2021 JLUR alternator warranty issues

Greek1980

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wrangler unlimited rubicon
So I took my new JLUR with 1700 miles through some mud. Take it home and the check engine light comes on. It’s also making a whining noise. Took it to the dealer they say I got dirt and sand in the alternator. They say the alternator,idler pulley and belt need to be replaced. And it is not covered under warranty. They tell me it’s $2,798 to make repairs. What are your thoughts? Should I take it to another dealer? Or just suck it up and buy a new alternator and replace it myself? Thanks in advance....
Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
So I took my new JLUR with 1700 miles through some mud. Take it home and the check engine light comes on. It’s also making a whining noise. Took it to the dealer they say I got dirt and sand in the alternator. They say the alternator,idler pulley and belt need to be replaced. And it is not covered under warranty. They tell me it’s $2,798 to make repairs. What are your thoughts? Should I take it to another dealer? Or just suck it up and buy a new alternator and replace it myself? Thanks in advance....

Make sure engine bay and undercarriage is clean and try taking it to another dealer...It's not like you were playing in the mud in a damm Prius! I have had many a 4x4 in the mud over the years and never took out an alternator... Did you take it to the dealer where you purchased it?

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Let's go out on a limb and say the alternator needs to be replaced. There's still no way the idler pulley and belt need to be replaced. That's standard with a new alternator, but at just 1,700 miles! Find another dealer.

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
It’s amazing the amount of commercials with the wrangler blasting around in snow and sand, driving through creeks like they are fording the river in the old Oregon trail game, and climbing over mountains.

But the first time you do it in your Jeep and have an issue, they deny the warranty claim because you went off road.

Trail rated - just don’t take it off road or you’ll void your warranty. Maybe there is some fine print on the trail rates badges that say this, just need to look closer possibly?

Sponsored

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Always, always, always make sure your jeep is spotless inside, outside, underneath and under the hood before taking it to a shop for repairs.

mgarciaknight

First Name
MG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU80
Read your story online about a month ago. Wondered what actually happened with Jeep/FCA. So what about the “bumper to bumper” warranty? All those items are within those boundaries.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Let's go out on a limb and say the alternator needs to be replaced. There's still no way the idler pulley and belt need to be replaced. That's standard with a new alternator, but at just 1,700 miles! Find another dealer.
I have seen several JLUs who have had to replace idler pulleys due to mud.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have seen several JLUs who have had to replace idler pulleys due to mud.
That's crazy. Maybe I need to cancel my order. I've caked my CJs and TJ in mud and never had an issue with any drivetrain components. Are they using minivan parts again?

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
That's crazy. Maybe I need to cancel my order. I've caked my CJs and TJ in mud and never had an issue with any drivetrain components. Are they using minivan parts again?
They are using nice heavy duty alternators. Some knowledgeable folks on the JT forum, like folks who have worked on cars, taken/repaired alternators, dont seem to think these alternators are bad.

This thread is somewhat similar to yours
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...y-warranty-after-taking-it-through-mud.38337/

Sponsored

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They are using nice heavy duty alternators. Some knowledgeable folks on the JT forum, like folks who have worked on cars, taken/repaired alternators, dont seem to think these alternators are bad.

This thread is somewhat similar to yours
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...y-warranty-after-taking-it-through-mud.38337/
Wow! Does Stella understand that the majority of the population in the US lives East if the Mississippi where mud is the biggest obstacle, not rocks. I know I ordered a Rubicon, but it will see more mud and sand-covered trails than the actual Rubicon trail. If they cancelled my warranty because of mud, I might just have to pull out the spare alternator I have for my CJ, slap it in the Rubi and 4-lo it thru the dealership window. This is utter BS! It should be made for mud. And, yes, I've actually pulled and rebuilt the entire engine in my '83 CJ and about the only component I haven't had to replace is the alternator which is covered in mud as we speak.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So looking at the JT forum, it seems that a lot of newbies are buying Jeeps and are not expecting much from them. An alternator is an electrical device, but the windings are insulated with varnish so you should be able to get it wet and muddy as I have numerous times with my older Jeeps. The ONLY reason that an alternator AND an idler pulley or tensioner would fail due to mud would be bad bearings. These should be sealed against dirt and water, but they obviously got a bad batch or have a design issue. If this guy's engine wasn't hydo-locked, then the Jeep should have been in an acceptable environment. If Stella disagrees, then I seriously do need to cancel my Rubicon order and just drop $20k in my TJ. I will take this new Jeep into some serious mud. That's why I'm paying for lockers. All the folks defending FCA have never taken an older Jeep thru the mud. These vehicles should be more mud-resistant thru continuous improvement in engineering and component development, not light and fluffy because the bean counters want to save money.

NBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Seems you cowboys might want to first establish the OP's vehicle even has an alternator and that's indeed what we are talking about here. I'm curious myself about the eTorque's durability and replacement cost.
Sponsored