2021 JLUR Hard to Shift 1-2

fspalt

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I’ve got a new 2021 JLUR built middle of October. I have about 800 miles on it. Drove a JK manual sport for 6 years prior. I’m having problems shifting from 1-2. Shift slow and at low speed seems ok most of the time. But accelerating or trying to pull out into traffic it seems to get stuck in first. It’s like I’m trying to pull it out of gear without pushing in the clutch even though I’m making sure to fully depress it. Pushing it in slower causes and the revs jump to match the driveline. I figured waiting until now all the issues with the manual had been worked out. Can anyone else that had the issues with the recall give me any insight? I’ve read that things get smoother after breaking but this seems more than just notchy shifts.
Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Is it due to rev hang?

OP
OP

fspalt

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I don’t think so. I get the resistance when I pull out of 1.

Luxy60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Willys 4xe, '17 Subaru Crosstrek
If you blip the throttle does it help?

OP
OP

fspalt

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Blip it when? Say I’m pulling out into traffic and try to get up to 40mph. I try to shift at around 15mph as in the book. Push in the clutch not race car but quick enough. Go to pull out of first and there is resistance and I can hear a clunk. Goes into 2nd ok.

Sponsored

OP
OP

fspalt

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Anyone else? I'm trying to see if its worth waiting to see if it will smooth out or I should take it in now. I don't want to burn up the clutch.

Anthony120

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR 2-door
I get the same feeling you get occasionally. I made a family friend drive it out who has been a mechanic for 30+ years and he said the feeling is the synchro rings meshing. Thats the major downfall of the rev hang the JL's have, that 1-2 change needs to be done while avoiding it if not the rings do not line mesh smoothly. Pair that with how short 1st gear is, you have a situation where under acceleration the rpms in 1st need to drop drastically to "synch" to 2nd gear. I typically wait a split second from when the clutch is depressed in first to pull back to 2nd gear.

P.S. I also installed the B&M short throw shifter and I can not recommend it enough to any manual JL owner.

OP
OP

fspalt

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Did the B/M shifter help with that issue or did it make shifting smoother for you? Compared to my JK the throws already seem alot shorter.

Anthony120

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR 2-door
Did the B/M shifter help with that issue or did it make shifting smoother for you? Compared to my JK the throws already seem alot shorter.
I installed it around the same time I was getting used to driving the JL so I am not sure if it was the shifter or me. If you go in to warranty it, please let me know if it is actually an issue or just how the transmissions are built. I have been wanting to drive another manual JL to compare but unfortunately they are quite rare.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Specifically it is coming OUT of 1st giving you an issue, not INTO 2nd? If so, maybe the clutch needs to be bleed. If it is out of 1st ok, but struggling to 2nd I’d suspect the synchro more.
The bleed might be an easy thing to do and see if it helps.
I shift with very little pressure on the stick, so it is possible the feeling you get is normal. I have paranoia about wearing out my synchros, so I may not be feeling it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

fspalt

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Drove another Rubicon manual while waiting for my first oil change today. The one on the lot felt a lot easier to shift from 1-2. I also have the issue in this thread where the guys posts a video of the RPM surging to 1500rpm when letting out the clutch with no gas. The one on the lot would hold at 1000 after letting off the clutch. I’m really thinking that the clutch is still partially engaged when shifting.

OP
OP

fspalt

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Drove another Rubicon manual while waiting for my first oil change today. The one on the lot felt a lot easier to shift from 1-2. I also have the issue in this thread where the guys posts a video of the RPM surging to 1500rpm when letting out the clutch with no gas. The one on the lot would hold at 1000 after letting off the clutch. I’m really thinking that the clutch is still partially engaged when shifting.
Thread for throttle surge.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/2021-jl-throttle-surge-manual-trans.73586/

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I’ve got a new 2021 JLUR built middle of October. I have about 800 miles on it. Drove a JK manual sport for 6 years prior. I’m having problems shifting from 1-2. Shift slow and at low speed seems ok most of the time. But accelerating or trying to pull out into traffic it seems to get stuck in first. It’s like I’m trying to pull it out of gear without pushing in the clutch even though I’m making sure to fully depress it. Pushing it in slower causes and the revs jump to match the driveline. I figured waiting until now all the issues with the manual had been worked out. Can anyone else that had the issues with the recall give me any insight? I’ve read that things get smoother after breaking but this seems more than just notchy shifts.
I don't have difficulty going from 1st to 2nd but at speed higher than 12 mph, shifting from 1-2 feels like I am driving bus with that clunk sound down under. Subsequent upshifts are silent.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
When I took out for a drive this morning, I tried to observe a little more closely on the noisy shift between 1st and 2nd.
The sound is not coming when I shift. The sound comes before the shift happens - after I press the clutch.
Happens only when the rpm is above 2500 or speed above 10 mph. If I try to shift below this speed or rpm reached it is a very silent shift. No problem in any other gear.
Is it because it is a very short/granny gear? Is it normal?
I am going on Tuesday to see what the dealer says but if others are having the same issue and its normal, I will cancel the dealer appointment.
Sponsored