Sponsored

2021 JLUR Manual Transmission Starting in 1st gear tips?

JLTraveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR MT
Hey guys - I'm a week into my new jeep. I have years of manual transmission driving experience and my immediate car just before the jeep was also a standard. I like to start in 1st gear at idling rpms whenever possible to be nice to my clutch, but I am finding that difficult in the jeep. When the jeep starts and engine is warming up, idling is around 1500-2000 rpm (I think) and getting off the line is easy at that rpm if not a bit too quick. After the jeep is warm, idling is around 500-700 rpm (i think) and getting off the line is pretty tough - especially if their is even a slight incline. On flat ground, I have been feathering the gas to get to about 1000-1500 rpm, and that seems to do the trick. On even a slight incline, I seem to have to get to 2000-2500 rpm. Is this what I should expect and okay for the jeep clutch, or can I improve my technique? would love to hear from other row your own'ers here.
Thanks!
Sponsored

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
My JK was a manual. I always had to give it a bit of gas to get going unless I was just creeping into a parking spot or in 4lo. Just not enough torque at idle in high range to get it going.

DarkAardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ, 2021 JLR
This engine doesn't have a ton of low end power, so you're gonna have to give it some gas to get moving, unless you're in 4LO

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I wasn’t even aware that there was another way to drive a manual transmission. I suppose that’s the benefit of only ever having driven wranglers.

MauiSteve

First Name
Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
Our 21 JLR 3.6 manual was a bit touchy at first, I even started in second for a bit on flat ground. as time has passed it seems the clutch smoothed out and our hands and feet have gotten accustomed to the setup so things are much better. It’s a lot better now. Side note, we have a 14% driveway that I idle up in 1st gear low range, I don’t touch the gas at all. Fun.

Sponsored

KeithM

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 06 Duramax, e39 Touring
Occupation
Software
Just know it will get better and it took many of us some time to achieve perfection. Probably 20k miles for me...

Some of it might be skill but I think a lot of it is just things breaking in. I can take off without touching the gas up inclines which was nearly impossible when new. I also switched to 89 because of some low rpm pinging, not certain if it helped with drivability but things got better during that time period. I also just stopped babying it.

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
I feel like your slipping the clutch even more if your trying to take off without giving it gas. I’m pretty much always pushing the throttle when I take off, just not very much.
the faster you can get the clutch engaged the less slipping and consequently less wear and tear.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
It’s not an 18 wheeler. I’m not trying to pick a fight or insult the OP, or the other dude that takes off in 2nd gear but it’s guys like you that get us pulled in for these exploding clutch recalls.
Now we’re having our engines restricted.

JLRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
It’s normal.

Took me a while to get use to the clutch also, I chalk it up to the electronic throttle, aftermarket has a fix to speed up the lag if it bothers you, I just start on the gas a little before the clutch now not a huge deal.

The clutch’s sweet spot it pretty high in the pedal release, but is gradual. On level ground I am able to slowly (rly slowly) let out the clutch with no gas in 1st without a stall (running 3.45 on 35”). Spend more time with it, you get a hang of it.

Also, make sure you have your brake assist on, not huge, but it helps.

Jeep1967

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JL, 2008 Sahara JK, 2000 Sport TJ, 1995 Sport YJ
I think you probably just need to get used to it. I’ve never started in second. More harm than good. I had a 2008 JK prior to the JL. Now That was a hard to learn clutch. I wish I had a dollar for every time I stalled that Jeep. But I eventually got used to it.

Sponsored

JohnT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
4-minutemiles.weebly.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
Hey guys - I'm a week into my new jeep. I have years of manual transmission driving experience and my immediate car just before the jeep was also a standard. I like to start in 1st gear at idling rpms whenever possible to be nice to my clutch, but I am finding that difficult in the jeep. When the jeep starts and engine is warming up, idling is around 1500-2000 rpm (I think) and getting off the line is easy at that rpm if not a bit too quick. After the jeep is warm, idling is around 500-700 rpm (i think) and getting off the line is pretty tough - especially if their is even a slight incline. On flat ground, I have been feathering the gas to get to about 1000-1500 rpm, and that seems to do the trick. On even a slight incline, I seem to have to get to 2000-2500 rpm. Is this what I should expect and okay for the jeep clutch, or can I improve my technique? would love to hear from other row your own'ers here.
Thanks!
It took me a year and I am still feeling like I'm driving a stick for the first time (and I'm like you - always had a manual). There seems to be a bit of peakiness around 1800 to 2200 with a complete lack of torque at 1000 and that region that screws you up . I spent a year either stalling or jackrabbit-ing at lights. You will eventually get the feel. I give it a bit of a throttle tap then start letting the clutch out... sounds a bit boy-racer, but it works.

Glad I am not the only one who noticed that,

OP
OP

JLTraveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR MT
Thanks I’ll try out these tips. Have any of you guys tried the pedal calibration trick I read about and does that help?

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
Had my JLUR for a month now and put about 1000 miles. First day felt like a novice stalling when bringing clutch up at idle. Read up on our dual disc setup and figured out its like a 2 step process. Initial bite of the first disc to get jeep rolling and full grab when 2nd disc hits.

On steep inclines I bring it to about 1500rpm and once I feel first bite and it starts rolling I bringing it all the way.

Took practice and I still jerk at times when I'm in a rush but no more stalling.

Reverse is crazy high though., what wear they thinking lol

MauiSteve

First Name
Stephen Rodgers
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 door, 2018 Colorado ZR2, 2009 Honda Ruckus, 1973 Honda CB750
Occupation
Mostly retired
I no longer start in second gear, the clutch works fine, mostly because I got familiar with the feel.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
I agree with the majority of other posters, "you'll get used to it". I'm still not a fan of how the JLU Sport is geared and see new gears in my future once the warranty is over. I had second thoughts about getting the 6MT on the JLU Sport for about the first two weeks. After a month, I got mostly used to the clutch, and love it.
Sponsored