched when they did the inner fender liners
Just get up in there and find it.

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
This is what is behind your passenger rear inner fender. Looks like a breather line or overflow for the fuel tank to me.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 JLURD diesel overflow leak 20211204_133332

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 JLURD diesel overflow leak 20211204_133352

OP
OP
drick

drick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR & 2021 JLURD
Quick update on this.

One took it back to the local shop and had the owner look at it this time. They state that there are no holes in the lines and everything is as it was when the rig came in. Next step is to get it into the dealership post holiday break to take a look at it.

In other interesting news, shop suggested filling it slower (i.e. instead of starting the gas pump and locking it into the fastest fill position, use the slowest). I tried this twice on road trip this weekend and either the problem doesn't manifest itself, or the leak is so small it's not flowing through the fender liner.

Sooo, not sure where this leaves me - but i thought maybe others would find this useful...

OP
OP
drick

drick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR & 2021 JLURD
This is what is behind your passenger rear inner fender. Looks like a breather line or overflow for the fuel tank to me.

Thank you again for sending these pictures. This combined with the video of the leak told the shop exactly what to look for.

Really appreciate you sharing!

Sponsored

OP
OP
drick

drick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR & 2021 JLURD
did you get this issue resolved?
what was the cure?
yes i did, just forgot to post it here (sorry)

second trip back to Ram dealership (i cant take to Jeep as they have no clue how to work on diesels) it was determined that the fuel pump was defective. this apparently sits right behind the fill cap, so they replaced both and everything now works correctly.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
thanks for the update; very interesting.
i'm guessing you're referring to the "Fuel Pump/Module"?
if so, that's the one part that i had to wait for for 2.5 months when my CP4 ate itself; i hope you got yours in a more timely manner!

yes i did, just forgot to post it here (sorry)

second trip back to Ram dealership (i cant take to Jeep as they have no clue how to work on diesels) it was determined that the fuel pump was defective. this apparently sits right behind the fill cap, so they replaced both and everything now works correctly.

OP
OP
drick

drick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR & 2021 JLURD
thanks for the update; very interesting.
i'm guessing you're referring to the "Fuel Pump/Module"?
if so, that's the one part that i had to wait for for 2.5 months when my CP4 ate itself; i hope you got yours in a more timely manner!
would have to go back to the dealership invoice to confirm, but that sounds right.

interestingly enough, i only had to wait 2-3 days when it was done for me. having said that, the whole global supply chain has gone batshit since then - so YMMV

OP
OP
drick

drick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR & 2021 JLURD
interesting update on this - fill problem is now popping back up again. in certain stations where we fill up, it is now doing the click off / full thing again. this is addressed with turning the handle upside down and filling manually, but wondering if this is going to result in the fuel tank getting replaced which was the next step per dealership.

luckily, not dumping fuel again - yet (which at 5$ + per gallon these days, is a problem)
Sponsored