Extremneon

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
ok maybe im just new to this but this seems a bit nuts
What was wrong with the Mopar lift and 37's like so many others? Why all this extra gear?
And another thing I never understood, why spend the money on a rubicon to tear it all apart and throw it all away. Why not just buy a sport since you are replacing damn near everything?

I bought my first Jeep Rubicon Diesel literally last night so im actually asking not being a wise guy :)
There is nothing wrong with a Mopar lift and 37" tires... I am just the other extreme when it comes to vehicle modifications, it is a hobby for me. I enjoy the garage time and turning the vehicle into something else.

But.. you are right. A cheaper route would be a lower model Jeep and gut the transfer case, axles etc and start from there. But not going for money savings... lol... and I wanted to start with a true Rubicon.
Sponsored

Bobbys

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
There is nothing wrong with a Mopar lift and 37" tires... I am just the other extreme when it comes to vehicle modifications, it is a hobby for me. I enjoy the garage time and turning the vehicle into something else.

But.. you are right. A cheaper route would be a lower model Jeep and gut the transfer case, axles etc and start from there. But not going for money savings... lol... and I wanted to start with a true Rubicon.
So when it’s all said and done how will this be more capable then a stock rubicon with a mopar
Lift and 37’s with a re gear?

OP
OP
Extremneon

Extremneon

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So when it’s all said and done how will this be more capable then a stock rubicon with a mopar
Lift and 37’s with a re gear?
My plan is full coilover setup with long arms and triple bypass shocks in the front. This setup will provide more travel and better adjustments than a stand alone spring and shock setup life the Mopar lift. Not to mention the Mall Crawler status.. lol... can't forget that.

The axle upgrade are just that, to allow me to be able to run 37" tires on and offroad with more confidence than just stock axle designed for stock Jeep tire size. Will I stay on thr Dana 44 axles.. who knows, might upgrade in the future and somebody will get a good deal on modified Rubicon axle set.

The other mods are basically cosmetic and appearance mods. Some offer some benefits to the offroad like approach angles, protection, recovery, etc.. but it is taste for most.

GSLSE21B

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jLURD
What was wrong with the Mopar lift and 37's like so many others? Why all this extra gear?
And another thing I never understood, why spend the money on a rubicon to tear it all apart and throw it all away. Why not just buy a sport since you are replacing damn near everything?

I bought my first Jeep Rubicon Diesel literally last night so im actually asking not being a wise guy :)
I paid just over 50k for my loaded rubicon and sold the the suspension wheels and axles for 6k . Now I have a loaded loaded 2021 rubicon diesel on one tons and 40s for less than MSRP 👍

Bobbys

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Interesting info, so another question for you, I have read in many places that 37’s don’t require new axles. Is that not true?

Sponsored

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel

Well the mopar lift is bare bones, not even a complete lift really. Considering it doesn't include adjustable trackbars, only has front LCA's, the LCA's themselves are only .090 thick material and 100% will bend and deform when banging on rocks, they have standard bushings in the joints which will fail over time, etc. It is plenty enough for many, hell most. But for those who really wheel their rigs, they will quickly find the limitations of the mopar lift.

I hear you on the sport vs rubicon thing but going with a rubicon gets you other things that modifying a sport won't. You can install lockers on a sport, but it won't be covered under factory warranty. A modified sport won't have the 4:1 tcase unless you atlas swap it. You can actually sell the stock rubicon axles and wheels/tires for decent money if you decide to 1 ton swap or go to aftermarket wheels/bigger tires. Electric swaybar disconnect is awfully convenient as well.

Bobbys

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Well the mopar lift is bare bones, not even a complete lift really. Considering it doesn't include adjustable trackbars, only has front LCA's, the LCA's themselves are only .090 thick material and 100% will bend and deform when banging on rocks, they have standard bushings in the joints which will fail over time, etc. It is plenty enough for many, hell most. But for those who really wheel their rigs, they will quickly find the limitations of the mopar lift.

I hear you on the sport vs rubicon thing but going with a rubicon gets you other things that modifying a sport won't. You can install lockers on a sport, but it won't be covered under factory warranty. A modified sport won't have the 4:1 tcase unless you atlas swap it. You can actually sell the stock rubicon axles and wheels/tires for decent money if you decide to 1 ton swap or go to aftermarket wheels/bigger tires. Electric swaybar disconnect is awfully convenient as well.
Cool thanks for the info
I’m surprised to hear negative things a about the mopar lift given it’s popular and positive feedback from others

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
Cool thanks for the info
I’m surprised to hear negative things a about the mopar lift given it’s popular and positive feedback from others
It's not negative per se, I didn't really mean it to be. As I said for the vast majority it will be more than fine. However if you plan on wheeling it hard, like banging rocks hard or where you need maximum articulation, look for a more beefy kit with better suited joints. Also make sure to budget for the trackbars if going with any kit that doesn't include them. Keeping the axle centered as possible is always a nice thing.

Bobbys

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
It's not negative per se, I didn't really mean it to be. As I said for the vast majority it will be more than fine. However if you plan on wheeling it hard, like banging rocks hard or where you need maximum articulation, look for a more beefy kit with better suited joints. Also make sure to budget for the trackbars if going with any kit that doesn't include them. Keeping the axle centered as possible is always a nice thing.
Cool, thanks for the info
I think i will be building a "mall crawler" lol as i have seen it called. I probably wont be wheeling to hard and or often.
Your jeep looks beautiful. sorry to change the focus of the thread temporarily!

OP
OP
Extremneon

Extremneon

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool, thanks for the info
I think i will be building a "mall crawler" lol as i have seen it called. I probably wont be wheeling to hard and or often.
Your jeep looks beautiful. sorry to change the focus of the thread temporarily!
No worries at all..

Sponsored

Bulldog4xFour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ5, 2022 JLUS 4xe, 2022 JT Mojave
I paid just over 50k for my loaded rubicon and sold the the suspension wheels and axles for 6k . Now I have a loaded loaded 2021 rubicon diesel on one tons and 40s for less than MSRP 👍
You must have gotten a killer deal on your Rubicon, where I'm at MSRP on Diesel Rubicons are in the 60K range.

Bobbys

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
You must have gotten a killer deal on your Rubicon, where I'm at MSRP on Diesel Rubicons are in the 60K range.
I just paid 65k for mine
Granted i have every option under the sun but still. it was a bit nuts.
They wouldn't even negotiate a dollar on it and told me to take a hike if i didnt like it

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
I paid 48 and change for mine. It takes some looking and willingness to travel...maybe a lot, but dealers willing to drop below invoice, even substantially below invoice are out there.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Hello,

My name is Joe Roberts and live in Montgomery, Alabama. I purchased a 2021 Jeep Rubicon JL from a dealership in North Carolina with the diesel motor In December 2020, with the intension of modifying it over the long term (10 years+) for my son (currently 5 YOA). With the sole purpose so we can work on it together over the years and hopefully he can have it when he starts driving.

This is bold statement coming from a person who has done nothing but buy and sell muptible vehicles over the years. I have owned and worked on tons of things from Mustangs, Vipers, GTR, Hellcats, CTSV, Raptors, Corvettes, etc.. and now this is my 5th Jeep. I have owned 1984 CJ7, 1993 Jeep YJ, 2013 Jeep Jk, 2016 Jeep Jk and now this 2021 Jeep JL. I have modified all the Jeeps except the 2013 Jeep Rubicon 10th Anniversary I had.

So I have started this thread to have over the years and hopefully one day have the privilege of given it to my son and hopefully in still the same love I have for all things automotive. My enjoyment or hobby is the modification of the vehicle, the time researching and working on it in the garage. The interest it brings from others when they see it and looks its brings from something that is just unique and sometimes over the top.

I have never been big in actually offroad driving, mudding or rock crawling etc... to be honest. I think the Starbuck drive-thru jokes are funny and Mall Crawler etc.. Maybe that is something that can change for me over this build and I can make more of commitment to use the Jeep more for what it is built for.

So with that said, here is my Jeep that I purchased back on December 2020..

Doesn't look like this today.. lol.. Started modifying it from the very start.
I admire your restraint on planning a long-term build. I enjoy the planning/modification process but I tend to do it in a whirlwind of activity and then...I'm done (too soon). It's kind of like the mixed feeling you get with a really good book: You hurry through, because you're enjoying it, but the book ends too soon.
Sponsored