First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
The 3.5" lift on 35s doesn't look as bad as I thought it would. Makes me think a 2.5" lift on 35s will be perfect for me then since I already have the tires.
So...keep in mind that you’ll also lose about 1/2” to 1” when you mount a steel bumper and winch after
Sponsored

gpd219

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2015 Rubicon
So...keep in mind that you’ll also lose about 1/2” to 1” when you mount a steel bumper and winch after
Agree! I was leaning towards 2.5 and decided to go with 3.5. Glad I did!

Datjeeptho

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I had the same question when I bought my JLUR and fortunately my friend (GPD219) had his modded with the same suspension lift but on 35s. So after driving his JLUR and checking it out, I decided to do 37s. Here is the side by side comparison for anyone looking to do the same.

Both 2021 JLUR
Both on JKS 3.5" lift
GPD219's JLUR is on the Fox 2.0 shocks and mine is on the Fox 2.5 shocks
GPD219's is on stock Rubicon wheels with BFG KO2 35x12.5x17, I am on BFG KO2 37x12.5x17 with the Nomad wheels 17x8.5 with zero offset and 4.75" BS

We did the back to back drive and the only difference is that mine needs to have a little more caster dial'ed in to have the same rock solid feel that's on GPD219's 35s. Other than that, you could hardly tell the difference driving. It is obviously higher, but not by much as you can see from the picture. Hope this helps anyone looking to go to 35s or 37s.

Cheers
IMG_4162.jpg

close up
IMG_4172.jpg

different angle
IMG_4167.JPG
Did you regear for the 37s?

if not, what’s the weight of your wheel tire combo?

OP
OP
KAMIECON

KAMIECON

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Did you regear for the 37s?

if not, what’s the weight of your wheel tire combo?
I did not re-gear and I do not notice any loss in drive ability. The weight was right around 110 lbs per wheel. I have an eight speed auto and 3.6L engine that is bone stock. I have a flashcal computer to re-program it and have no issue getting up to 80mph on the freeway. It's a great combo for the street/trail.

Sponsored

Datjeeptho

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I did not re-gear and I do not notice any loss in drive ability. The weight was right around 110 lbs per wheel. I have an eight speed auto and 3.6L engine that is bone stock. I have a flashcal computer to re-program it and have no issue getting up to 80mph on the freeway. It's a great combo for the street/trail.
Thank you for the reply.

I am trying to figure out whether to go to 37s or 35s. I want 37s but the feedback on whether you have to regear or not is so inconsistent. 110 lbs per wheel is around where I would end up depending on the tire.

It will be my daily driver and I will also be taking it offroad quite a bit but not sure how much I will rock crawl.

OP
OP
KAMIECON

KAMIECON

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Thank you for the reply.

I am trying to figure out whether to go to 37s or 35s. I want 37s but the feedback on whether you have to regear or not is so inconsistent. 110 lbs per wheel is around where I would end up depending on the tire.

It will be my daily driver and I will also be taking it offroad quite a bit but not sure how much I will rock crawl.
I drove my friend's JLUR in the picture and I think it is a very sensible mod for the JL Rubi. probably the best cost/perf for a rig that will spend >50% of the time on roads to get to the trails...which is 90% of us. I just wanted to out mod my buddy... lol. j/k.

docwilson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Here you go

3A14C3BA-0AF1-4DC7-8C8F-B589E049B2AB.jpeg

Rear
A0E87E30-830C-4ABC-BE01-26695FBF72CF.jpeg
44DC09FD-77E1-474E-BED2-55917ED26B42.jpeg
This is very helpful. I've been in process of selecting wheels for our red JLUR (on order) and trying to determine best offset/BS. This looks good. Still struggling with the 35 vs. 37 decision though... lol

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
When comparing 35 vs 37, is the weight or the diameter MORE of an issue for wear & tear on other parts and MPGs. I am down to either the largest 35s (true to size) Nitto Ridge Grappers or the smallish 37s BFG KM3. Both weight almost the same, so does that mean they have the same affect on MPGs & ball joints & brakes & stuff?

Sponsored

OP
OP
KAMIECON

KAMIECON

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
When comparing 35 vs 37, is the weight or the diameter MORE of an issue for wear & tear on other parts and MPGs. I am down to either the largest 35s (true to size) Nitto Ridge Grappers or the smallish 37s BFG KM3. Both weight almost the same, so does that mean they have the same affect on MPGs & ball joints & brakes & stuff?
I’m not an expert but the weight is slightly more with the larger tire for sure. But not all 35s and 37s are the same. It depends on the type of tire. The larger diameter and heavier the weight, the worse you’ll create wear and tear on your components and have worst mileage. No doubt. But the larger the tire diameter, the better roll over clearance you’ll have when wheeling. It’s like a 29” tire on a mountain bike versus a 26” tire. It’s like having an extra 3” of “suspension”. Keep it mind it doesn’t change at all the clearance from the body to the axle. That’s a function of suspension lift (longer shocks and coils). At least that’s my uneducated thoughts on it.

I don’t think you can go wrong either way. It’s plenty more capable stock than I’m capable of anyways. So anything more than stock is bonus.

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
Well, I had the same question when I bought my JLUR and fortunately my friend (GPD219) had his modded with the same suspension lift but on 35s. So after driving his JLUR and checking it out, I decided to do 37s. Here is the side by side comparison for anyone looking to do the same.

Both 2021 JLUR
Both on JKS 3.5" lift
GPD219's JLUR is on the Fox 2.0 shocks and mine is on the Fox 2.5 shocks
GPD219's is on stock Rubicon wheels with BFG KO2 35x12.5x17, I am on BFG KO2 37x12.5x17 with the Nomad wheels 17x8.5 with zero offset and 4.75" BS

We did the back to back drive and the only difference is that mine needs to have a little more caster dial'ed in to have the same rock solid feel that's on GPD219's 35s. Other than that, you could hardly tell the difference driving. It is obviously higher, but not by much as you can see from the picture. Hope this helps anyone looking to go to 35s or 37s.

Cheers
IMG_4162.jpg

close up
IMG_4172.jpg

different angle
IMG_4167.JPG
Thanks for the comparison at your freaking mansion... :D What job do you have and are they hiring?

You show me a paystub for $72,000 and I'm gonna quit my job right now and I work for you.

But seriously, the difference isn't that much for all the extra money you have to put into it with drive shafts, axels, brakes, cost of larger rubber, etc. This helped me solidify my decision on 35s.
Sponsored