jgram1040

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon 4D
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a 2021 Jeep Wrangler JLUR in February 23' as my dedicated daily driver and weekend warrior trail rig. I have had a ZJ and WJ in the past but this is my first wrangler platform build and I could not be happier with my rig so far. The JLUR will serve as my daily driver while also a weekend trail rig to explore the mountains I call home here in Colorado as well as the surrounding areas in Utah, Arizona and beyond.

The build itself will be some what restrained in comparison to my previous builds but I wanted something newer, more comfortable and still a reliable daily driver offroad rig. I have been planning this build for awhile now and have come up with a budget so things will remain within reason while still splurging on some extras here and there.

Currently the rig has roughly 11,000 miles on it and has been a pavement princess so far with the recent addition of some meaty tires and a Clayton off road kit sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. The purpose of this journal is to share my build, my experiences and my thought process in upgrading the Jeep, please feel free to follow along and ask any questions along the way.

Vehicle Specs:
2021 Wrangler JLUR 2.0L Turbo w/ 8-Speed Auto
Metal Bumpers w/ Smittybilt X20 12k Winch
Rock Trix 17x9 4.5 (-12) Offset
35x11.5 "C" Toyo Open Country AT3
Clayton Off Road Ride Right 2.5" Lift

Upcoming Modifications:
Clayton Control Arm Kit / Upgrade to Overland Plus Kit
Falcon Steering Stabilizer
RedRock HD Tire Carrier Brace
Fishbone Rock Sliders
Upgraded Sway Bar Endlinks (JKS)
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
jgram1040

jgram1040

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon 4D
Got my Clayton Ride Right 2.5" Lift installed over the weekend coupled with Falcon SP 2.1 Shocks. Everything feels great so far, planning to go wheeling this weekend as a shakedown with Moab scheduled for 3 weeks from now. Loving the Toyo AT3s coupled with current setup everything feels like butter.

So far, I do not see the need for a steering stabilizer but I plan to replace the stock one here in the next year as I'm told they wear out relatively quickly and I would like it to be a bit more firm. Happy medium right now between some slack in the steering but feels good on the highway but could be better.

Excuse the dirtiness of the Jeep but we got a snowstorm followed by melt this week and I have not had a chance to clean up the rig.

After Lift Kit

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 JLUR Daily Driver Off-Road Rig 20230329_160159

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 JLUR Daily Driver Off-Road Rig 20230329_160207

Last edited:

Electrified

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
Wow! looks like you definitely gained a couple inches of ride height. Looks great!

OP
OP
jgram1040

jgram1040

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon 4D
Thank you, definitely picked up a few inches, will take final measurements in a few weeks once everything settles and gets a chance to be broke in.

Sponsored

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Staying with 35s as this is my daily and i want to avoid the additional expenses of regearing.
This is my daily driver on 37s. No drop in gas milage or drop in power compared to my 35s and no regearing. The only added expense was the rear tire carrier. Then again, sea level in SoCal compared to mile high Colorado might be different results with the stock gearing. If you have a friend with 37s you should borrow/swap them for a day to see the difference.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 JLUR Daily Driver Off-Road Rig 1680143767823

Electrified

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
This is my daily driver on 37s. No drop in gas milage or drop in power compared to my 35s and no regearing. The only added expense was the rear tire carrier. Then again, sea level in SoCal compared to mile high Colorado might be different results with the stock gearing. If you have a friend with 37s you should borrow/swap them for a day to see the difference.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 JLUR Daily Driver Off-Road Rig 1680143767823
What lift are you running?

OP
OP
jgram1040

jgram1040

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon 4D
Good looking rig, I wish I could run 37s but it's not just an option for me for this rig. I have buddies down in Denver who run 37s on their JLURs and they've all ended up regearing in the end. You can definitely get away with it but I don't want to do things halfway.

Living where I do at 9000ft above sea level has it's disadvantages when it comes to running big tires. The main one being that my roads are the furthest thing from flat and with this elevation + 35's I am already finding my rig missing 8th gear from time to time and holding its shifts higher and longer. If I were back in the Midwest on the great plains I would have 37's but here, that's not an option unless I want to regear, lose even more gas milage and shovel out more $$ for AT 3 peak rated 37s.

I'll leave the 37's to my 2500 and keep the Jeep the way it is for now, who knows what the future holds.

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon